Good Food in Fall River

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

augusta

Good Food in Fall River

Post by augusta »

Just thought I'd share this. I LOVE clam chowder. And every restaurant I go in when I go to New England I gotta order it. Seems everybody makes it different.

One place that is really really good is "Chad's Chowder House". It's at 1160 G.A.R. Highway (Route 6) in Somerset. Phone: (probably area code 518?) 672-5505.

It was this tiny little shack. I was happy to see last spring that they've expanded and built a nice little dining room onto it. And on the back of their menu, it tells all the awards their clam chowder has taken. They have other stuff there - seafood - too. But if you're a chowder hound and you're out there, you might wanna check it out.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Area code is 508.

We've got a good one in Fairhaven, too. The Fairhaven Chowder House, 1 David Drown Blvd. (intersection of Sconticut Neck Rd.) Open Tuesday-Sunday 11 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

Try the smoked fisherman's chowder!

This place was started more than twenty years ago by a former Fairhaven High School music teacher. He was terrific at leading the jazz band, but turned out to be even better as a restaurateur.
Maplecroft2112

Good food

Post by Maplecroft2112 »

There are a lot of good places to eat in Fall River.
China Royal closed a few years ago and that is a tragedy! They had the best chinese food and it still had the authentic old chinese restaurant style.
Last year, my husband and I went to Terra Nostra on Rodman Street and their food was excellent. The best paella I ever had. The Abbey Grille is always wonderful and Venus DeMilo over in Swansea is good-I still have to try one of their famous stuffed lobsters.
After our wedding at Lizzie's, we brought our guests to Magoni's Ferry Landing Restaurant in Somerset and their food is excellent. Everyone was happy and the service is second to none. That's always a nice place to stop when you're in the area.
We're going to Lizzie's next weekend and I am getting excited to see how the new owners are handling the house!
I was married at the Lizzie Borden bed and breakfast on opening day, August 4th, 1996. Would love to correspond with other Lizzie buffs! E-mail me! :-)
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Pam...I have eaten at Terra Nostra, the Abbey Grille and Magoni's. As you say, ALL are wonderful...and RECOMMENDED ! I hope your trip to Lizzie's is another fun one !

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

Last night on the Food Network they replayed
"Fall River Memories" by Emeril, those Portugese
dishes sure look good, seems one would just have
to check out those place while in Fall River, has anyone here sampled that cuisine while in the area?
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Growing up in the New Bedford area, it's hard not to be exposed to Portuguese food and seafood. My neighborhood is quite Portuguese (and my wife is, too). My Polish grandmother cooked as much Portuguese food as Polish. I now live directly next door to the clubhouse of the "Our Lady of Angels Catholic Association." Each Labor Day weekend they hold a three-day "festa" or feast. We spend the whole weekend eating Cacoila (marinated, spiced pork) and Linguica (spicy sausage). Kale Soup is a traditional winter meal.

I'll give an easy kale soup recipe, but you'll probably need to have the linguica shipped to you from up here.

http://www.gasparssausage.com/gaspars/gaslin1.html

1/2 lb. linguica sausage, cut into pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cans beef broth
2 cups water
1 can kidney beans
2-3 medium potatoes, cut into one-inch cubes
1 lb. pkg. chopped, frozen kale

Brown the linguica to remove excess fat, then put into a large soup pan with the chopped onion. Add remaing ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover pan and simmer for at least an hour. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Very yummy. Serve this with a crusty bread.

Now the REAL Portuguese version involves boiling beef bones for hours and growing your own kale and beans, too, but that's too much work for most of us.

I once rented an apartment on Maple Ave. in Swansea, in the home of a nice Portuguese widow who plowed her own fields and raised a hog out back. One Saturday morning I was awakened to a blood curdling scream. It was the hog. A week or so later when I took my rent payment downstairs, Rose had what seemed like a quarter mile of linguica sausage strung up in her pantry. . .
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thanks, Chris, that soup sounds delicious! My mom used to date this Portuguese guy who would bring over this sausage and other Portuguese foods, I don't know if it was Linguica or not? It had the consistency of Pepperoni and could be sliced and eaten as was, it didn't need to be cooked. There is a big Portuguese population in Elizabeth, New Jersey and I think also in Paterson, NJ, there may be shops there too. :smile: