Discover or post articles and transcripts about Lizzie Borden.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

Post by Kat »

This is from the Fall River Historical Society website- remember this? It is by Mr. Wells, written around the turn of the century.

http://lizzieborden.org/Publications.html

It is his recollection of that day, August 4, 1892.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
patsy

Post by patsy »

Because Lizzie, Miss Russell and Miss Johnston were childhood friends it seems so sad that they never resumed their relationship with her, and especially if it was just based on the burning of the dress that changed their feelings. I guess we will never know how much more might have been involved that day that Miss Russell saw the dress being burned. Wasn't it Miss Russell who said something to the effect that she will never speak about something she saw that day? I have to refresh.

Wow, Mr. Wells was left standing at the foot of the stairs, and could see the body and go right into the crime scene. So different now.
Kat

Re: 1900

Post by Kat »

Witness Statements pgs 45-6
This by:
EDWIN D. McHENRY.

Fall River, 28, 1892. The following is the result of my interview last Saturday night with Mrs. Whitehead. I could not reach her mother Mrs. Oliver Gray, (the stepmother of the late Mrs. Abbie Borden) until today. I found her at the home of Mr. Benj. Covell, at the top of Second street. I questioned her at length as to whether there was anything new that had come to her mind since she was last seen. She stated that Officer Harrington had been to see her, but since that time she had heard a great deal. She also stated that Mr. and Mrs. Case had gone to Tiverton R. I. or Little Compton, to remain away until after this Borden case had been disposed of; and that Mrs. Case was the woman above all others that was needed to let light in on Lizzie’s actions. Mrs. Gray had heard of the scandal story as coming from Mrs. Case direct. She also stated that for years, whenever she, or any of Mrs. Borden’s relatives, visited the house on Second street, they were totally ignored by the girls, Lizzie and Emma. I then read your anonymous letter to her. She said that was true, every word of it, although she could not imagine who the writer was; and that her sister, Mrs. Bordens, Mrs. Fish in Hartford, was the one, and her daughter in law, that was referred to. I then pressed the old lady very hard as to what was said as coming from Mrs. Churchill. She demurred, and finally admitted she got her information from Mrs. Potter and her sister Miss Dimon, the milliners on Fourth street. I then looked up the above mentioned ladies and found them very hard people to handle. I was with them both two hours, and elicited the following; Lizzie Borden has been practicing in a gymnasium for a long time, and she has boasted of the strength she possessed, not to these people, but to others. The place where she practiced was supposed top be in the Troy Block. I also elicited the fact that one George Wiley, a clerk in the Troy Mill is the one who is authority for the statement that Mrs. Churchill made that she (Mrs. Churchill) said, that there was one thing she saw in the house the day of the murder, that she would never repeat, even if they tore her tongue out.

---Remember that McHenry was involved with the scandal about the fake Trickey story in the papers October 11th & 12th 1892. The statement attributed to Mrs. Churchill is *4th hand*=

Churchill to
George Wiley to
Potter to
McHenry the newspaper writer

I would hope I would not ever be quoted thusly! Wow! Can you imagine?
patsy

Re: 1900

Post by patsy »

Thanks, Kat. That clears up the statement I referred to, and I do remember now that it was supposed to have been said by Mrs Churchill.