Fall River streets as they appear today

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

Post by Kat »

That'a a great pic! The place looks good.

I re-sized your photo myself so I could see it better- it was bigger than my screen.
I'll attach it here- I might as well share it.

Thanks!

[Edit: :shock: OMAGOSH --my 6000th post!]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Kat

Post by Kat »

I can't tell if there was an *extension.*
Here is the oldest pic I think we have of the duplex Andrew owned with Almy. Harry might know an approximate date for the picture?
It looks mostly the same to me.
2 windows, a door, 2 windows, a door, 2 windows.
Maybe there was an extension out back?

PS: The pic was described as showing the rear of the duplex when it was "saved" yet it is the front, I believe.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Kat

Post by Kat »

That is fascinating! You ought to write for the local newspaper!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:,,
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's pretty cool MB, thanks for the info and description!
:cool:
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

I love these old bungalows. I wonder if it was a Sears.

Strange thing to offer on Ebay...then again...lots of stranger things on Ebay, I suppose.

If I came across it, I would have just offered it to the current owners.

Strange how the grade has changed so drastically (the house & street used to be level). Seems the road must have been dug out for some reason.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

I have always been fascinated by old homes, especially those built with timbers and posts.

To the many who have visited Maplecroft and French Street it may be that you stroll the neighborhood and came across the little white Gambrel home below.

On the front is a sign which proclaims its age as "the oldest house in fall river".

But tis not true.

This little home known as the Church-Troy House was built in c1750.

The Lafayette Durfee House is considered older, being built in and around 1747. As far as historical homes are concern, the Lafayette House is a bit of a success due to the fact that it was moved twice, the first time to build the granite court house on North Main Street, in its long life instead of being torn down. Today it is considered a treasure.

But, the oldest house in Fall River is a little known or renowned 3/4 two story colonial in the north end of the city. The last photo of the little home with the red windows is the Borden-Winslow Home. This is the probably the oldest house in fall river having been built in 1740. When Maplecroft was built this little homestead was almost 150 years old.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh those are cool! Thanks for the pics! :smile:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, thanks Kat and you're welcome.

Most of fall river's 18 century colonial architecture has been wiped out. I can safely say 99.9 of it. There exists but a handful and mostly in the North End of the city. Much of the destruction was due to the mill industry. As new mills were built and housing needed, these wonderful little colonial dwellings were forced aside and demolished.

Founded as a city in 1803 fall river's major Architectural Treasures were built well into the mid 19 century. Where as a city like Newport, R.I. could be somewhat designated Colonial, fall river is recognized for its Victorian construction. (Newport even contains homes from the 17th century. You were in one of them on one of your visits to Newport if you remember.)

The Blue Cape Cod home below is my all time favorite fall river Colonial. Known as the Luther Winslow Home it was built in 1795 and stands in the extreme North end of the city.

The photo below of the two story colonial behind the trees is a classic colonial with very little change. Wonderful, wonderful, example of a 2 story colonial built by its successful owner in 1769. I am shamed to say I know almost nothing about this house. It is known as the Valentine-French House.

Two story colonials were built in sections in many cases. You have a half two story, a 3/4 two story, (such as the Borden-Winslow home in the post above) and the full and more popular full 2 story colonial such as this one. The more affluent you became the bigger the house became.

To build a full 2 story colonial such as the one below meant you were doing well. Not only is it a true 2 story colonial, but it's a good sized one. Displayed as it is, it does not look much different than the day it was built. Sorry but it's not a good photo. Grand Place though. Grand indeed. Love them.

The last photo below is of a hideous 3 decker, but non-the-less one of the oldest homes in the city.

Built in 1765 it is known as the Westgate House to historical buffs. Except for its age, its significance today as an architectural example of the period is nonexistent. As you can see it just one huge ugly plastic box. What it looked like when built in 1765 can only be guessed at.

In 1882 it was made much bigger and an addition was added, possibly the portion you see jetting out in the back. This was a simple honest colonial at one time and made ornate by the Victorians. Sort of like putting a wedding dress on a draft horse. Bring it into the 21 century and let today"s modern masterminds and tinkers at it and this is what you get.

If you look to the left front portion of the building you can see where at one time there were porches, placed there by the Victorians, along with the alcoves which jet out from the front of the building.

This house sits on Pine Street just one block up from the Holms home. (Where Lizzie went after her release.)

The last photo resembles what the Westgate home probably looked like when it was built. This house stands one block down from the Holms place on Pine. It was built in 1845 and is known as the Hathaway Carpentry Shop. I don't know much about it, but when built it probably had a business on the first level and living quarters above.

Sadly most of these grand old places have been wiped out. Now the city is wiping out its 19 century architecture. Reason why fall river will never be a Newport or even a Salem but instead the location of a bloody murder.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

This is the White Horse Tavern in Newport. It's the only shots I have in my photo-library. But, you can still pick up on some of the classic details including cedar clapboard, massive trim window frames, the 12 over 8 divided light windows sash, Greek Revival front door casing and trim, etc.

This building is the epitome of the 2 Story Colonial and an exemplification of early American architecture at its best.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:shock:

Yes, well it appears that I am only half right about the White Horse Tavern.

Though still a Colonial, it is in reality a 3 story Gambrel as you can see in the photo below.

I have only driven by it 100 times or more. Should look up once in a while.

Though when you look at the White House Tavern from the front (photo below) it looks similar to the Lafayette house which is a 2 story colonial, but further inspection of the side view validates that it's really a Colonial Gambrel with its 4 plain hip roof.

Still a marvelous Colonial.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Wow! These houses are wonderful!

I never realized the White Horse was barn-shaped! I should look up as well! :shock:

Thanks!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Do you think the several fires in Fall River's history might have wiped out some lovely old houses? I wonder if there is a record of things lost?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Found the old photo below on ebay. It appears to be the house of a cigar merchant who lived at 908 Bedford Street Fall River, MA.

Below is the old photo of 908 with what appears to be the cigar gent and his wife. (?)

The other photo is of the same building today, 908 Bedford.

Notice the changes, the porch, additions, all corbels ripped off, the fancy clapboard between the windows covered in vinyl.

Along with architecture, in the wearing of time everything has become cheaper..........and not only buildings but in some cases, people.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

It is difficult not to be critical of a city who loves to dismantle its past in the name of progress.........a-kin to throwing away all your family photos and mementos etc.

Of course, to under stand how this is possible you would need to attend a couple of zoning board meetings or a city council meeting. Or just live here.

Latest rumor is that Charlton Hospital is eyeing another city block stock full of Victorian buildings. After speaking to a friend that lives in that block I was told that a law group has approached some of the residence with questions about selling their property.

To get back to the above, you would need to visit a fall river city council meeting. Some of its members make Archie Bunker look like sherlock Holmes. Watching these cerebral geniuses in action is a study of the movie MY COUSIN VINNY.

The latest proposal is to demolish another historical building, this one in the South End of the city.

Wonderful little place.

Saint Johns Protestant Church. Not sure of the date, but I believe it was built sometime in the 1880s.

A near by Credit Union needs the property for a parking lot.

The ironic thing is that the Credit Union as the word "SAINT" in its title.

Chances of stopping them are none to nil.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

I know I don't live in Fall River anymore so I shouldn't complain....but enough is enough with the tearing down of Fall River's historic buildings. To the Mayor, City Council and City Planning Board.......WAKE UP YOU MORONS.........before you land up with a city that doesnt have anything uniquely like Fall River at all.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Can anyone tell me where this picture is ? I took off from the waterfront and headed up the hill. With the 3.1 liter engine of my buick rental car chugging away, I said to myself no wonder they call it the hill when is thing going to end?

I drove to the top then, a short time later I drove up the same road again. This time I pulled over and got out of the car and took this picture.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, FARGO

Your question is a little confusing.

Forgive me for saying so, but if you went up and down this street and need to ask where it is.............you missed the reason for your visit.

But, then again, you are probably pulling my leg.

The shot you took was taken from the corner of French And Barnaby Streets. Barnaby Street is behind you. The 3 decker on the right is on the corner of Barnaby and French Street.

So you are looking up FRENCH STREET.

You are pulling my leg, No?

If you travel up the road in the photo, once you reach the fourth intersection Maplecroft is on the left. The fifth intersection is the end of French Street and the corner of French and Highland Avenue.

:study:
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

:lol: No Mbhenty, I'm not pulling your leg. I drove by Maplecroft earlier from the top going down French street but I didn't drive to the bottom of the street.

Later going up French street from the bottom I guess I never realized what street it was. Although I can't believe I would have drove by Maplecroft again without noticing it. Unless I turned off just before I got to it.

This is pretty funny, sort of like being in the forest but I can't find the trees.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Hehehehe. I got lost on North Main Street. I was doing great til then...I found the AJ Borden bldg & then tried to find my way back to Rock Street & got hopelessly lost.

I asked for directions & found I was actually doing better than I thought; I was about a block west of Rock St.

:roll:

I noticed not every intersection had street signs...which I believe is how I got messed up.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Kat

Post by Kat »

Was that street picture from your visit in 2004, Fargo?
If so, and you forgot where others were taken, asking here is a great idea! :smile:
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Yes, that picture was taken in the afternoon on Oct 27th 2004. I had already visited Oak Grove and the FRHS. I was touring the Highlands while waiting for check in time at the B and B. Most of the other pictures I have though are the same things we all take pictures of, Maplecroft the B and B, etc. One picture I though might be unique was of the area between the B and B and the Leary, but I think Shelly already posted a picture of that.