Finances & New House

Discover or post articles and transcripts about Lizzie Borden.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

Finances & New House

Post by Kat »

Legal work after the crimes between Lizzie and Emma and Abbie's "heirs."
Plzcliconpic (should show right side up)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kat on Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kat

Wrapping Up The Finances

Post by Kat »

Emma is released from her Administratrix duties, with Lizzie agreeing.
Plzcliconpic should show right side up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Finances & New House

Post by Kat »

French St purchase
Thanks to Len Rebello and Ed Thibault
mbhenty

Re: Finances & New House

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

One thing that's for sure, Charles Allen, the builder of Maplecroft, saw the Borden girls coming. Lizzie and Emma paid premium for Maplecroft. If my memory and research service me well, about forty percent more than she should have. Especially since it was on the market for some time. Proof that Lizzie paid too much was proven when Allen built a much bigger granite home for like twenty-five percent less than what he sold Maplecroft for. I suppose number Seven French Street hit the sweet spot for the girls. And Lizzie must have loved the place. She spent her last days there.

Now I would need to do some homework to get the numbers right since my memory fails me. But I think Lizzie and Emma paid around 13 thousand for Maplecroft. Allen took the money and built a new bigger and better home on Highland Avenue for around 10 thousand.

Begs to question whether the Borden girls were having trouble buying or whether many refused to sell to them. After all, they looked at much bigger and better houses.

Makes me think that Allen wasn't a nice guy.

Below is Charles Allen's second home on Highland Avenue, as it looks today.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Now, by 1916, there-or-about, we find that Charles Allen is now living in a new house. At 59 Greenlawn Street, as seen in the first photo below. Another very large house. Then by 1920 he is living in a house at 259 Dexter, practically across the street from his old place on Highland Ave. A smaller more modest house when compared to his last three homes. He either liked to move or continued on making big profits selling his homesteads. Dexter Street house is the second photo below.

In some respects you can measure someone's wealth by how big and how many chimneys in his/her house. Look at the chimneys in the Allen granite house, then the ones on his Dexter Street home. Perhaps he was not making more money but less :lol: :oops:

. :study:

Kat

Finances & New House

Post by Kat »

I’ve been wondering for a long time whether Emma, as eldest survivor of her father, Andrew, was really sole heir to his estate? And did she just decide to split the inheritance with Lizzie for …what reason? :scratch:
Kat

Finances & New House

Post by Kat »

Dupe
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Somewhere that is discussed on the forum and I believe the conclusion is that U.S. estate law does not adhere to the eldest approach like is done in England. All children are equal.

That said, the family may have left the majority to a single eldest male due to the patriarchy bias in the U.S. and to keep the wealth consolidated to ensure a continuation of the families influence.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for yr response. Since Massachusetts is a Commonwealth, do you think that still is the answer if we take that into consideration?

edit here- I’ve checked google asking the question and apparently all children inherit equally. Thanks again camgarsky.