Old Capitol Theater making a comeback?

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

SuFiDC18

Old Capitol Theater making a comeback?

Post by SuFiDC18 »

I was excited to read this story in today's Fall River Herald. It seems a hidden city jewel is about to re-emerge in downtown, if all goes to plan. Really exciting:
-------------------------------

Second-Run Theater

FALL RIVER -- When Donna and Glenn Viveiros initially became interested in purchasing the building that currently houses Sonho Do Lar furniture on South Main Street, they envisioned turning it into warehouse and office space.

But after talking to the real estate agent and Jim Rogers, the city’s project director for downtown redevelopment, the Westport couple learned that tucked beneath the store’s recesses lives a once-vibrant theater.

If everything goes according to the Viveiros’ plan, 82 years after the theater’s doors first opened in 1926, the Capitol Theater will reopen.

"When we saw the theater it kind of changed the scope of what we expected to do with it," said Glenn Viveiros, a Fall River native. "I think Fall River needs something like this. I can’t see this being demolished or turned into office space."

The goal now, he said, "is to restore it to what it was."

Within the next few days, the Viveiroses, who own a telecommunications business, expect to finalize the purchase of the property that has housed the furniture store since 1981.

"This could be the beginning of bringing back Fall River, bringing back downtown, getting people to open shops again," Donna Viveiros said.

After the sale is finalized, the Viveiroses said they plan to establish a nonprofit organization to guide the rehabilitation project and eventually run the theater.

Glenn Viveiros said he expects the rehabilitation to cost about $5 million.

"We are going to look for donations from the community and grants from local and state government to help restore it," Donna Viveiros said.

"I feel a group of people with the same goal should be able to do the funding and the work," Glenn Viveiros said.

Though they’ve never worked on a project of this magnitude, the Viveiroses are no strangers to rehabilitating property, as they’ve revitalized several commercial and residential properties.

After opening its doors in 1926, the Capitol Theater closed in 1957. It then briefly served as office space before becoming a bowling alley in 1962. From then until 1975, it was known as the Capitol Bowling Alley.

The city controlled the property from 1977 to 1978, and Sonho Do Lar opened in 1981.

Originally a 1,500-seat movie house with a balcony, stage and orchestra pit, Glenn Viveiros said the new theater will have slightly fewer seats, but will still seat more than 1,000 people.

"Our goal is to get it back, but make it comfortable for the current environment," Glenn Viveiros said.

Besides the theater, which the Viveiroses plan to use for performances and films, the building will also house office space and likely a cafe or a restaurant.

"I’ve been talking to many people who have expressed interest in being involved in the project. It would be a gem to have the theater restored to a performing arts center," Rogers said. "We are working closely with (the Viveiroses). It’s a mammoth project.

"It’s going to take a period of time to do it. The young couple is very enthusiastic about it. Hopefully, with community support and obtaining grants, it can be done," Rogers added.

Mayor Edward M. Lambert Jr., who earlier this year said the city was exploring the possibility of buying the theater, called the Viveiroses’ impending purchase "great" and vowed to work with the couple to make it work.

"I’ve already spoken to them and we agreed, when the transaction is completed, they will sit down with us," Lambert said. "I’m especially pleased they share our goal of restoration and we’ll try to bring some of the resources available at the state and other grant programs to make it happen."

Although they don’t yet officially own the building, the Viveiroses have already begun tearing down the faux floors, walls and ceilings that formed the furniture store’s showrooms and hid the theater.

"When we started taking ceiling tiles down, we saw some of the molding and were like, ‘Wow, this is incredible,’" Donna Viveiros said. "A lot of the building is still intact."

From just above the building’s second floor, visitors can see two huge chandeliers hanging from the ceiling in front of the stage, sconces on the walls and decorative trim wraps around the theater.

Though much of the theater remains intact, the Viveiros are asking for anybody with pictures of the Capitol Theater when it was in operation to contact them at 508-679-3420 or to e-mail them at donnaviveiros@charter.net.

"If they could contact us, it would help us get it back to what it was," Glenn Viveiros said.

E-mail Daniel Fowler at dfowler@heraldnews.com.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes and thank you so much for typing all that!
You must be really fast!
SuFiDC18

Post by SuFiDC18 »

Nope, just the fastest copy-and-paster in the east. (It was on the paper's website.) :grin:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yea but it took you forever to reply! :peanut19:
Where'yabeen?
We were just in Westport!
SuFiDC18

Post by SuFiDC18 »

And once again, it's taken me another few weeks to reply. If I keep this up, we might complete an entire conversation within the next ten months. But seriously, I should visit this forum more often. Right now I'm up to once or twice a week, but everything here is so interesting, it should be a sin not to check in at leasty every other day.

But I'm glad you got to visit Westport, Kat. It's a peaceful place as you no doubt know, but it's not too far from Fall River, New Bedford, and Providence.

If you ever stay in the area again and can't find room at the B&B, might I recommend the Pacquachuck Inn, located at the end of Main Road, in the historic district. I don't know what the fares are, but I've heard from many it's a pleasant place to stay. You sort of feel sent back in time, as the old Inn is surrounded by homes built in the 16th and 17th centuries. A lovely area.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I must say I slept the best night I had on the trip at the B&B. I have strange allergies that rear up when I'm not expecting it. The hotel we had been staying at, tho enjoyed by my travel-mates, was kind if detrimental to my health.
I think a B&B, or Inn might just be more my style. Thanks for the tip.
Peachy

Post by Peachy »

I haven't been on this site for a long time, but I'm a Fall River native now living in Seattle.

I think it is great they are restoring the Capital Theatre. I remember when they tore down the old Durfee theatre as well and it made me sick to my stomach. Fall River has such incredible architecture and back in the 70s so much of it was torn down. Thank goodness there are people with enough sense to realize what a crime it would be to tear down the Capital for OFFICE SPACE!!!! :evil:
william

Post by william »

The now defunct theaters of Fall River have always held a fascination for me. Toward this end I have accumulated a log of photographs and information on the subject.

One of the photos (1940) shows the marquee of the Capital Theater advertising the film, "Broadway Melody of 1940," starring Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell. There is also a view of the lobby with a banner, "Grapes of Wrath."

Additional photographs show the spacious seating arrangement in the orchestra and balcony.

Let us hope the reconstruction of old movie houses becomes pandemic in Fall River - I nominate the Acacemy Building Theater. Do I hear a second?
Kat

Post by Kat »

I love pictures of old theatres!
Heck, I also love old theatres! :smile: