Victorian House Tour 2007

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

Victorian House Tour 2007

Post by Shelley »

Amazingly the tour went off as scheduled yesterday. Most of the Mutton Eaters who had planned to rendez-vous never made it due to snow and ice, sleet, rain, slush, and a miserable mix of conditions. The streets of Fall River were treacherous yesterday with mounds of snow piled everywhere, gutters flooded with melting and slush, and parking all but impossible. Yet, Cemetery Jeff and I made it -somehow- to every single house and in spite of the mess, had a ball visiting the houses and the people in them. Sadly, the turnout was very feeble, so Jeff and I got LOTS of cookies and goodies and time with the fascinating people who live in these houses. We found lots of Lizzie people among the house owners, and Lizzie books on coffee tables. We toured some of the houses with the lady who owns the Whitehead house now. It was worth the shaky and nerve-wracking drive up from CT.! Pix coming tonight. Bitter cold here today with wind chills and a high of maybe 25 for the day. Brrrrr..... New England- gotta love it!
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

What a brave soul you are Shelley! I hate driving in that kind of weather, I even hate being driven in it! Can't wait for the pictures!!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Conditions being such, (terrible and very sloppy, snow) if the powers at be are to do the right thing, that is to say, those who collected the fee and sponsored the house tour, should give everyone who missed this tour a "free rain ticket" to the next house tour or their money back.

I was very surprised that it was not called off. The weather was so lousy. It just did not seem right to have a group of people track in snow, ice and mud into all these great old Victorians. Neither did it seem fair to expect everyone to attend. The weather was just not suitable. :-?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Does the ticket price go to some kind of cause or charity?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yes, the Fall River Preservation Society for sure-
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

I'm really sorry we didn't make it. We had about 6 inches of snow. The type of snow that doesn't come straight down but blows in sideways. I couldn't see us going through Providence then over the Bragga Bridge. I was afraid we would go over it the wrong way. I took a day from work anyways so I stayed home, but it looks like most of the people on my shift called in & didn't show up. I'm glad you & Jeff had a great time, and I'm sure the grazing was just wonderful. There's always next year. Can't wait to see the pictures.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

It was pretty bad out there, but Shelley and I are tough Mutton eaters
and braved the weather. There were a few people out and about
looking at the homes, but not too many
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

This is the beginning of the adventure- slushing my way up 195E over the Braga behind the snow plow. Fall River had 5 inches of icy snow on the ground and I learned city parking on the street keeps plows from doing a good job. There were mountains of snow on each side of the streets and the gutters were clogged with slush and sleet. Parking was a challenge and Jeff and I got royally stuck on Prospect Street. Somehow, my guardian angel always comes through and we managed to get out of the rut.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

First we popped in at the historical soceity and oooh and ahhhed over the trees. There was a Byzantine decorated tree in the diningroom and a snowflake tree in the parlor. The house was glorious. I will be doing a slide presentation on the FRHS decorations later. The McWhirr's candy store display was up and running again and had lots of great old-fashioned candies. While Jeff hunted for my gloves, I tottered nervously across the street on the ice to the Carr-Osborne house. I am of the age where I mislay things without ever moving an inch and spend a lot of time delving in my huge purse, muttering and clucking to myself. Jeff is very understanding. . . Mr. Carr, among other things, was an artist -mostly marine subjects, and also had an exquisite art gallery on Main Street. The huge residence is now condos I believe. Jeff decided to knock and let 'em know we were ready for house #1
Photo 2
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The door was opened by Sir Charles Jacobs who owns a divine house on Rock Street. He is a retired chap who is also an antiques dealer and has helped to find us stuff for #92. He is loads of fun and likes to dress up in vintage costume. He had on his tux and top hat with a red band and sprig of holly on the day! His lovely wife was there too in Victorian garb of chocolate brown velvet. She has the sweetest face and ought to be on the front of a candy box! - and of course we chatted Lizzie. This is the top of the pier mirror in one of the parlors. Red Velvet Florist did the decoration this year. I love the acqua- it was perfect for the room.
Photo#3
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The front entry hall is enormous, with a parlor opening off each side and a diningroom at the end. Of course now these are furished as office spaces for the condo rentals but all the great details are still there.
Photo4
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

There seemed to be no end to the fireplaces. That's me in the mirror in the doofy Jane Austen hat taking the photo. I had a pretty green plaid tafetta "Lizzie dress" made for the day but in that slush and sleet, Jeff and I bundled up for the onslaught with not a vain thought in our heads.
photo5
Kat

Post by Kat »

Wow- so the house was all dolled up professionally and not many came? That's too bad!

