Lizzie's Love of Books

Discover or post articles and transcripts about Lizzie Borden.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

mbhenty

Lizzie's Love of Books

Post by mbhenty »

Below is Lizzie's personal copy of Nancy Stair by Elinor Lane. Lizzie was accustomed to making notations in her books by way of check marks, brackets, wiggly lines, etc. These were passages which interested or excited her. Below is such a passage penciled in by Lizzie. Proof of Lizzie's fondness for poetry and poetic prose.

As close as we can get from hearing Lizzie express her heart's desires :!:

Just thought I would share :!:

:study:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twinsrwe

Re: Lizzie's Love of Books

Post by twinsrwe »

Very interesting, MB. Thank you for sharing! :grin:
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Twins, Interesting...

Here's another. This one taken from a novel called BUD by Neil Monro. Monro was a Scottish journalist and author.

Here Lizzie simply made a slash on the edge of the page with a pencil. I can only imagine that she found humor in the line adjacent to the pencil marking.

A good example of Lizzie's sense of amusement.

Great stuff.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes:

Here's another.

Is Lizzie telling us that she "likes people'? "

It appears that here Lizzie sees herself in a positive way. A 'liker' :!:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Still here is another. Not certain why Lizzie found interest here. But my guess is she is making a point about the wrong people being married to each other. Could she have been thinking of her father and stepmother when she checked this passage off?

Interesting, no less.

(In many of Lizzie's books one can find pencil markings by Lizzie. Most of these are at the beginning of the book, which may hint to the fact that Lizzie started reading these books and never finished them)