Canadians taking over Fall River?

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

DWilly

Canadians taking over Fall River?

Post by DWilly »

Today I was thumbing through Mary Livermore's autobiography The Story Of My Life. On page 398, Mary wrote about how when she and her husband first arrived in Fall River life was in many ways better than what they were later on in Fall River. She wrote about how much of New England was at that time still under the control of what she felt was good old New England folks. She apparently felt that later on things started to go down hill and she penned this line: " The invasion of New England by Canada had not then begun." Wow, I didn't know that folks from Canada was seen as a problem in Fall River. Who the heck were all of these Canadians and just what were they taking over? :peanut19: Or was Mary just over reacting?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hmmm, is that French Canadians?
They would be Catholic?

Anyway, she's harkening back to the *good 'ole days* of 1845, right?
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Those Canadians were folks like my great-grandfather Julian Richard who was a weaver in a New Bedford mill. He move across the river into Fairhaven in 1904.

As the technology in the cotton mills improved in the 1800s, some of the skilled labor, traditionally provided by the English, could be replaced by lower paid, less skilled or unskilled labor. That's when the French Canadians started moving down.

By the late 1800s, Irish Catholics, French Catholics and Portuguese Catholics were gaining political power, which the old Yankees feared greatly.

In Fairhaven, the first Catholic Mass was celebrated by the Fathers of the Sacred Hearts in 1905. By 1925, Fairhaven had three Catholic churches, two Catholic elementary schools, a Catholic high school for girls and a Catholic college for young men. All that in a span of just 20 years.

Those families that had been the ruling class since their ancestors arrived on the Mayflower were just a bit unsettled by this turn of affairs.
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Harry

Post by Harry »

This is from Brown's book, page 16, paperback edition:

"... French Canadians (19 percent of the population) settled in the east end of the city while the Portuguese (3 percent) were in the south end. ..."

Then on page 18:

"Except for The Hill itself, the English (11 percent of the population) and the Irish (7 percent) were allowed their choice of what was left in Fall River."

He doesn't cite a source for this information so there is no way of knowing whether these numbers are correct or where they came from. Nor does he mention a year but I assume it's in the 1890s.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:
augusta

Post by augusta »

Only 7% Irish? I agree, mb. That just don't sound right.

If you think about it, Canada isn't all that far from Fall River. It was a very well-known city in its day, because of the mills. And later, because of Emeril. :grin: Would they have come to find work in the mills?

Re: about 1845: * "Immigration, especially from Ireland, increased during this period, though it did not play as significant a role in the labor force as it would in the last three decades of the nineteenth century. There was also a significant English and French-Canadian community in Fall River. However, like the other immigrant groups, they did not come in great numbers until after the Civil War. In 1865 less than one-third of the Fall River residents were immigrants. By 1875 immigrants would make up the majority of Fall River's population."

"Between 1865 and 1875 the percent of foreign born in Fall River rose from 31 percent to 53 percent of the population. The total population of Fall River during these same years increased from 17,481 to 43,340. The Irish, who had made up one of the largest immigrant groups prior to the Civil War, started moving to Fall River in even greater numbers. By 1875 there were 2,500 Irish living in Fall River. More French-Canadians also started coming here after the war. The first French parish, Ste. Anne's, was organized in 1869. The decades after 1875 witnessed an even greater influx of immigrants into Fall River, earning it the nickname of Immigrant City."

"Between 1870 and 1900 the population of Fall River quadrupled, going from 27,000 to 105,000. By the turn of the century, fewer than 4 percent of the mill workers in Fall River were American born or of American parentage. The English were the largest group of immigrants in Fall River in 1880. ..... The Irish formed the second largest immigrant group, their population doubling between 1875 and 1885. However, immigration from both England and Ireland dropped sharply in the 1890's, probably because the working conditions in Fall River were no better than those back home.

"The French-Canadian population of Fall River climbed from 2 percent in 1865 to 20 percent in 1880. By 1900 they were the largest single ethnic group in Fall River. Toward the end of the century, Portuguese and Azoreans started immigrating to Fall River, taking up the job slack caused by decreasing immigration from the British Isles."

"The 1900 U.S. Census showed Fall River to have the highest percentage of foreign-born residents of any large U.S. city. ... although the English continued to dominate the labor movement in Fall River. The French-Canadians were the largest immigrant group. ... In 1925 the Portuguese outnumbered all other ethnic groups."

There were Poles, Russians, eastern European Jews, Lebanese, Syrians, and Italians.

*= All of the above from "Fall River, A Pictorial History, by Judith A. Boss, copyright 1982, The Donning Company, Norfolk, VA

DWilly - Does Mary Livermore tell how she met Lizzie's mother?
DWilly

Post by DWilly »

augusta @ Tue May 16, 2006 11:23 am wrote:
DWilly - Does Mary Livermore tell how she met Lizzie's mother?

I didn't come across anything on Lizzie or her mother. The thing is I didn't read the book cover to cover. I just flipped through it. It seems to deal mainly with Mary's life from about 1845-1865. Maybe this weekend I'll start reading it.

Few things that I did read:

Mary wrote about marriage. She did not agree with Catholics in declaring that marriage was a Sacrament. She felt that too many marriages were more like slavery.

There were several interesting illustrations in the book. One showed some people at Mary's house just dancing wildly. They were not dancing a waltz. The picture shows a bunch of Victorians really kicking up their heels. In the next picture Mary's house is a wreck.