Thanks for the pictures!
(We're glad you take such good care of Shelley, Jeff!) :cat:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

There was not a great deal to see upstairs but we just had to ascend and descend that glorious staircase. I felt like Scarlett O'Hara at Tara!
Photo6
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

One of many fresh evergreen swags, wreaths and roping. Nice to see REAL greens. They also smelled heavenly!
Photo 7
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

This is the dear lady who lives in the Oliver Gray house, or as some refer to it, the Whitehead house. You are going to ask me her name, but it has gone right out of my head. When we see each other she just says "Lizzie!- remember me from the yardsale" and I just beam and start gabbing. She has promised to come see me New Year's Eve at #92. We had a great gabfest about the house last summer when I stopped at her yardsale with LeeAnn. She had a few things to tell us about the inside and we had PLENTY to tell her! Sorry this is blurry but I forget to stand still when snapping away.
Photo #8
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

One of many original fixtures
Photo 9
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I always send Jeff up the stairs first to check for ice! We pulled up to this great old Painted Lady on Prospect and I decided I would plow right into the slush on the curb and park there. This is the house where we got stuck and had to dive into the slop to dig out my tires. After some revving and praying, laughing hysterically and wailing, I laid rubber and peeled out going backwards 20 MPH.
Photo 10, 11, 12

The house was owned by a great gal named Darnelle dreessed in a size 2 Victorian black velvet dress who loved to chitchat. She showed us these great plaster raised embossed molding panels in the parlor and on the ceiling. I noticed a pile of Lizzie books on her coffee table and Victorian Vista by Silvia- the Lizzie years. I covet that book! It's midnight, so more tomorrow!
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

Oh wow!! Thanks for the pictures Shelley!! Everytime I look at the pictures it just makes me hungry for more!!! I was born and raised in Quincy Illinois, and Quincy Mass, became out sister city some years ago, anyway, there's alot of painted ladies, in town that decorate and have tours, my daughter and I are going to try to make it in and check them out. Maybe she'll let me borrow her camera. I just live 15 miles from there so if the weather holds, we are gonna try.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Very nice, Shelley. They must be something to see decorated.

A gold medal to you and Jeff for braving the elements.

Can't they extend the time for the tours? I assume they will all be decorated through Christmas.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh Harry! Seeings as you are awake- here is a house we both love- the Sanford house on Lincoln. Two weeks ago a troop arrived and painted this gem. She is my favorite painted lady. It is about 4 p.m. here in the twilight- what a lovely thing. She never fails to cheer me up just looking at her.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Oh, yeah, that one is a classic. The snow just adds to its beauty.

