When is the best time to visit Fall River?

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

jamfaws

When is the best time to visit Fall River?

Post by jamfaws »

I am hoping to visit Fall River next year (I live in London) and am wondering when is the best time to go? I couldn't stand to be there when it's real hot or real cold, but I do wanna stay at the B&B and do all the Lizzie hot spots (how many days would I need to take it all in?)

Cheers

Aaron
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Late April through the end of June and mid-September to mid-October are the nicest times of year around here. All summer is pretty nice, though we do get heat/humidity, especially as we approach August 4. . .

I think, you'll want a couple of days in the Fall River area to see most of the Lizzie sites.

If you haven't been here before, there's quite a lot this region has to see. Fall River is about an hour from Boston, about 45 minutes from Plymouth,
about fifteen minutes from Providence, RI, and a hop skip and a jump from Newport, RI.

There's also the beautiful and historical town of Fairhaven, Massachusetts. Shouldn't miss that. . .
Mark A.

Post by Mark A. »

Hear, Hear! Chris is right about the the beautiful and historical town of Fairhaven, Massachusetts.
There is qiute a bit of history packed into that quaint lil' town.
He's also right about when to visit. Good luck, hope to see ya soon and Cheerio!
Mark A.
Kat

Post by Kat »

We visited Newport and Providence and they were well worth the trip there.
I'd say we spent 1/3 of the day in New Bedford , 1/3 in Newport and 1/3 in Providence- after taking Andrew's last walk starting from #92 Second Street and doing the downstreet walkabout in Fall River, starting at 11:15 a.m. That was all in one day, if that gives you any idea.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I have only been there twice, but I would think a 2 day minimum...3 days, even better, in order to take in EVERYTHING...Fall River, Fairhaven, New Bedford, all of it. I am still not sure you could see everything. Then if you want to spend time in Boston...2 more days.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
jamfaws

Post by jamfaws »

Thanks so much everyone!

I think i'll try and leave 3 days aside for that trip, but it needs to coincide with New York (I will fly there first) need to go back to the Lincoln centre.
Is it easy to get to Fall River from New York without flying? i'm guessing you go to Boston and then on to Fall River? sorry i've only ever been to America once in 1998 and that was to New York and I didn't get a chance to do the Lizzie thing, but it's been a 20 year dream of mine to visit the house and area.
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

NO it's not easy,"can't get there from here", don't
expect an easy trip from NY.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

There's an Amtrak train into Providence, RI, from New York.

If you fly, try going to TF Green Airport in Providence. From there it's 95 North to Rte. 195 East in Providence. Only about 30 minutes drive.
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's an extra plane to Providence right?
Is that a "puddle-jumper?"
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Here's the TF Green Airport link http://www.pvdairport.com/default.htm

No international flights, it seems, there are non-stops from all over the country, though.

For Kooreys, there's are non-stop flights on Southwestern from Orlando. This is way better than Logan Airport in Boston. Not only closer to Fall River, but less hassles and traffic. (Logan is also traditionally one of the worst airports in the country for safety. . .)
Kat

Post by Kat »

Well, well, well! No one told me there were non-stops from OIA! Hmmm....

Edit here:
I see it's about $286 plus $17 approx. for extras.
That's about $300 compared to $226 on Delta Song. Maybe that's why I didn't fly non-sop to Providence?
(I didn't make the reservations- Stefani's sponsers did).

Anyway, Harry found a news item about the tunnels to Logan leaking and I think I would pay extra to fly non-stop to/from Providence!!
:-)
Robert Harry

Post by Robert Harry »

It would be very easy to get to Fall River from New York without flying, though it would take some coordinating. You could take the train to Providence, and then take a bus to Fall River--they run regularly and, of course we know that the FR bus station is right across from 92 Second St. Or, as I did once with my fiancee (now wife--we were married on Oct. 23 in Niagara-on-the-Lake Ontario)--take the train to Providence and then take a cab--just ask any driver if he will take you to Fall River--it's only about 1/2 hour or so from Providence. Of course, the taxi is more expensive. I would go for the train-to-bus option.
Hope this helps. Oh, BTW, why not call the B&B and ask them how to get a bus schedule, or maybe one of our Fall Riverites or New Bedfordites can help you out here, as I don't even know the name of the bus company--I have taken a bus from Fall River to Providence, but I forget the name of the bus line.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Bonanza, I think is the bus line you'd want. Toll free: 888-751-8800.

Judging from the yellow pages ad, they might have service directly to NYC. There have daily service to Providence and to TF Green Airport.
jamfaws

Post by jamfaws »

Thanks everyone this is a great help! I think the Train and bus route sounds the best option, it seems like it would be fun to ride the last half hour into Fall River via Bus, looking out of the window and arriving outside The Bordens old house, the month of May2005 looks promising and it's only 6 months away! although how I persuade my boyfriend (of 12 years) to do this trip is beyond me, but I guess if you love me yer gotta love Lizzie too! (or maybe i'll end up with a Hatchet in the back of my head)
Harry

Post by Harry »

Here's the web site for Bonanza bus lines:

http://www.bonanzabus.com/BBcart/catalo ... oston.html
Kat

Post by Kat »

Aaron, how will you get around Fall River without a vehicle?
Not that a vehicle is such a great idea considering how many circles we drove in and how often we got lost.
Stef has driven around Fall River 5 different times and we still shred the map trying to find our way!
jamfaws

Post by jamfaws »

Thanks Harry for the link, Kat, not sure what I will do RE the car, can't drive anyway, and I guess this is naive of me because I always thought that Fall River was a tiny town, guess my mind is still in 1892! not sure what I will do.
Kat

Post by Kat »

OOPS. Well, does anyone have any suggestions?

I can only think that a good bet might be to try and hook up with other Bordenites while there, who have access to a car!
:smile:
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

I think you are SOL Jam, it is a very confusing
city, very disorganized! I remember driving around
there so lost and disoriented, not an easy trip. Everyone is telling you how easy and nice it is, HA,
I'm telling you really it is not easy at all. If you are a good Bordenite trooper you will be fine though!
jamfaws

Post by jamfaws »

Oh dear, I thought it would be so easy to stay at the B&B, do Andrews last walk and pop down the road to Maplecroft (on foot) then do the other sites of interest (especially grave yard, morses bus ride, church etc) I guess i'll have to re-think what i'm doing as even in London I get disorientated walking down streets i've known for years! maybe the lovely Mr Rebello could show me around!!! (by the way is that him in the Lizzie Borden History documentry, doing the house tour?)

Cheers

Aaron
P.S.Nancie what is SOL Jam?
P.P.S.Is the Borden house the only survivng house from that period left on the street?
Kat

Post by Kat »

I was wondering the same thing: what is SOL?
A new one for me- but I don't chat anywhere else but here :smile:

"Jam" is you Aaron! :santa:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Aaron...DO NOT get discouraged ! It really is NOT that hard to get around Fall River. Sure, you might get mixed up on a street or two, but you can always stop and ask for directions. I have found the people of Fall River to be very friendly and accommodating. The B & B may still have maps of some of the Lizzie sites, plus I am sure the new owners & tour guides will be more than happy to point you in the right direction. If you get a chance to come across the pond and see the world of Lizzie Borden...DO IT !

Tracy...
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Jams.... As a fellow European (France) I can assure you that you will be fine...

Can you get about London? Paris? Madrid? Fall River will be a cuppa! I know you said you got a bit disoriented... But people are always willing to help and I am sure they have competent cabbies there.

(whispers... These Americans do drive everywhere as you do know... You will be OK on foot. Get a city map and have a good time....)
Kat

Post by Kat »

Audrey- that's a good question about being on a walk-about in London etc.
We walked everywhere in London or caught a bus.
But have you been to Fall River? :smile: :roll:
And ohmagoddess the directions I got! I got directions from 3 interested people at once! And then they discussed it!

I'm not discouraging you to go, Aaron. Just reminding you it's a long walk. :smile:
Kat

Post by Kat »

To answer your question about the man in the video- at the House, the man welcoming Tom Lange was Ed Thibault, who used to play Andrew in other videos. He is retired now. Len is near the beginning of the show, sitting in a nice chair at the FRHS (a beautiful place for an interview), being interviewed.

Here is another nice house on Second Street, called the 1873 House.
Someone here might tell you more about it?
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

But in Europe... people walk miles without blinking an eye.

My brother walks everyday to the market area with his sling bags and buys stuff for the day and then walks home... With his 2 year old.. It is easily a mile and a half round trip. Of course the French stop for a smoke (he quit) and a drink at a sidewalk cafe on the way home.... But those English are sturdier than we (The French) are. Aaron and his boyfriend will be just fine!
jamfaws

Post by jamfaws »

I see i'm back on track, walking will be fine (and do me good) actually I love to walk and bus everywhere, living in London (all my life-first in the eastend (Bow) then Battersea, then Waterloo, now Brixton) I have never seen the need to drive and as the years go by and more and more people drive around in their gas guzzlers I feel it a duty to be a non driver forever! I went to New York in 1998 and walked everywhere (new shoes and blisters like golf balls) I guess I could always hire a push bike, (i'm assuming Fall River is smaller than New York City?) I just hope I get to see the place next year, i've dreamed of going so long now, when I tell people back here where I want to go and why I want to go and where I want to stay I get some odd looks and dead silences, but then I get the same reaction when I start talking about Silent cinema, if I talked about football all day, drove a flashy car and listened to rap non stop i'd be considered a healthy chap (I think i've had a lucky escape) cheers Aaron
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

c'est la vie Aaron.....
Kat

Post by Kat »

http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/ppf/phot ... Photo.aspx

The 1873 House
Here is the link to a B&B on Second Street- which has the original features of the times of which you asked, Aaron.

It's a converted convent.
http://www.bbhost.com/1873housebb/
jamfaws

Post by jamfaws »

Thanks Audrey! Thanks Kat, the 1873 B&B looks great, i'll have to start saving me pennies, belly is rumberling over that breakfast. Do you know if it was still a convent in 1892? i'm guessing it was as it would have only been 20 years old by then, wonder what the Nuns thought of the whole Lizzie caper?
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

Isn't SOL "s--t out of luck"?

--Lyddie
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Yes, Lyddie...it is.

Tracy...
augusta

Post by augusta »

How exciting - going to Fall River! Good for you! I've went five times. Twice in the summer, and both times were very hot and humid. I don't know if it was coincidence or Fall River is just one of those towns that gets beat on by the sun - maybe protected some by the bay. I do not take heat well.

I've went twice right after Easter. The weather was basically terrific. A couple days of rain. Maybe a couple days where it'd be chilly or windy and cold. But there were days when I'd get my first taste of summer there, being able to go around without a sweater even and having a delicious warm breeze coming in.

I went in the fall this past October - around the last week of the month. It was fabulous. A cool day I remember. But the rest warm and sunny.

It is hard to get around in Fall River. Just when you find the street you want it'll say "One Way". I recommend a good city map of Fall River, which can be ordered online at http://www.travelguidewarehouse.com/
The site is closed thru December 31 at the moment. But I ordered a laminated city map of Fall River - has everything on it - different colored sections to it, you can write on it and wipe it off - folds like a dream. I paid about $6.95 + shipping. I won't go to Fall River without it. I also got one for New Bedford from them, as we got really lost there one day (it was fun, tho. I got to see all of New Bedford!)

I would recommend, as a hotel, the Quality Inn of Somerset, Fall River. It's 5 minutes from Fall River, just over the bridge over the Taunton River. The Borden Flats light is real close to the bridge, too. They have nice, clean rooms. Quiet. Roomy. Free breakfast, which saves some money. An indoor pool. The website is at http://www.qualityinnsomerset.com/ You can see what it looks like.
They charge about $80 for a room with two queen beds in it. They have smoking and non-smoking rooms.

It's great to spend a few days there. But better a week or so. I visited all the little Lizzie towns and it was fascinating! Yes, Fairhaven is beautiful. And the house Emma was visiting on August 4, 1892 still stands.

Marion is incredible. So much other history there! Pete Smith is the curator of the historical society, and he's very knowledgeable. I could live in Marion.

Newport, RI, is like 15 minutes away from Fall River. The mansions of the gilded age millionaires are there (built before income tax laws). Some are preserved and offer tours by bus. Just driving around that area is astounding.

Taunton has this old, gorgeous courthouse. It's probably gonna be redone sooner or later, as inside paint's coming off and stuff.

Providence, RI, is something. Lots of Victorian buildings. And Brown University is there. Tilden-Thurber - where Lizzie shop lifted - is still there. Streets are kinda narrow. And parking is bad. They have a rush hour, which isn't as bad as some cities, but it'd probably make for a nicer trip to avoid it. Lots of restaurants to try there! Supposed to be some great Italian ones there. (I didn't know it till I came back home and saw a show on it on tv...)

The city of Fall River is historical almost everywhere you look. Some of the old mills are still standing and today house other businesses that you can go in - restaurants, clothing store, etc. The Highlands is "The Hill" where Lizzie's mansion is. Andrew Jennings lived on June Street in that area.

It's a good idea to take your own photos. In case you want to write about something later, you don't have to purchase the rights of other people's pictures.

Lizzie's Swansea farm is easy to find. That's not far from the hotel I mentioned. Definitely worth seeing! (Someone lives there, though. But it's even neat to see from the road.)

The Fall River Historical Society could help you before you go if you have questions. And a trip to Fall River isn't quite complete without stopping in. They have a fabulous gift shop. And Michael Martins and Dennis Binette are wonderful.

Oak Grove Cemetery is not far from Lizzie's "Maplecroft". They have arrows painted on the road in the cemetery pointing the way to the Bordens' graves.

Good luck to you! Please remember us and tell us about your trip when you go!
jamfaws

Post by jamfaws »

Thanks for the links and stuff Augusta, makes me wanna jump on a plane right now, that's interesting that they have those little marks to the Borden graves, I guess not a day goes by when someone doesn't visit, I promise to tell all when I come back, cheers Aaron