In another illustrations Mary is shown walking clearly behind her Minister husband as they pass a line of people. The caption said something about Mary walking behind her husband to make sure no one attacked him from behind. There was apparently some controversy involving her husband. That illustration reminded me of the illustration I saw where Mary has her arm around Lizzie's waist in the courtroom.

This weekend I play my last USTA Tennis League match of the spring season. So, I'll be able to read more of the book. I know that the University of Nevada, Las Vegas also, has some of Mary's writings on microfilm. These are works dealing with various women's issues.
Kat

Post by Kat »

From what I understand, Mary's husband, the Pastor, was more of a free thinker and Suffragette where women were concerned, and was an example to Mary. She kind of was inspired by him, but she did go on to great things, like personally visiting and ministering to the troops in the war.

The Bordens and the Livermores knew each other from when the Rev. Daniel took over the Pastorship at their church in Fall River, and the couple's became friends, c. 1845. Each couple also married in 1845.

--"A Gentle Girl," Boston Daily Globe, June 18, 1893: 4
and
James, Edward T., ed. Notable American Women 1607-1950: A Biographical Dictionary, Vol. 2, Cambridge, MA: Belknap Press, 1971: 410-13.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Will be looking forward to an overview of Livermore's autobiography.
I only have one chapter, XXIV: "We Commence Housekeeping- Some Comical Experiences- My First Fish Chowder And Its Ignominious Fate- A Patient Husband."
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thanks for sharing some stuff you found in your Mary Livermore book, DWilly. It was really interesting.

I don't suppose you can scan that photo of them dancing? It sounds like something to see.

That wasn't a joke caption - that Mary was walking behind her husband so no one would attack him?

I agree with her somewhat about marriage. I do think it's a sacrament. But there's times ... All the more back then, probably. Those housewives worked themselves to death.

So the book does not include her and Lizzie. Did Mary L. write a sequel?

THANK YOU, KAT - for the info on where Sarah met Mary Livermore! I never knew that. I didn't even know Mary was a pastor's wife. What religion was this? I am wondering if Andrew was a Quaker back then.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Emeril is from Fall River?

Mon Dieu!

I wonder if Lizzie (?) yelled 'BAM" as she struck the blows?
Kat

Post by Kat »

There are a few details regarding the relationship between the Livermores and the Bordens in my Hatchet story called "The Visit."
Dec./Jan. 2005

BTW: I think it is really weird that the only chapter of Mary's autobiography we gained from Terence is the same one here mentioned with the phrase about "The invasion of New England by Canada had not then begun." (Chapter 25!)
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:
DWilly

Post by DWilly »

Well, here goes. Three pictures from Livermore's book. The first one is the dance. Mary's house got a bit damaged. The second one is Mary walking behind her husband to prevent an attack from the rear and the final picture is a real picture of Mary Livermore in her study:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Those are very nice, whimsical, and evocative. Thank you very much!
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

This weekend I play my last USTA Tennis League match of the spring season. So, I'll be able to read more of the book. I know that the University of Nevada, Las Vegas also, has some of Mary's writings on microfilm. These are works dealing with various women's issues.
So you are a pro player huh ? That is great ! I could never get the hang of tennis. I am just too uncoordinated I guess. Racquetball was a bit easier for me...but seemingly more dangerous ! Will we be able to see any of your matches on TV ?

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
DWilly

Post by DWilly »

theebmonique @ Sun May 21, 2006 1:31 pm wrote:
So you are a pro player huh ? That is great ! I could never get the hang of tennis. I am just too uncoordinated I guess. Racquetball was a bit easier for me...but seemingly more dangerous ! Will we be able to see any of your matches on TV ?

Tracy...

No, not a pro. USTA League gives devoted tennis fans, like myself, a chance to play on a team. We play against other clubs. It's set up so you have your number one singles player play theirs and a number two singles. That follows a number one doubles team, number two and finally a number three. Just about everyone plays at one time or another in all of the slots.

The team I'm on now is great. Very supportive. All most all of us also play tournament tennis too and we go to each others matches and cheer each other on. It's nice social tennis but at the same time it's pretty competitive. Keeps me out of trouble. :grin:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

How fun ! You will have to keep us posted on your stats ! I always wanted to go up the ranks in softball, but my mom made me concentrate on academics...so the sports and music interests I had withered a bit.

OK...I know...I am way off topic.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Audrey.....I loved that. You wondered if Lizzie said "Bam" when striking Mr. and Mrs. Borden :lol: That is too funny.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Caesar

Post by Caesar »

Yup and I'm one of those French-Canadians. it seems like its mostly Portuguese now
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Well, this Canadian would like to take over Maplecroft. :lol:

1st time seeing this topic & could not resist!

I wish I had my Rebello with me, as there were several Canadians around Lizzie. Offhand, Dr. Annie McCrae & her sister were from Acadian Canada. There is also Nance's actress friend (curse my aging memory & she's in my bloody book!)*** who was originally from British Columbia, Canada. She was said to have introduced Lizzie & Nance. Of course, Nance's mentor McKee Rankin, who was born here in Ontario. There are others...

*** Ricca Allen! (Don't you just hate when that happens!)
Kat

Post by Kat »

How about Dr. Chagnon? And I think Mrs. Dr. Chagnon died in a fire in a nunnery in Canada?