Map of Lizzie Landmarks

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Doug

Map of Lizzie Landmarks

Post by Doug »

Has anyone who has visited Fall River, or lives there or nearby, ever seen or used a map of what I will call Lizzie Landmarks? That is, a present-day map showing streets, buildings, landmarks, sites, and the like that would be of interest to Borden buffs or others wanting to learn about the case. I have not seen or heard of a map like this. Has anyone else?
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

There are a few different Lizzie themed brochures, produced by the Fall River Historical Society, the B&B, and the City of Fall River. At least one of them has a modern map, but I'm not at my office (the Fairhaven Visitors Center) where I have a couple of them on display, so I don't remember which is which.

One general Lizzie brochure, which I think was produced by the city, has as its landmarks the B&B on Second St., Oak Grove Cemetery, the Fall River Historical Society, the Abbey Grille--which originally was Lizzie's church, and, perhaps, Maplecroft. This one might have a map.

I'll send copies to anyone who emails me an address.

Since I've been part of this forum, I've been thinking that a brochure that includes Fairhaven, New Bedford, Marion and Swansea sites might be nice to have. It might draw some of the Lizzie fans out of Fall River for a while.
Harry

Post by Harry »

This may be the one you mean Chris. It's a brochure map put out by the Fall River Tourism Office in 2000. It shows everything but Maplecroft. That would be at the top near where French St. meets Highland. Some of the streets appear to have one-way arrows.

FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

That looks very similar to what I'm thinking of, Harry. I'll check what I've got at the office when I get back in there tomorrow.
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

I like the Lizzie Borden Trail Map--sort of like a morbid version of Boston's Freedom Trail! I wonder if we could construct a map of Andrew's morning walk?

--Lyddie
Kat

Post by Kat »

I was wondering where you were, Lydia. It's nice to have you back! :grin:
There is at least a diagram of Andrew's *last walk* posted already- from Leonard Rebello's book:
viewtopic.php?t=114&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

There are so many sights not covered on any map tho that one you posted, Harry, was so cool! Thanks!
I asked Mr. Rebello if he would make a map and he is thinking about it. He had planned to eventually- he had thought of it.
We're talking sights he took Stef and myself to, and ones we missed that Tracy saw.

He showed us:
Maplecroft
Court House and Registry of Deeds
Swansea farmhouse
Eddy house
Luther 4 Corners
Holmes house
Ferry Street spot where the Borden homestead once stood
Fourth Street house
Weybosset St.
Porter's house
Blaisdell's house
The post office
The old jail
What's left of Sargent's
Smith's Drug Store
Cook Borden house
First Congregational Church
Central Cong. Church
Library
Borden Block
A.J.Borden Bldg.
Pillars of the old City Hall
What was the Mission School
The park where Sarah Cornell's body was found, probably murdered.
Doug

Post by Doug »

You all have the idea; a street map like the one Harry posted or the Freedom Trail map but with more sites like Kat's list and Chris' suggestions and with short explanations of various sites. A brochure, perhaps, that incorporates a map. Another site to include would be Bertha Manchester's place. Some of it could be a walking tour but, of course, some would include driving to sites out of town like Swansea, New Bedford, and the others.
Robert Harry

Post by Robert Harry »

I add my voice to the chorus calling for such a "tour map." The one they give you at the B&B just has directions to the two churches, the cemetery, Maplecroft, and the FR Historical society. It would be great for those of us who have a more than surface interest in the "affair" to have a more detailed map.