diana's visit

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

FairhavenGuy

diana's visit

Post by FairhavenGuy »

My first Forum Member visit!

Diana and her husband are, at this moment, wandering around Fairhaven to find the Brownell house. I helped them with directions to the court house and jail in New Bedford and they're bound for Taunton, as well.

I'm sure she'll let us know about her visit when she gets home.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh Goody! Thanks! :smile:
diana

Post by diana »

FairhavenGuy’s directions were great! Thanks to him, we had no trouble locating the Brownell House the Courthouse, Knowlton’s house, and the Ash Street Jail. It was really interesting to walk the route Knowlton may have taken as he went to argue his case at trial and then walk down the street where Lizzie was probably driven to and from the Courthouse and the jail.

Then we followed Kat’s good directional post from the forum and found the Swansea place.

I was very lucky to see some Lizzie haunts last weekend. It was all connected to a visit to New York -- and I wasn’t sure until we actually were in New England whether Fall River would work into our trip. This is my second time back to the area. The last time was 1997 – so it’s been a while. Had my second wonderful tour of the FRHS—and the bonus of a chat with Michael Martins this time.

I cherished the opportunity to be in 92 Second Street again. Of course, after I’d been through the house, I thought of all the things I didn’t look at! For example, I wished I’d looked more closely at all the windows Bridget washed, and that I’d paid more attention to the area in the kitchen where Lizzie claimed to have spent part of her morning. The list goes on….

The lounge in the dining room where Lizzie sat while Mrs. Churchill and Alice tended her -- and where Andrew rested when he came home and waited for Bridget to finish up in the sitting room -- is not there. But it’s hard to think that it would fit anyway. It’s a pretty small room for all that went on in there.

Lizzie’s room felt cold and sterile. It certainly didn’t have the same emanations for me as the guest room or the dining room. And, as was the case on my last visit there, my strongest “Lizzie connection” was in the screen door entranceway. I really felt very comfortable in the sitting room – and kept gravitating back there. One thing that did stand out for me this time was how little distance there is betweeen the front door and the sitting room couch. For some reason I’d remembered the front entryway as longer than it is.

And the guest room did seem a little dark. The shutters were only slightly closed. I saw exactly what Bowen meant when he said at trial: “It was a little dark in the room, somewhat dark, not very light”. The guide at the FRHS said it was common for households of that period to keep the shutters drawn to keep the sunlight out because fabrics didn’t have the colorfast quality they do today – and furniture and carpets faded fast. There’s a reference to that in Robinson’s closing argument too, I think.

Didn’t visit the cemetery or Maplecroft this time. My husband is bemused by my interest in all this and although he gallantly accompanies me on these jaunts – we have to draw the line somewhere. I’d seen the graves before – and remember being disappointed in the condition of Maplecroft in 1997 – so can’t think that it would cheer me to see it now, judging from from what other forum members have reported.

But it was so wonderful to be back in the Second Street house again.

And fun to see a forum member other than two-dimensionally!
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Diana... What a wonderful trip you had and what a great post!

I never did think of the space between the front door and the sofa in the sitting room. I have noticed how close the house is to the street-- and your post made me think of just how close the murders were to where people were-- going about their business, blissfully unaware of the carnage near to them!

I wonder why you feel so much "Lizzie energy" in that doorway? If you think about it this way it is odd....

In my opinion if she DIDN"T do it-- that door way would be the place she would be feeling the most emotion.
diana

Post by diana »

I really was surprised to see how close the couch was to the front door. And I agree with you, Audrey. I think Lizzie was feeling very strong emotion when she stood by the screen door. Especially so, if she didn't do it -- but then I suppose others might argue her emotions would be 'up' if she did do it, too... another two-sided coin, I guess.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Maybe is has something to do with the types of emotions you feel most-- or the types of emotions you can relate to.

You may not be capable of blind rage-- but even if she was guilty-- don't you think she was scared to death when standing in that doorway?
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's weird about that screen door area. I made sure to ask if that screen door was original and the answer was no.
I stood there when I first entered the house and without looking into the house I turned and looked out thru that screen door!
I actually paused there. I had a whole house to look at before the medium came and time to leave, yet I stood there. Odd. Maybe it is similar to you, Diana?
I didn't really think about it.
Also it's odd there because one is standing so high up. You're already 6 feet or so off the ground at the side door.
Another thing remarkable is that I could hear someone ascending those steps. I definetly knew when someone was coming in from outside.
If Lizzie was in the kitchen when Andrew came home, she probably would have heard his approach if he tried to enter by the side screen door.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Have you ever stayed overnite in the house, Diana?

I'd love to go back again & spend a lot more time nosing around in there!
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
diana

Post by diana »

No, I haven't stayed over at the house. I was thinking last week which room I'd like to stay in -- and the only one that looked inviting to me was Bridget's little attic room. I don't think I'd close my eyes in any of the others. But I guess that's not the point, is it?
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Yes, I doubt I'd ever actually get to sleep there; I'd be up all night thinking & imagining.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Robert Harry

Post by Robert Harry »

Diana and Tina Kate, my fiancee and I stayed twice at the house--once in Bridget's room and once in the Morse guestroom. Diana, you made a good choice--Bridget's room is comfy and cozy with the bathroom right next to it. I would definitely choose to stay there again. In neither room did we get "the creeps," but the guest room is noisy with motorcycles and buses at night. My fiancee did have a "poltergeist-like" experience in the Morse room--she swears her wallet "jumped" by itself off of the bed onto the floor (I was not in the room at the time), but still (though we realized what happened in that room) we weren't creeped out. In both rooms, I woke up occasionally at night and, when I realized where I was, I just couldn't believe it!!
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Diana,

I have stayed in Lizzie's room, and in the guest room. I slept quite nicely both times. I tried to stay awake when I stayed in Lizzie's room, hoping I would see "something"...but I fell asleep anyway. I agree with Robert Harry, it is a bit noisy in the guest room. My next stay will be in the Knowlton-Jennings room. "They" say it is the most 'active'.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
diana

Post by diana »

Tracy -- when you say "active" -- what have you heard about the Jennings/Knowlton rooms?

Another question for you and Robert Harry (and anyone else who's stayed the night) -- is the breakfast served at the B&B as tasty as their website suggests?

I definitely relate to the idea of waking at night and having trouble believing you were there. I had trouble believing I was there when I was wide awake in the daytime!
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Diana,

When I say "active", I mean as in ghostly activity...at least according to Eleanor...the tour guide. She said that many people have claimed to hear the children, whose mother drowned them in the well, playing marbles and laughing. I was hoping to hear something while I was there, but I wasn't fortunate enough.

The breakfasts are VERY good. I want to get the recipie for the johnnycakes they serve. I loved them.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Maybe a tape recorder could capture what the human ear may be too distracted to hear. This works for some people.
I think it's creepy, personally. :smile: