Emma comes back from Fairhaven

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

Emma comes back from Fairhaven

Post by Harry »

This is a portion of a topographic map, created in 1885, showing the New Bedford / Fairhaven area. I noticed that the railroad (top left coming down) appears to terminate in New Bedford and did not cross over into Fairhaven.

In Rebello, page 82, he has the following on Emma's return:

"Emma left Fairhaven by carriage or from the Fairhaven Railroad Station. She arrived at the Pearl Street Railway Station in New Bedford then took the 3:40 p.m. train to Weir Junction and proceeded on to the Bowenville Station in Fall River."

So unless the railroad was extended between 1885 and 1892 to Fairhaven, Emma would have had to go to New Bedford for the train.

FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Because the Fairhaven Branch Railoroad ran (from 1854 until 1953) from Wareham, through Marion and Mattapoisett, to Fairhaven and ended at the ferry slip on the waterfront, Emma would not have gone to the train station in Fairhaven to get home. There were two stables from which she may have hired a carriage or perhaps the Delanos had one at 19 Green Street. There was also a trolley (horse drawn in Fairhaven until 1895) which ran from the train station along Main Street to the Fairhaven-New Bedford Bridge.

I'm reposting a larger version of my 1895 Fairhaven Map. The property where Emma stayed in 1892 is highlighted.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Thanks Chris. The only reason I raised the subject was that Rebello used the words "or from the Fairhaven railroad station." and I was wondering where that was and if it was possible to return all the way by rail.

You've answered the question.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks you guys. I love maps.
Are you guys saying that Emma took a carriage and crossed a bridge to get to the train in New Bedford?

And is Bowenville in Fall River?
Harry

Post by Harry »

Yes, Bowenville was the FR station that you see in all the postcards. Sad to say like most things in FR it's gone with the wind.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

I'm guessing that Emma was somehow transported across the bridge to the Pearl Street station in New Bedford. What puzzles me, among other things, is why she went all the way through to Weir Junction in Taunton and then back to Fall River. Maybe that's the only way she knew, but there is a closer junction at Myricks in East Freetown, and I thought that by this time there was a direct line from New Bedford to Fall River.

As I wrote in the Morse Alibi thread, her timing is off. It took Morse about one hour to get from New Bedford to Fall River by train on Wednesday. If Emma got the news by telegram sometime around noon or shortly after, it should not have been sometime after 5:00 when she got back. One could almost walk to Fall River in less time.
Harry

Post by Harry »

It is very odd Chris. The 1891 map shows a a "New Bedford Railroad" coming from the direction of New Bedford and terminating at Eight Rod Way in FR. This terminal is just west of Weybosset St and probably about a mile from 92 Second St. The only thing I can think of is there was not a scheduled train via this route earlier than the one she took.

Dr. Bowen said he went to his house to check the train schedule to tell Emma before sending his telegram so I assume he checked alternate routes. But you know what they say about assuming.
Harry

Post by Harry »

FairhavenGuy @ Tue May 18, 2004 8:57 am wrote:I'm guessing that Emma was somehow transported across the bridge to the Pearl Street station in New Bedford..
Here's a postcard of the Pearl Street station in New Bedford where Emma probably caught the train back to FR.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for the picture Har! I hadn't seen that one.
Those post cards hold up pretty well when the image size is increased. I don't know why that is.