Audrey can you translate this?

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Stefani

Audrey can you translate this?

Post by Stefani »

I saw this on ebay and it is written in French. I am only curious as to what it says, not thinking this is anything important.

thanks!

Audrey

Post by Audrey »

MON DIEU!

It was hard to see and when I zoomed in it made it even harder as it was blurred...

Basically....

Dear (name?)

I know you like postcards and I am writing in French to practice.

They go on to tell the receiver that they think about them a great deal.

The rest is too small to see!

Is this the orignial size???

It is clearly written by someone to whom French is not their first language but they did a good job!
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Wouldn't it have been a good idea for someone like Lizzie (infamous) to write to friends this way---in a foreign language? Just a thought. An envelope would work better, I know.
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
diana

Post by diana »

Could the salutation be Dear Sister? And then the part at the end is something to the effect 'I know you have a lot of postcards (something, something......) another one for your collection.'? But I can't make out the signature at all.

I love old postcards with messages on them!
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

it IS sister!

Sharp eyes!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Yes Stafani: There were many, many of these cards in French. I have a couple in my collection. Have no idea what they say, but treasures to me nonetheless.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here's another. In French, small print. The card that is with it is similar to the one with the greetings. I included it to give you an idea. Post card collecting could be much fun. If you look closely you can see the price that I paid for them, over 20 years ago. (In pencil) These were probably purchased at "A Taste of Honey Bookstore."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Over 30 years ago I wrote to the Joan of Arc museum in France asking about a painter who did a painting of Joan of Arc that I duplicated. I got a real nice long letter back written in French! I couldn't read French and it never dawned on me to get a French-English dictionary. After keeping it for several years I threw it out. Stupid me!

I still kick myself over that. I'm still wondering about that painter... :-?

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

That's kind of cool. Sometimes when I take my grandmother back to Germany for a visit, I will send a card to my supervisor, in German. He always says he is fluent, and then when I get home, I have to help him translate.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
RayS

Post by RayS »

"[censored]" has taken French Leave and will no longer be available to post here.
PS
My apologies for my forgetfulness.
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

mbhenty @ Fri May 05, 2006 11:00 am wrote::smile:

Here's another. In French, small print. The card that is with it is similar to the one with the greetings. I included it to give you an idea. Post card collecting could be much fun. If you look closely you can see the price that I paid for them, over 20 years ago. (In pencil) These were probably purchased at "A Taste of Honey Bookstore."

Michael, I noticed your mention of the "A Taste of Honey Bookstore." Have you ever seen the movie, "A Taste of Honey?" I must have heard the song a gazillion times but in all these years I have not seen the film. The actress in it told me I would enjoy it but I have yet to find it locally on DVD or VHS.

I love collecting old post cards of old scenes and compare them with the same scene as it is today to see how time has changed it. It's a lot of fun.

-1bigsteve (o:
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

I've never seen the film either Steve, but like you, have heard the tune a million times! Here's a possible source for a dvd copy; found it in the IMDB listing for the film - on the message board rather: DVD can be requested from the Rita Tushingham website:
http://members.cox.net/rjd0309/tush/

I just checked that site, and it says a copy can be had from the webmaster - that's of a dvd, Region 0 (all regions), NTSC format (USA, Canada).

The dvd is for sale at Amazon.com (the Brit version of Amazon, that is) but the region code wouldn't be right for US/Canada viewing. The "copy request" thing is an email link.

Good luck! :wink:
I staid the night for shelter at a farm behind the mountains, with a mother and son - two "old-believers." They did all the talking...
- Robert Frost
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Thank you, Doug. I'll checkout those DVD's. I don't have a DVD player for my TV but it is my next project. In fact I really need to buy a new TV also. I guess I'll need the "Region 0" format for USA viewing.

-1bigsteve (o:
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Ayup, that's the bird you'd need all right. I have one or two of those that are "Region 0" versions, and they play just fine in every one of my dvd players.

Winds may blow over the icy sea
I'll take with me the warmth of thee
A taste of honey
A taste much sweeter than wine

(I just might have Herb Alpert's rendition of this - instrumental - on vinyl!) :shock:
I staid the night for shelter at a farm behind the mountains, with a mother and son - two "old-believers." They did all the talking...
- Robert Frost