Some of these houses would make great covers for Christmas cards.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Actually Harry, I was going to suggest to the Preservation Society that they produce a calendar for sale as a fundraiser of some of these amazing houses. There are two at the corner of Prospect and Rock which knock my socks off too. The Lincoln Street house is a classic. I am not too sure I love the strong peach color, but it would take a lot to take the glow off that house. It almost looks like a little girl's doll house. Ornaments made of this one would sell like hotcakes at Christmas.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Just lovely! I adore that staircase.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Darnelle turned out to be from New Bedford, thus this whaling painting in the front foyer. All those houses had such great large entry halls. Her house was not actually decorated very Victorian-more traditional and some Colonial. Jeff and I had a peep upstairs. Darnelle was into that Wedgewood blue and rose so popular back in the 80's. We trotted into the kitchen for hot cider and a yummy bar cookie that had everything in it-chips, coconut, graham cracker crust. There was even a fireplace in the kitchen.
Image I think she was sorry to see us leave. Her girlfriend had on a gorgeous bottle green taffeta dress and hat. Here is a photo of it, I was laughing so hard it came out blurry. Nice side niches in the foyer on each side of the door.
Darnelle had come out with a salty expression worthy of a sailor and the sound of such a petite ladylike soul encased in black velvet and lace saying it made me chortle. I can see why Lizzie laughed at Bridget opening that door!
We slithered down the front steps and enjoyed getting the car unstuck.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The next stop was to Dr. Caprio's house which is Edwardian (1906) up on Highland Ave. Dr. Caprio was decked out as a Dickens character and having the time of his 70 years' life. He is a retired trauma surgeon, opera buff, world traveler, golfer, and has done about everything. He held forth in fine form- the floors in the house are stunning. Not furnished Victorian, but his wife showed me some nice steel engravings of Queen Victoria and Albert which she had saved from Fall River dump. We were allowed to roam all over and I was mezmerized by Dr. C.'s travel photos. He lives next to the Buddist Temple and explained the house had been vacant so long because nobody wanted to live next to the Temple. Apparently they make great neighbors. We sang a few arias from Tosca and Aida (I think Jeff was ready to have me committed) and bid our great host a sad farewell in the little porch. Did I mention he also has an attic full of costumes and showed us how to make a French Foreign Legion hat out of a flowerpot?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Just diagonally across the street from the Easton tea house is the next house which is also Edwardian (1910) and was inhabited by Martha Stewart and her impeccable husband! The place was so amazing I forgot to take photos. After wading through a puddle of ice slush, I plopped down on the porch and contemplated this glorious door
There was a funny little butler so we sat on the porch and had candy until the door opened and the handsome and dapper owner opened the door.
The house had amazing decor inside, Honduran mahogany, a morning room, a library, formal diningroom and modern kitchen downstairs and a great butler's pantry. The wainscotting and coffered ceilings were the best architectural elements and the winding staircase with the three different turnings on the spindles and a thick mahoghany banister was divine. This was festooned with gilded magnolia leaves and pinecones. Jeff and I bounded up the steps only to find the second floor was barricaded to us interlopers. We enjoyed a chat about mortgage buttons at the foot of the stairs. In New Bedford, if a home is paid for, an ivory or scrimshaw button is inserted into the newel post at the bottom of the stairs. They were enchanted- and so were we. The house inside looked like Better Homes and Gardens- fabulous.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Next was the Annie Slade House on June street not far from Andrew Jennings' home. Poor Mr. Slade never got to live in it- he died first. These were the Slade's Ferry and Slade's mill family. Now the widow Mrs. Sullivan lives there and was a peach. Out she came with a strand of pearls and a sweater set and looked like something out of Masterpiece Theatre. She collects cranberry glass and Christmas Villages. Jeff was enthralled with those. Mostly I exclaimed and went off dithering about her William Morris wallpapers which were everywhere. She is a crackerjack housekeeper and has lovely things in the colonial and traditional style. We had a ball chattering about needlepoint and William Morris and were offered more cider but we had "tanked up" on cocoa at Dr. Caprio's. Nice thing about being among the few -we got lots of goodies!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

This little beauty is just across the street and is a Victorian. 3 out of the 5 "Victorian" homes were actually Edwardian!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

