Second Street Irregulars Photo Album Nov. 9, 2007

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

kfactor @ Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:45 am wrote: ... I took 95 photos over the weekend! ! I plan to post a few, soon - right now the files are all too big for posting here... A little tweaking should do it! ...
I am looking forward to seeing your photos, too, Kristin! :grin:

kfactor @ Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:45 am wrote: ... Clearly, from the pictures, it was a bad hair weekend for me, but Muttoneaters don't let vanity get in the way of investigation - and fun! :geek:
No need to sweat the small stuff! :wink:
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Stained glass at the Millicent Library which was being built in memory of Henry Rogers' daughter Millicent who died at age 17. This building was going up during Emma's stay at the Brownells, as well as the Town Hall across the street.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Flowers for Alice- who in my opinion, next to Eli Bence, could have packed a real wallop to the defense if only. . . .
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Kristin- make sure to take 30 years off my face and 50 pounds off my hips! This is an eerie shot of special guest Jill Dalton, star of this past summer's production of Lizzie Borden Live (in N.J.) standing in the dim light of the cellar at #92. We asked her to strike Lizzie's stance and smile- and she sure came close!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The evening tour of the Congregational Church on Rock Street began here, in the foyer just outside the etched glass doors into the sanctuary, now called The Great Hall, where banquets are held now.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

While waiting for our dinners to arrive, we had some awards and presentations and also a crossword puzzle. JoAnn received the second highest amount of correct answers and her prize- pear earrings! We thought she looked like Carmen Miranda! Richard had 31 out of 40 correct and won- his prize, a goodie bag of AXE cologne and bath products for men! I will try to upload the crossword puzzle onto Warps and Wefts as a thumbnail for you all to try. We would not let Len try it- he would have won in a minute!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Shelley, you're correct about what I said regarding "66 Union Street." According to Mr. Rebello, the Brownells were living there at the time of the trial, so when Emma stayed in Fairhaven at the time of her testimony, it would have been there.

I'm just taking Mr. Rebello's word, here, I have not looked up the Brownells in the 1893 street list yet.

As with most of Fairhaven, Union Street's numbering changed, so that house is no longer 66.

Chris
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

#36 -and enough already from me! Here are the four original Second Street Irregulars who attended, standing on the front steps of #92- Len Rebello, myself, Barb MacDonald and Debbie Shannon. Ed Thibault keeps early hours and Ken Souza has gone missing.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

EEK! Shelley, regarding photo #24 in Pumpernickel's: I generally try to discourage the posting of photos that show the top of my head without a hat. . .

Kristin, at least you HAVE hair. . .
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Okay just one more- I forgot to add this incredible mini-Canterbury Cathedral smack in the middle of Fairhaven, built by benefactor Henry H. Rogers to replace the very nice older wooden structure. I believe this tower is the tallest thing in Fairhaven and just up the Street from 19 Green Street on the corner on the way to Fort Phoenix.
Angel

Post by Angel »

I say, I really am having a hard time liking the name "The Second Street Irregulars." It sounds like we're all constipated. Isn't there something else we could use with a little more pizzazz?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh my- it is a venerable name. If it was good enough for Sherlock Holmes- it must be good enough for us. The Irregulars was Holmes' ragtag bunch of mischievious street urchins whom he sent out on undercover operations -they were indispensible to the Great Master. This group goes back to 1993 when the original 6 met at the 100th Lizzie conference and Len decided to write Past and Present. The chapter for Fall River is The Noble Order of Mutton Eaters a la Baker Street Irregulars scion groups. We are in sterling dectective company! The BSI and their female counterpart- The Adventuresses meet in New York on Conan Doyle's birthday in January. Both groups are extremely exclusive and by invitation only.

And I think Mutton Eaters is too much fun- if you could have seen all the ewe and sheep paraphanalia and references this weekend! We had the Serta Perfect Sleeper lambs on our dashboards! Silly- yeah- but at my age, who cares?
Angel

Post by Angel »

Goodness, I didn't realize it had such a history. Ok, I bend to your wishes.

As for being silly, I'm all for it at any age. At my age I have a blue teddy bear sitting on my fax machine at work. If anyone comes in sick and wanting to lie down I tuck them in with him. They may think I'm nuts, but I don't care. My kids have already told me that- it's no big news. :lol:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The Mutton Eater's Crossword is now available at the Warps and Wefts (sanctaflora) link below. Just click on the crossword photo and print out a hard copy to try. We had some fun with it Friday night while awaiting dinners to arrive.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

ok, I'm going to try my best to post some of the photos I took. Don't worry I won't post all 65. It seems everyone just had so much fun I know we did & are really looking forward to Dec. Thanks to Richard's tutorial on how to format photos I'm going to try.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Well, here goes. First I must apologize because I'm totally horrible with names, BUT I'm really good with faces. So if we meet somewhere I'll just ask for our handshake!!!! All of these photos are for the forum only, also for use by forum members only.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Image some of the Mutton Eaters.[/url]
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Well I'll keep trying to figure this out!! Under options it says HTML if off, where would I go to change this?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

After you upload your photo to Photobucket, highlight the BOTTOM of the three options under your picture, then hold down the CTRL at the bottom left of your keypad and at the same time hit the C on your keyboard. That will hold the info on your memory board, then click on your posting box on the forum and hold down CTRL again and use the V key to transfer the image code to your post.
GilC

Post by GilC »

Here is the link for the gallery of The Great Hall (Central Congregational Church).

The Great Hall
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Anybody besides me notice a resemblance here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I guess it must be true that we grow to look like our best friends- or our dogs in some cases! I am looking to see if I have any wirehaired fox terrier characteristics! This is my dog Caesar (named for Edward VII's fox terrier) who has me wrapped right around his little paw. He prefers human company to that of his mate, Emma Borden- but then, Emma always was sort of "schoolmarmy"!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Actually, Chris, there's more of a resemblance here:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A book shall be an axe for the frozen sea within us -- Franz Kafka
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh DEAR!! I should worry!!! :shock: :lol: :wink:
Angel

Post by Angel »

Shelley, you do not look like Lizzie! You have a very pretty, sweet face. And your dog is absolutely adorable!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Here's a nice little detail from one of the photos that Shelley posted.
Click to enlarge.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh I don't mind LOOKING like Lizzie- as long as I don't ACT like her! :peanut19:
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's a cool link, GilC- Thanks!!

Did you get your Photobucket thing worked out Nadzieja?
kfactor

Lizzie's Courtroom Seat?

Post by kfactor »

Many of us sat in this spot, imagining Lizzie covering her face with her fan.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Here's an upwards angle inside Central Congregational. It's a vast space. One can only imagine what it was like on a Sunday morning full of organ music and light through the stained glass.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Here's a shot of the bar off to the side. This shot also gives you a sense of just how large the space is.

Click to enlarge.
Don

Pics From Nov 9th 07 This Is My First Post I Hope This Works

Post by Don »

Don

A Few More Pics From Nov 9th

Post by Don »

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

These came out really well. I am wondering where that stained glass window is located? Very nice photo of Len holding forth on the city tour!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

The little house on Green Street is a wonderful little period building. With some nice lime green vinyl siding, handsome plastic polypropylene replacement windows, popsicle width corner boards, shinny aluminum soffits and eaves and a nice gray steel door it will look like a million bucks. :-?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice photos. Photos are always fun to see, makes me feel like I came along.

Good old Leonard, always the consummate teacher. You look great Len !

Thanks for posting the photos everyone.....very enjoyable.
Don

Post by Don »

Hi Shelly, The photo with the stained glass window was in Fairhaven where we met and started the tour with Fairhaven Guy {Chris}, I should have labeled the pics Sorry.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Thanks for the marvelous photos, Don. You did great for your first attempt at posting.

And welcome to the forum!
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Here is a bit of trivia that may surprise many here.

In the photo above, the one with Len blessing the group, thanks Len; just behind Len and Jeff stands PLOURDE'S BAKERY.........back in the 50s and 60s it was not located there but instead stood a block north and across the street from the public library. Plourde's Bakery is famous in Fall River as the bakery which baked and supplied President JOHN F. KENNEDY'S wedding cake. :smile:
Harry

Post by Harry »

mbhenty @ Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:06 pm wrote::smile: The little house on Green Street is a wonderful little period building. With some nice lime green vinyl siding, handsome plastic polypropylene replacement windows, popsicle width corner boards, shinny aluminum soffits and eaves and a nice gray steel door it will look like a million bucks. :-?-
LOL! Maybe some artificial turf too so the lawn wouldn't have to be mowed.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Don

Post by Don »

Thanks Harry, I was worried I was going to screw this post up, I just have to remember to label the photos next time, It will make it easier for everyone as to where the photos were taken.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

mb, Lime Green vinyl siding is only available west of Westport (and east of Somerset), although pink siding turns up here and there in New Bedford.

Shelley, the great window is above the balcony in the Town Hall auditorium. You have to get about three quarters of the way into the room and then turn around in order to see it.
Kat

Post by Kat »

:peanut19: Love the revised signature line Christopher!

Yes thank you Don for the fine photos!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Here's the cat.

Click to enlarge.
Barbara

Plourdes Bakery

Post by Barbara »

I don't put myself in the same category as a President,just a hair lower after all I am a Borden,but I had my wedding cake made at Plourdes.I hear they are closing,very sad.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Great pics, everyone, thanks for sharing them with us. Looks like a fun group and that you were all thoroughly enjoying the day. :grin:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Hi everybody, I'm going to try again with the photos. I'll get them on eventually. My computer started freezing up the past few days. I'm scheduled to work the next 3 days, 12 hours per day, so please be patient. I find myself smiling looking at these pics. They are just wonderful, I was actually glad we are making Dec. because it was so sad when the day was over. However Dec. is something to look forward to. One of the best pics I got was of all the lady sleuths standing together that morning, everybody looks just great. So I'll be trying to post the pics again soon. Have a good weekend everybody!!!! Also I just found out I have the May gathering dates off YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So it will be down to Fall River on that Saturday.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Vintage light fixture in the court house law library
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

A very special guest for our gathering was Bob Shaw from New York, who is just about the kindest guy you would ever meet and sure Lizzie didn't do it! Bob has stayed at the house more than any other guests over the years since #92 opened. Friday the 9th was his birthday and the Deputy Chief let us all have a moment in the judge's chair. Bob was particularly excited about this and I believe some of his other birthday surprises that day. It is hard to imagine 3 judges in that little space as one large chair takes up most of the box. It was an amazing feeling looking out at the court and picturing it in 1893.
Richard

Post by Richard »

One of the high points of my trip was meeting Bob. By coincidence, it turns out that Bob and I lived about two subway stops away from each other for about 17 years. He is a Kew Gardens, Queens man, and I was a Forest Hills guy. In my college days, I used to hang out in his neighborhood all the time.

Kew Gardens, as some of you true-crime folks may now, is where the Kitty Genovese rape/murder took place. That was the case in which a woman's murder was heard by dozens of surrounding neighbors for over an hour but no one called the police.

Forest Hills is where the Son of Sam killed two of his victims. The two separate shootings happened just blocks from where I lived.

Ah! Queens!!!