Mayflower--Philbrick

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

DWilly

Mayflower--Philbrick

Post by DWilly »

I am almost done reading Nathaniel Philbrick's book Mayflower. It's a good book and currently on the New York Times best seller's list. The book is broken up into two parts. Part one is the Mayflower and the second part deals with what happened years later in the Massachusetts area. It is that part some of you may find interesting. Fall River is mentioned very briefly but Taunton and especially Swansea are mentioned in the second half quite a bit. Swansea had a horrible Pilgrims/Puritans/Indian battle during King Phillip's War. One name popped up that I *think* I may have seen posted on this forum in one of the genealogy lists was Nathaniel Davenport. He led the Pilgrims/Puritans in one battle and was killed. Also, mentioned Captain John Almy's house and Captain Joseph Gardner. Don't know if that means anything. Anyway, for some of you more knowledgeable about the area the book may have a few things you want to look at.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

I was looking at that book at BJ's, but have been very short of reading time lately.

It did look very interesting so it's nice to know that there a familiar names mentioned in the book. King Philip's War was a major slaughter for the Indian tribes with over 3,000 Indians killed. Many of the tribes were so decimated after the war that they could not survive as independent tribes and had to merge with the Narragansett tribe.

Thanks for the insight into the book!