And- the most memorable was last. All day people had told us about this Rock Street house,
It is an art gallery of sorts and was truly a Victorian. "It's odd!"- "Addams Family", TAXIDERMY, "Bizarre- a coffin" said one bug-eyed lady on tour, barely able to spout it out and noticeably shaken from her encounter with the mysterious abode. "Take me to the coffin!", said I to Jeff. Jeff thought it looked dark and gloomy and a little like a Hitchcock set. Norman Bates was not around so we crawled up onto the porch..
As we were shooting the historic plaque the door creaked open and there was a short figure dressed in black with shoulder length hair. I was around for Woodstock so I recognize an "over-50". It was none other than Dr. Cabral who is a Phd from Brown in Anthropology. The house, called Lagoa, which is an acronym for something I cannot recall, houses sculpture and art of the most avant-garde. Jeff lifted one eyebrow and shot me a look. All around were Victorian funeral memento-mouri: casket candlesticks, black palls, dripping saints, statues, -and, in the front parlor window- a wicker coffin. On the mantel were two stuffed owls, a stuffed raven , a large portrait of Edgar Allan Poe, and a lecturn from a gothic church where Dr. C does Poe readings. It was dark. We threaded our way into the kitchen where I saw a purple velvet Victorian chair which I had almost bought at a local antiques store. That seemed like a good topic for conversation. We had a cookie there in the dim kitchen, then crept up the twisting staircase to a most amazing second floor art gallery with abstact NUDES, 5 bedrooms, and a tree surrounded by toy figures from all over the world and nativities. More saints, candles, feathers, and bits from abandoned churches.
Dr. C is also an authority on the Portuguese in Fall River. More wide-eyed looks from Jeff. Well, Dr. C is surely entertaining, and being a Baltimore gal, we got right down to business about Poe and I will be going back to one of his Poe evenings soon. I petted the dead raven before leaving, agreed to give an impromptu Tarot reading next time- and off we went, slightly bewildered. On the way out I wished him a Happy Yule, Winter Solstice- and he wished me a "Blessed Be" which I think is a Wiccan thing. Oh well..... Every photo I took inside came out like this!
What can it mean? A disturbance in the ether? Spirits about to speak? The return of Edgar?
It was cold enough for a bowl of kale soup at Roger's and a hot pastrami sandwich and bread pudding.

Then it was a slippery death-defying obstacle course back to Second Street where I dropped Jeff off at the house. All in all, we were glad we threw caution to the wind and braved the elements. Fall River is full of- interesting characters. :peanut19: :farao: :rainbowfro: :mrgreen: :eggface:
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Shelley @ Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:28 am wrote:...3 out of the 5 "Victorian" homes were actually Edwardian!...
One of my pet peeves...esp on TV while showing houses & they say something like, "And this is our beautiful 1911 Victorian!" :roll:

"Ugh!" will say me. "Queen Victoria died in 1901! Besides, it's a Craftsman!"

Anyway...

Thanks for taking us on tour with you, Shelley. Love seeing these houses.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

Yes thanks so much for sharing the pictures! And for braving the elements to do so!! Will there be any pictures of Christmas at 92nd ??? Can't wait!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I have posted already about the decorations on Second Street- can't recall where at the moment. And there will be plenty of New Year's Eve!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Pics are great! Thanks!
I'm recognizing some of these names and addresses from Neilson Caplain's stories in The Hatchet about Lizzie's walk around French Street.
My Guide Book to Fall River's National Properties, 1984, calls that odd house the "Griffitts M. Haffards House"- note the spelling- and designates this place as a Queen Anne, 1884. None of that matches the plaque! :smile:
In the 1892 City Directory the address used to be 106 Rock. Of course the numbers changed in 1896.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Nice photos, as always, Shelley !

A little recent history about one of the houses:

Recent actions taken with the Haffards property above is a perfect example of Fall River at it's worst. This majestic home is surrounded by a massive 10 foot Victorian stone wall that surrounded a once impressive garden which stood behind the house.

This property was sold not to long ago. In doing so, and as is common practice in Fall River, the owner divided, or tried to divide it, into 3 separate properties, the house, and 2 house lots. All of course to optimize his profit.

He was moving out of town, so what did he care about historical property. But the city should have cared. But you would be wrong about that one.

Some of the neighbors, including myself, complained, objected and wrote letters to the Zoning board and the mayor. But, owning historical property in Fall River carries NO weight.

Just these past couple of weeks they stuck a building behind the Haffard's House. (the new building will now sit between the Haffards House and the Jennings House on June Street)

It just does not belong there and no one but an idiot would give someone permission to develop such vital historical property. :evil: :sad: :sad:
Susan

Post by Susan »

That is so neat, thanks for sharing with us, Shelley. I love how so many of the people get into the spirit and wear vintage attire, what a wonderful tradition. :grin:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Kat

Post by Kat »

They were probably thrilled to see Shelley and Jeff!
I bet they made their day! :santa: