Addresses in Fall River

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Oscar

Addresses in Fall River

Post by Oscar »

I'm planning to spend a day or two in Fall River this weekend and wondered if anyone had previously compiled a list of addersses of Lizzie Borden related buildings and places in town to visit, and also in New Bedford, and Taunton.

Also are there any good maps of Fall River online. Mapquest leaves a lot to be desired.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Have fun!
Since the book Lizzie Borden Past & Present is sold out, here is the diagram of "Andrew Borden's Last Walk In Life."
Harry & I have the author's permission to use his illustrations if we give credit.
Also, if you stop in at the Borden B&B, ask for a local map they provide for the *sights.* It's good.

[Remember, the address numbers changed in 1896, and some changed again after that, I believe].
Please click on the picture:

Pg. 565

"APPENDIX E

ANDREW J. BORDEN'S LAST WALK IN LIFE
AUGUST 4, 1892

[1] Andrew left to go downtown
Lizzie's inquest testimony
[2] barber shop
Peter Leduc reportedly shaved Andrew Borden the
morning of August 4, 1892. The shop was located at 5 Main Street above Wood & Hall's. (Fall River Daily Herald, August 4, 1892)
[3] Post Office
Lizzie asked about mail; reportedly Andrew walked
to the Post Office to retrieve the mail. (Lizzie's inquest testimony)
[4] Union Savings Bank 3 Market Square (Preliminary Hearing: 29)
[5] National Bank 3 Market Square (Preliminary Hearing: 30)
[6] First National Bank 58 North Main Street (Preliminary Hearing: 29)
[7] In front of Shove & Fisher's Store. Clegg called Andrew to his
store just across the street.
9, 11 North Main Street (Trial: 172-173)
[8] Clegg's Store 6 North Main, Richardson Building (Preliminary
Hearing: 43:)
[9] Clegg's Store in process ... of remodeling)
92 South Main Street (Trial: 173, 175)
[10] Andrew turned and walked up Second Street.
Miss Mary Gallagher saw Andrew at the corner of
South Main and north on Second and Spring with a
small package in his hand at 10: 15 a.m. (Preliminary Hearing: 10). Andrew Borden was seen by Edmund Whitehead on Spring Street. Preliminary Hearing: 43) Southard H. Miller was in Whitehead's Market and saw Andrew Borden turn onto spring Street (Fall River Weekly News, August 17, 1892:4). Mrs. Lizzie Gray observed Andrew Borden turning north on Second Street (Preliminary Hearing: 43).
[11] Andrew arrived home.
He went to the north side of the house, turned around and was seen going to the front door.
Bridget opened the door. Andrew was seen by Mrs. Kelly.
[12] Lizzie asked her father if she had any mail. He said, "None for you." (Lizzie's inquest testimony)

Note: Union Savings Bank and the Fall River National Bank were both in the same building. B.M.C. Durfee Safe & Trust Company were in the same room as the First National Bank."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Kat, Thanks for the info! Actually I do have copy of the Rebello book but only ever skimmed through the appendix.

I always thought that Andrew had gone to the AJ Borden building in his final AM.

Is it worth going to New Bedford to see the Court House and the other out of towm sites?
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

OH YES ! I would call the courthouse a MUST see...particularly if you can get into THE courtroom.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes Yracy is right. There is something incredible about the courtroom, and those there have been very accommodating, when told of the *pilgrimage* of Borden-related sites. Maybe because they are court officers and know an unsolved case is important?

Also, New Bedford is pretty cool in itself. In the daytime that is.

If you have Rebello, you can also scan and print page 562 and 563 and 564-the map and Legend of Second Street to take with you.
Kat

Post by Kat »

The map they provide at the B&B will give you directions to Oak Grove Cemetery and Maplecroft on French Street as well.
Oak Grove has never been closed at night the times we were there so you might consider that a place to go in the evening after the Historical Society closes.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Does anyone have an address for the Court House in New Bedord and is it easy to find?

Thanks
Kat

Post by Kat »

I think it's on Court Street? :batman:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I am sure one of the area locals can give you an exact address, but I just stopped at a convenience store...asked for directions, and they were happy to oblige.

Tracy...
Kat

Post by Kat »

I'm wrong. I really was joking.
There is something somewhere on Court Street- just not the New Bedford courthouse. :batman:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Oscar:

The site below should be for the Court House in New Bedford. I think it gives some sort of directions on the site.

http://www.mass.gov/courts/jury/115.htm
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks!
You know, the courthouse is now wheelchair accessible.
Does that mean wheelchair persons did not have to serve on a jury until the past year? Yikes! :shock:
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Thanks everyone for the information you've provided for my trip.

Alas, I cannot figure out how to do spell check here...
Harry

Post by Harry »

Oscar, if you can get into the Court House in New Bedford it's an absolute must. Except for the modern conveniences the interior of the court room looks much like it did in 1893. It is a marvelous experience just being in the room.

Not too far from the Court is the Ash Street jail where Lizzie was held during the trial. The part of the jail where Lizzie's cell was, however, is gone, lost to fire. Warning though, they don't allow photographs even from the street. When we were there a police officer quickly came out of the building and stopped our photographic efforts.

Knowlton's home is also in New Bedford. I believe Tracy might know the address.

Enjoy your trip!

BTW, there is no spell check on the forum. Drat!
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I can't remember the exact address...Green Street ?...or was that where Emma stayed ? I would check my Rebello, but it is packed away at the moment due to summer cleaning. I am sure Chris, Cynthia, or Michael could help with the address part ?

Tracy...
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Green Street was were Emma stayed in Fairhaven. mbhenty's link shows the courthouse's address as 441 county street.

Harry, why won't they let people take pictures of the jail? That seems like an intrusion on civil liberties.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Fargo @ Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:06 pm wrote:Harry, why won't they let people take pictures of the jail? That seems like an intrusion on civil liberties.
The jail is still in use. I think they think you might be taking photos to help plan a break out. I can't remember what he actually told us and I'm not sure he even told us anything but don't. He was very pleasant about it though. We had taken a few already and he didn't confiscate the cameras.
william

Post by william »

If the jail is still in use and prisoners are kept there, it could be considered an invasion of their privacy to take photographs
Yes? No?
Harry

Post by Harry »

Inside the jail where the prisoners were for sure, but we were outside on the street and he came out to tell us no. The photos we were taking were just the front of the building and would have been little or no help for aiding an escape.
RayS

Post by RayS »

william @ Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:38 pm wrote:If the jail is still in use and prisoners are kept there, it could be considered an invasion of their privacy to take photographs
Yes? No?
NO.
I know they can arrest you for talking to the prisoners (from the street). There is some kind of law regarding prisons. Ask your legislature, as I'm sure your state law is the same.
PS
I believe there are laws that control / prevent people from taking photos while in a public street. News photographers are allowed (1st Amendment).
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:
Harry

Post by Harry »

mbhenty @ Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:49 pm wrote:Yes Tracy: Not sure where the Knowlton house is? But, I thought it was in Marion, not New Bedford unless that was his summer home? I know that when he died he was at his summer home. Can't find it in Rebello....(?)
Michael, Knowlton's home was in New Bedford, his summer home was in Marion.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile: