Headed to Lizzie's !!!

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Susan

Post by Susan »

That is interesting, FairhavenGuy, hmmm, a clothes-press. It sounds like Moody has a problem with the idea of a clothes-press in the kitchen, but, not in the dining room.

Here is a pic of the closet in question:

Do you think its possible that Allen used the word "clothes-press" as a colloquilism? All closets were clothes-presses to him?

From Bridget's Preliminary Testimony:

Q. Have you given me a description of all the clothing you were in the habit of keeping in that kitchen that goes to the north door, or rather in that entry way?
A. Yes Sir.

Q. Did you have a clothes closet in the kitchen?
A. No Sir.

I wonder if Lizzie would risk hiding a dress in that closet in Bridget's domain as it sounds like she is all over the kitchen. Its not stated where the closet is, but, Bridget mentions going to a closet upon coming up from the cellar to get a brush to wash the windows with. It may be that kitchen closet, sounds like Bridget keeps alot of stuff in there.

Bridget's Preliminary Testimony:

Q. What were you doing in that forty minutes?
A. I always put away the dining room dishes first, then I had a good deal to do to straighten my kitchen, and to put everything in the closet, and straighten my stove.

Also:

Q. Where did you keep the flat irons?
A. In a little closet, back of the stove in the kitchen.

Also:

Q. Now this small ironing board which you say they were in the habit of using was kept where?
A. In the kitchen closet, behind the door.

Also from Bridget's Preliminary Testimony:

Q. Did you have any books there?
A. Yes Sir.

Q. Were not there some old Harpers there, a magazine with pictures in it?
A. Yes Sir.

Q. Where were they kept?
A. In a closet in the kitchen.

From Alice Russell's Trial Testimony:

Mr. Moody. (Showing plan to jury) She says the stove is the place she has indicated by the mark, with the fire part of the stove towards the closet, that the closet door was open; that she was standing between the stove and the closet door, and the point indicated by that cross; That halfway up the shelves in this closet, the door of which was open, was the waist of this dress.

Q. What was that cupboard, as you call it, used for? What was its use?

Mr. Robinson I don't suppose that is of any consequence.

Mr. Moody I want to see if it is a clothes closet or a food closet.

Mr. Robinson It does not make any difference, I submit. It was simply on a shelf there in the closet.

Mason, C.J. She may answer one way or the other.

Mr. Robinson Very well.

Q. What do you say Miss Russell? Was it a food closet or a clothes closet?
A. As near as I remember, there was coal and wood kept in the closet, and on the other shelves I remember seeing flat irons; that is all I remember: there were kitchen utensils.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Here is my pic of the kitchen closet from Stef's and my trip through the house in March.
It was published in the last issue, April, of The Hatchet. This is the larger version.
Thank you for the testimony Susan!

pleaseclickonpic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Robert Harry @ Mon May 17, 2004 1:40 pm wrote:Yes, thanks (as always), Kat. Is there any way to get hold of that artcle that sounds fascinating, "A New York Woman Describes the House" ?
Thank heaven for Bill Pavao!! NOW my question is, if that thingy was a combination of shelves and cupboard, where was the closet? Or did they refer to that whole thing as a "closet"?
Rebello, 110, the rest of the article he published. I don't know if it's the full article:

"A New York Woman Describes the House," Fall River Daily Herald, August 24, 1892: 4.

"Mrs. Percy, correspondent for the New York Herald, telegraphed her description of the interior of the Borden home."

'I went to the Borden house today. I was unable to see any member of the family. I was allowed to examine the rooms where the two murders were committed, the parlor and dining room adjoining on the lower floor, and the bed chambers of the two sisters above, next to which Mrs. Borden was found brutally done to death by an assassin. I was surprised to [find] the house extremely pretty and refined in its appointments. Easy chairs, shaded lamps, books, well-chosen bits of bric-a-brac, cushions, and draperies, an open piano, a hundred comforts and pleasing trifles tastefully disposed bespoke pleasantly the character of the occupants. The "spare room" is the only unattractive apartment in the house, and that is not cheaply furnished, but in the heavy gloomy style of the Brussels carpet, black walnut period long passed.

There is a great square space where the blood-stained carpet under Mrs. Borden's crushed head has been cut away. The paper underneath shows the awful discoloration where it soaked through.

Lizzie Borden's room is as dainty and charming a place as any girl need ask for. The tiny bed had a pale blue embroidered counterpane, the work of the woman who occupied it. Many books and pictures were in the room, some of them evidently gathered in that foreign journey of which we have heard so much. One thing struck me forcibly. How could Lizzie Borden have come in the dainty place and remove the traces of such fearful work without marring all the delicate purity of everything with which she had contact? Why, the washstand even is in a recess veiled by a pale silken curtain. A soiled finger pushing it aside would leave a mark, and there is none. The stairway leading from the front hall is steep and winding at the top, and the wall at one side is covered with a pale gray cartridge paper. This way, up and down, which the assassin passed bears not a trace. Truly the Borden mystery holds its own as such.' "
Robert Harry

Post by Robert Harry »

Kat, that is amazing!! One could almost say the same thing today--the house seems so cozy and comfortable, how could such violence have taken place in it in broad daylight on an ordinary day! Thanks for that. I am still waiting for my Rebello. Likely, that's all she wrote...There may not be a full "article"--more like a descriptive post written here by house visitors. Do you think our input will be valued by future researchers (100 years from now??!!) I wonder how that lady from New York got in to snoop around?
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thank you so much, Kat! I think its so helpful to see the interior of that closet. Now I wonder if all the shelves that were there in the Borden's day are still in there? The reason I wonder is that at 5' 4", Lizzie couldn't have reached very high into that closet, which shelf would she have chosen to use the day of the dress burning?

I have a long cupboard in my kitchen to the right of my stove that is used much like Bridget used that closet. I keep my vacuum, broom and dustpan, mop, iron, ironing board, etc. in there.

To me it sounds like Bridget is in and out of that closet all day, could or would Lizzie risk secreting a dress there early on? Lizzie didn't know that Bridget was going to leave the house and eventually not come back.

Thanks for the article also, even Lizzie's bedspread was blue! :smile:
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Could the dress have been hidden down low?

Men tend to look eye level and up......

ie--

"Audrey! Where is the ketchup?"

"it is in the fridge where it belongs-- in the door"

"NO! We are out of it!"

There it is-- on the 2nd to the bottom rack in the door..... If it had been eye level or above he would have seen it in an instant.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Susan @ Wed May 19, 2004 12:04 pm wrote:
To me it sounds like Bridget is in and out of that closet all day, could or would Lizzie risk secreting a dress there early on? Lizzie didn't know that Bridget was going to leave the house and eventually not come back.

Thanks for the article also, even Lizzie's bedspread was blue! :smile:
Maybe Bridget knew about what happened after it happened and decided to go along with things until she could get out of town? :?:
Then it doesn't matter what she said or didn't say, saw or didn't see- she'd be lying, like Lizzie...? Hmmm?
Kat

Post by Kat »

From that news item in Rebello:
"There is a great square space where the blood-stained carpet under Mrs. Borden's crushed head has been cut away. The paper underneath shows the awful discoloration where it soaked through."

William has provided another treat...the never-before-seen picture of the guest room with the rug cut out:

Please click on the picture for larger view
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Thanks, Susan, for the additional testimonies and Kat for the other photos and the article about the visit. I'm still wondering why Allem would call that closet by the stove a clothes-press, but as Susan suggested he may have used that term for any closet. Could Bridget have been asked specifically "did you have a clothes closet in the kitchen?" because it was known that Allen had thought it was a clothes-press?

Sure Bridget was usually in and out of that closet, but this was not a usual day and who knows what may have been done in panic. Remember Lizzie places herself at that closet a few times times, too, getting the ironing board, a stick of wood for the fire and a Harper's magazine. . .
Robert Harry

Post by Robert Harry »

Wow, Kat, thanks for the photo. Are those blood spatters or just smears on the picture? (10:00 from the wall picture, and, way high up 11:00 from the wall picture). If so, that way high up one is rather large.
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

robert harry:

i've enjoyed your account of your stay because of the kind of details you give. in my opinion, it's already worth an article as opposed to just additions to a thread. you're not finished, are you?

i've mentioned some of these details already, but your whole account comes across as especially vivid.
Robert Harry

Post by Robert Harry »

Thanks, Haulover. I have been thinking of writing more, and maybe I can do something with the Borden House visit. What I try to give is called a "thick description," made famous by a cultural anthropologist whose name right now escapes me. This guy visited the South Sea Islands and made himself famous by describing in minute detail the actions of the people, their exact appearance, etc. etc. I have always been what some call "a receptor"-- I can absorb moods, feelings, attitudes from other people and places--I don't mean this in a "psychic" way, although I firmly believe that we have many such senses that we hardly even know about. The BordenHouse is a rich mine of such senses, impressions, smells--For example, the (quite pleasant) smell of the woodwork (wainscotting on the back stairwell, etc.). These are the kinds of things I like to describe, perhaps to make up for my lack of technological expertise. I always feel a bit guilty in that I'm usually taking advantage of others' research and not producing actual research myself. Maybe I've subconsciously absorbed the "reproach" of a former member who often said, "You can look it up." :wink:
Right now I am in the midst of a change in jobs, so I'm pretty busy lately. I will continue with Borden House impressions, though. THe house is an actor in the drama and, in a stange way, I really like (I was going to say "love" the house). It seems to be enjoying with a wink guarding its own secrets and still opening up to people. As I noted earlier, it's so ironic that the house (which was so divided up and locked, and full of people at odds with each other) is now a place of cameraderie and warm conversations in the parlor, etc.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Clifford Geertz!!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Robert Harry @ Thu May 20, 2004 1:50 pm wrote:The BordenHouse is a rich mine of such senses, impressions, smells--For example, the (quite pleasant) smell of the woodwork (wainscotting on the back stairwell, etc.).
When I was in the house a few years ago, the only thing I could smell was print shop. I've worked for printers on and off since high school and the Leary Press smells just like all the others I've known.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I'm told the print shop is just about empty.

I'm writing a story of my visit to the house in The Hatchet, last issue and the issue coming June 4th.
I've only covered the first floor and covering the second floor next with 10 or 11 photos if anyone wants to get a subscription?
I still have the attic and cellar to do, but the photo count will determine if I can combine those for August and be done.

RobertHarry and I have had similar views and impressions of the second floor and the stairs!
Robert Harry

Post by Robert Harry »

Looking forward to your article, Kat. If I subscribe now, will it include the forthcoming issue?
Kat

Post by Kat »

You can buy just one issue or all issues combined- past, present and future, up to a year- what equals 6 issues, anyway.
Maybe you will write something coming up after you settle in to your new job!
Congratulations, by the way! :grin:
Robert Harry

Post by Robert Harry »

Yes, Audrey, CLIFFORD GEETZ!! Thanks so much. I do like his style of "thick description." A wonderful professor of Social Work at Columbia introduced us to him and (apart from forgetting his name :oops: ) I have not forgotten his method of observation.
Thanks, Kat. I finish here on May 28 and start there on June 1, so no break--but I am determined to start writing in earnest.
Also, to the best of anyone's knowledge, are those blood spatters on the wall in the photo with the carpet removed? (Guest room).
Hey, Audrey, we could have used Clifford Geertz to observe the crime scene and give a "thick description!!!!"
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Yes we could have!

His writings could transport you to the most remote spot on earth.

He and I share an Alma Matta
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

***I have always been what some call "a receptor"-- I can absorb moods, feelings, attitudes from other people and places--I don't mean this in a "psychic" way, although I firmly believe that we have many such senses that we hardly even know about. The BordenHouse is a rich mine of such senses, impressions, smells--For example, the (quite pleasant) smell of the woodwork (wainscotting on the back stairwell, etc.). These are the kinds of things I like to describe, perhaps to make up for my lack of technological expertise. I always feel a bit guilty in that I'm usually taking advantage of others' research and not producing actual research myself. Maybe I've subconsciously absorbed the "reproach" of a former member who often said, "You can look it up." ***

i get this completely. i often think of myself as a "sponge." the smell of the wood, for example -- that's important.

how ironic he told you to "look it up." he never looked up anything. nurse kat looked up everything. if i had a dollar for every time -- you could just about multiply his number of postings by $1 and arrive at the figure.

and where is ray? either he is lost or is a victim of a forum-change conspiracy. (i don't mean that unkindly. come on back, ray, if you can pick up the vibrations.)
Kat

Post by Kat »

RobertHarry: "Also, to the best of anyone's knowledge, are those blood spatters on the wall in the photo with the carpet removed? (Guest room)."

I don't think it's blood- I think it is a flaw in the photograph.
There was a camp chair there straight ahead at the wall, and it's lower legs were spattered. There might be spots there behind that chair- on the wall. The covering on the bed received spots as did the pillow nearest the bureau.
There were spots behind the rocker which isn't there- low and near the window. There were spots on the bureau drawers, and on the bed rail.
Anyone can check Blood Evidence at :

http://www.lizzieandrewborden.com/Crime ... idence.htm

LizzieAndrewBorden.com , Crime Library, Evidence, Blood Evidence.

Is there anymore blood in the room?
I think the highest blood found was the pillowcase at the head of the bed. The rest was low down...maybe knee-high?
Robert Harry

Post by Robert Harry »

Gosh, I was so hoping they were blood spatters! This brings to mind the question, Why didn't they take many close-up photos of the blood evidence for possible use in court. It seems that the few photos we have (unless there are a great many more locked up somewhere) are so standard and almost staged. Maybe photography was looked upon the way television is in courts today. Some courts resist broadcasting trials, and even though TV is not new anymore, it still is "suspect" in some way. My fiancee who is a lawyer constantly bemoans the conservatism of the legal profession--even today, many lawyers still are not computer savvy--maybe the science of photography was still not considered "worthy" of court use. They perhaps preferred the detailed verbal descriptions of the blood evidence which the doctors gave.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Kat @ Thu May 20, 2004 4:25 pm wrote:You can buy just one issue or all issues combined- past, present and future, up to a year- what equals 6 issues, anyway.
The particulars are that each year requires a suscription renewal. The years issues will be available online until January 1st.
Single issues can be purchased as well.
:smile: Now I know! Thanks for asking!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Blood spatter evidence was really in its infancy at the time of the Borden murders. (I think I may have read somewhere that the Borden trial was one of the earliest cases of this type of evidence being introduced in court, but I may be wrong about this.) Most of the forensic sciences that we take for granted today were either nonexistent or distrusted to some degree. We really cannot fault the Fall River Police Department for its handling of the crime scene. They really didn't know any better then.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Robert Harry @ Fri May 21, 2004 10:24 am wrote:Gosh, I was so hoping they were blood spatters! This brings to mind the question, Why didn't they take many close-up photos of the blood evidence for possible use in court. It seems that the few photos we have (unless there are a great many more locked up somewhere) are so standard and almost staged. Maybe photography was looked upon the way television is in courts today. Some courts resist broadcasting trials, and even though TV is not new anymore, it still is "suspect" in some way. My fiancee who is a lawyer constantly bemoans the conservatism of the legal profession--even today, many lawyers still are not computer savvy--maybe the science of photography was still not considered "worthy" of court use. They perhaps preferred the detailed verbal descriptions of the blood evidence which the doctors gave.

:smile:
That's a good point!

They actually took the wallpaper with plaster, they took the wood molding by the dining room door- they cut out and removed parts of the house to test and use as evidence! It's hard to believe.
The best stuff they actually buried, dug up, buried and dug up again- the clothing- the piece of rug? They took the sofa.
The jury was brought to the scene, but of course that was 10 months later.
They had quite a few photographs as exhibits at the trial, tho:

"The following articles which had been offered in evidence during the progress of the trial were selected from among the exhibits in the case by counsel and sent to the jury:

Pages 1927-1928
Plans and photographs marked as exhibits in the case.
Skulls of Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Borden.
Bedspread and pillow shams.
Handkerchief found by Mrs. Borden's body.
Piece of doorframe taken from inside of dining room.
Piece of moulding taken from guest chamber west of dressing case.
Piece of plaster.
Two axes.
Claw-hammer hatchet.
Hatchet with plain head.
Handleless hatchet and bit of wood.
Blue blouse and dress skirt.
White skirt.
Magnifying glass.

Pages 1608+

LIST OF EXHIBITS.

1. Large plan, showing main street and other streets.
2. Plan of Borden premises, and surrounding estates.
3. Plan of Borden premises, including ground floor of house.
4. Plan of Borden premises, including second story.
5. Plan of sitting room.
6. Blue print of Exhibit 3.
7. Blue print of Exhibit 4.
8. Blue print of Borden premises and surrounding estates.
9. Plan of cellar.
10 - 14. Photographs of Borden house.
15 - 19. Photographs of bodies.
20 - 21. Carpets.
22. Tag attached to jar containing Mr. Borden's stomach.
23. Tag attached to jar containing Mrs. Borden's stomach.
24 - 43. Small photographs of Borden premises.
44. Pin produced by Mr. Adams for comparison, in connection with testimony of Professor Wood.
(All item numbers inclusive.)"

http://www.lizzieandrewborden.com/Crime ... ceList.htm
Susan

Post by Susan »

Wow! So in total there should be about 23 photos of the Borden house? The large crime scene pics as well as small ones taken about the house? What ever happened to the small photos? :roll:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

OK.. I am learning how to post pics...I hope this works. See, I really did go ! I am going to post pics of what I think is the Brownell house and there is one other that I can't remember which house it is....I am sure one of you out there will be able to refresh my memory.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Good photo Tracy! You look like you're praying to St. Lizbeth.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I am having trouble getting some of the other pictures to post...grrrrr...I hope I figure it out soon !

Tracy...
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I only had 3 pics inside the courtroom when the camera battery died. I guess Lizzie thought that was all I needed..LOL

Tracy...
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Grrrr...that last post was supposed to have a picture with it...I hate being on the low end of the learning curve.

Tracy...
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Does this mean the picture I want to post is "too big" ?

Sorry, you have reached your maximum Upload Quota Limit of 2 MB

Tracy...
Kat

Post by Kat »

Tracy that was an adorable picture!!!

When I clicked on the pic it took 3 screens to open.
So yes, at 1.3 MB- that's a big pic.
I can re-size them for you- but I have a MAC. Our colors might not be compatible.
You are allowed 2MB for your whole time here! :grin:
You have about .7 MB left! :-)
Kat

Post by Kat »

Here you are at 100k

theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

So, what you are saying is that we can post 2MB total in pics and then we are locked out from posting anymore pictures...FOREVER ? Do I need to unregister then reregister for the forum, or unregister and then come up with a new name ? I just want to share my pictures. I guess I should have done what Audrey said and used that special program she mentioned. Waaaaaaaa..................

Tracy...
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

LOL

I keep telling people to listen to me!

No one ever does!
Kat

Post by Kat »

theebmonique @ Sat May 22, 2004 11:18 am wrote:So, what you are saying is that we can post 2MB total in pics and then we are locked out from posting anymore pictures...FOREVER ? Do I need to unregister then reregister for the forum, or unregister and then come up with a new name ? I just want to share my pictures. I guess I should have done what Audrey said and used that special program she mentioned. Waaaaaaaa..................

Tracy...
No dear! You remove the big picture and start back at zero, since I put your pic up for you. (was it OK from a Mac?)
Then resize your pictures in future to be about 100k. That will allow for 200 pictures I think?
Harry figured to keep his quota he would remove pictures after a month or so, like Arborwood did automatically.
That will work!
Or you can use that service Harry uses- it that one you found Audrey? Anyway, he likes it!
:cool: < that's Harry!
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

OK...thanks Kat...and Audrey. Kat...ignore the panicked PM I just sent you. I am hating having to learn new things sometimes...LOL.
Kat

Post by Kat »

:grin: I love your signature!

I don't know what you decided to do- so does anybody else need help?
We might be able to figure something out amongst us.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

that service is called photobucket and can be found at http://photobucket.com/

Once you sign up (for free) you can upload all sorts of images and then it provides you with the image tags which you copy/paste to the forum.

That is how I have my scrolling signature. I had Alax make me a banner of the text I wanted, saved it as a gif, uploaded it and then pasted the image tag into my siganture area in my profile.

If anyone else wants a banner for a sig. let me know and Al will do it.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

OK, between Kat's suggestions, and some MAJOR tutoring from Audrey, I think I can post some pics now. This one is the Brownell house in Fairhaven.

Tracy...

theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

YIPEEE !!...it worked ! OK, now THIS house is the one I am not sure "who" it belonged to. For some reason I want to say Knowlton, but I could be way off. Anybody recognize it ???

Tracy...
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

This is Riverby...where Emma's wake was held.

Tracy...
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

This is my niece (Jordan) and I with Mr. Rebello.

Tracy...
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Me "in court". I tried to get more pics inside the courtroom, but the camera battery died. I KNOW I had it fully charged, so maybe Lizzie thought just a few pictures was enough. The people at the curthouse spoke very respectfully of Lizzie...as if she was their own beloved sister !

Tracy...
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Another Swansea picture...

Tracy...
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Me at the family plot. It was a BEAUTIFUL day !

Tracy...
Harry

Post by Harry »

Terrific photos Tracy! I loved the one of you sitting in the courtroom.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Thanks Tracy for posting the Brownell House. (Please note: NOT ALL OF FAIRHAVEN LOOKS LIKE THIS!)

You came all the way from Utah and took a photo that I've been meaning to take for three months. And it's only three blocks from my office. . .
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Thanks Harry ! And FairhavenGuy, I am so sorry we couldn't meet up. I only missed by 3 blocks...wow ! Do You have any idea who lived in that "other" house I posted ? I may have to call Mr. Rebello...I really should have taken notes while on his tour.

Tracy...