AOL users please read new Admin announcement [RESOLVED]

Messages for you to read and process.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Adminlizzieborden
Site Admin

AOL users please read new Admin announcement [RESOLVED]

Post by Adminlizzieborden »

An important announcement for AOL users which affects their usage of the forum is here:

viewtopic.php?t=1634

Thank you!

Stefani Koorey
Administrator
Lizzie Borden Society Forum
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Thanks for the notice. My AOL should be set to not kick back any Forum related email.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

I'm not quite sure how to fix this. My security setting is supposed to allow ALL mail to be delivered to me, but I got a PM this morning from a member saying that an email was returned as undeliverable.
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

That happens to me once in a while too, Chris. But as far as I know when that particular thing happens, nothing is reported as "spam". I check my "spam" folder several times a day just to make sure no "good" mail gets inadvertantly reclassified. Maybe there is a limit on long long things sit in the spam folder before they are sent back as spam ? Maybe we AOLers will need to be extra vigilant about checking, in order to reduce email problems for forum related emails. I will see what I can find out when I get home from work tonight.

Tracy...
Adminlizzieborden
Site Admin

It is very strange. I have investigated this with other forum owners and they also are reporting the same issues with AOL members. This only happens to those of you with AOL and one other service provider, but that provider is only used by one member.

The "error" message says 421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE.

I will also check with my server people to try to fix this from this end.

Here is the explanation on the AOL page:

421 DNS:NR
http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/421dnsnr.html
EXPLANATION:

Reverse DNS lookup for your IP address is failing. AOL does require that all connecting Mail Transfer Agents have established reverse DNS.

SOLUTION:

Reverse DNS is a way of associating an IP address with its domain name. The reverse DNS identifier is contained in the PTR portion of the IP Zone File. You may look at your reverse DNS using our reverse DNS search tool.

If you are on a dynamic IP address, please call your ISP and request a static IP address with proper rDNS before attempting to send mail to AOL through that server.

If you are on a static IP address, please call your ISP or DNS provider and ask them to establish a reverse DNS record for your IP address, reflecting your correct domain name.

For additional information on reverse DNS, please visit http://postmaster.info.aol.com/info/rdns.html .
Adminlizzieborden
Site Admin

This isn't necessarily going to fix things, but would all of you with AOL accounts please do the following?

Please visit AOL's Spam blocker to modify your settings if you want to continue to receive email list messages.

Go to your spam blocker and add forum@lizzieandrewborden.com email addresses into your "safe" list. Follow instructions below:

1. In the url web address line in your AOL program <not search> type the keyword "SPAM" and hit return.

This will bring you to a window that allows you to choose "SPAM and Mail Controls" select "Go There Now"

2. Select "Use a Customer Sender List". If you use a blocked senders list, please make sure the addresses above are not in your list. If you use an "allowed" list, add the addresses above.

3. Make sure you have NOT selected, Use AOL SmartBlock.

4. If you use AOL's Advanced SPAM Filter, make sure the filtered mail goes into a SPAM filter instead of automatically deleting. Check your SPAM folder periodically to see that email from here is not landing there.

Thank you!
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Following your instructions at this very moment. Thanks for all of your help !

Tracy...