My new novel The Murderer's Maid focuses on Bridget

Discover or post articles and transcripts about Lizzie Borden.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

mbhenty

Re: My new novel The Murderer's Maid focuses on Bridget

Post by mbhenty »

Here's a couple of boats named, the Lizzie B.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MysteryReader

Post by MysteryReader »

[quote="mbhenty"]

Further, I am always surprise how much little play new "Lizzie books" get here on the forum in the way of feed back, which tells me that apart from reading LizzieAndrewBorden.com almost no one reads books any longer.

I do love to read! But having the money to buy all of the interesting books is the problem. :lol: :roll:
ErikaMailman

Post by ErikaMailman »

Oh my goodness! I missed so much. I thought I was set up to get "pings" when responses were posted but clearly that wasn't the case. I apologize for being gone so long (came back here to research how many people tromped through the active crime scene of the house, in support of a blog post)! Thanks for all the kind posts and NO WORRIES whatsoever about "hijacking" the thread...I adore going off on tangents myself, and that is a fun way to discuss things.

Your schooner is absolutely gorgeous, and thank you for looking at my blog posts and website. The history on the Freda B. was more like narration out on the water of things we could see on the shore(s): the Golden Gate Bridge, the Officers Club, the Jeremiah B., Alcatraz, buildings in Sausalito, on and on. It was a wonderful ride and I heartily recommend it.

As for why Bridget's not on the cover of The Murderer's Maid: she was on some mock-ups from the designer, but they weren't compelling. The few photos of her aren't high resolution or frankly...interesting. To the contrary, Lizzie's wide and possibly manic gaze is entirely gripping. Covers exist to draw people to the book, so that's why Lizzie gets the spotlight on the jacket.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes:

It is understood. Trying to find a suitable picture of Bridget, the maid, just was not an option. There is only one known formal shot of her, and not a very good one at that. Even if it were, there is nothing exciting, alluring, or interesting about Bridget's face. Very plain jane.

None-the-less, I believe that the maid was the latchkey to the case. Even if she did not witness everything, she probably knew exactly what happened.... could have even played a part. Involuntarily, you understand. Got suckered or swept into the scheme of things. Or not. Who knows? But when the questioning began she clam'd-up. Like Sgt. Schultz. "I know nothing."

But, the cover of your book was a good choice. :smile:
ErikaMailman

Post by ErikaMailman »

Thank you! I'm very happy with the cover too. I lucked out.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

To ring my own bell. :roll: :oops:

My latest book has a cover painted by John Stobart, a famous nautical artist. It's of Westport Point, Westport Massachusetts. The ship is the Brigantine Kate Cory.... a Westport whaler. The scene is the early 1860s. The house on the left, with the sheer chimney, and the Inn on the right still exist today, as does most of the houses seen on the book cover. The Kate Cory was sunk off the coast of Brazil by the Confederate warship, Alabama. As with the The Girl with the Pansy Pin, history and real characters and events play an essential part in the story.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

John Stobart did several paintings in and around San Francisco. All are period seascapes with ships. He is both prolific and proficient. Wonderful and beautiful portrayals. The ones below were all of San Francisco, with like titles. (Before there was a Golden Gate Bridge)
ErikaMailman

Post by ErikaMailman »

What a gorgeous cover! I'd never heard of the Kate Cory; sounds like a marvellous tale to spin! And thanks for introducing me to this painter...I love the nighttime SF one especially.