Liquor Raid in Fall River, 1893

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Airmid

Liquor Raid in Fall River, 1893

Post by Airmid »

While searching the web for information, I came across this juicy bit:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ussnei/Raid8-25-93.htm

That's "our" officer Mullaly that's mentioned in there. It seems Adrew had good cause not to want liquor sellers in his shop, if that was indeed the case!

Airmid.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Good find, Airmid.

In addition to Mullaly most of the officers mentioned in the paragraph had at least a little involvement in the Borden case.

Hyde for instance testified at the trial. He was the officer who saw Lizzie and Alice and then Lizzie alone go to the cellar the evening after the murders. He also played a part in searching the house.

I believe it was Chace who was on duty when Morse buried the clothes in the back yard. Riley was involved in the search of the barn. Shay and Reagan are mentioned as guards around the house as well as at the funeral.

It's always fun to run across other articles on as you put it (and I agree) "our" guys. Fleshes them out a little bit.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Airmid--The Southern New England Irish is a great little site. Check out Dr. Coughlin's picture in the photo album section.
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

Was there any mafia or anything similar in Fall River at the time of the murders? I know this is way out there in left field, but that post about raids got me to thinking, perhaps Andrew's unwillingness to sell liquor in one of his stores might have upset the wrong people? Just a thought.
The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mohandas Gandhi
RayS

Post by RayS »

Were they raided because they were unlicensed? Doubt it.
More probable (IMO) is that they were used for bookmaking, "selling used goods", etc.
Prior to the 1880s bookmaking was not a crime. (Read it somewhere?)
PS
You do know that prior to 1914 or so anyone could legally sell cocaine and morphine in a drug store? Patent medicines often had these an ingredients.
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.