Staff Poll

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Will the new owners keep the same staff?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 13

bsr88

Staff Poll

Post by bsr88 »

Hey everyone! I asm new to the boards here, but I really enjoy hearing about the case. I stayed at the inn in February, and I am returning in August. They have a really nice staff - everyone is so friendly and eager to help! Elenor was our tour guide, and she was wonderful. I really hope they keep the same staff under new ownership. What do you think?
Le classe de français cinq a l'ecole Chariho rappèlent la voyage aux Québec. Le 24 avril - 29 2006
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

The Starbucks thing is scary enough, but if the new owners let that premier staff go...whew. My experiences in staying at the house twice with Eleanor as a tour guide and with Dave and Ed cooking the wonderful breakfast were wonderful and unforgettable. I cannot imagine the house without them.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Kat

Post by Kat »

It's a good question, because it asks people basically to praise the staff and give the owner's some feedback as to who will stay. (If they care to look here...)

I can't vote tho. I think I know the answer.

Welcome. :smile:
bsr88

Post by bsr88 »

Thanks! I have to say as good as Elenor was, the two cooks were my favorite! I love to cook myself, and they taught me a lot about old-time cooking, and showed me how to porepare for the borden breakfast. I'll see what happens when I go in August..... :grin:
Le classe de français cinq a l'ecole Chariho rappèlent la voyage aux Québec. Le 24 avril - 29 2006
Maplecroft2112

Post by Maplecroft2112 »

Hi all. I was talking with one of the "old" staff members (I can't mention any names), but I do know that some staff members have been let go, but Dave, Ed and I believe Eleanor are still there. I heard it's a more corporate atmosphere, whereas before it was like a family.
I understand it's a business and the owners want to make money, but if the business is not run in a genial manner as before, it is doomed to fail.
I was also very surprised to see the rise in rates. I guess you can rent Emma's room or Mrs. Borden's room separately, but I don't know how the people staying in Lizzie's or Andrew and Abby's room will feel about that! It looks like the only price that has not changed is for the attic rooms. In the new owners defense though, I can say I talked to a few of the new staff members and they seem very nice and excited about the house. I hope it continues that way!
I was married at the Lizzie Borden bed and breakfast on opening day, August 4th, 1996. Would love to correspond with other Lizzie buffs! E-mail me! :-)
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for reviving this topic Pam!

I'd like to ask BSR88 what their stay was like in August!

I guess I should check their website for the rise in rates.
I think they have revamped their site?
bsr88

Post by bsr88 »

Sorry for the lack of posts, but I have been really busy!!

Kat, thanks for your interest in my visit. We stayed over Fri Aug. 13 in the LIzzie and Emma Suite. We had Elenor for our tour guide (again), and Ed was the only cook (Dave was on Vacation!). We stayed up all night until around 4 AM talking to Ed about his opinions and sharing ours. Elenor was delightful and we learned a lot more about the case in addiiton to what we already knew!

The rates have not changed, but their website is re-vamped and is 100% better! We met LeAnne, and got to know her better. She is a wonderful person, and is going to make a lot of changes to the Inn. The B&B will be closed from December through Feb. 1st for renovations. The Leary Press Building will be tourn down, and in its place will be "Lizzie's Side Garden". There will be no starbucks (thank god), but there will be a new parking lot behind the house for overnight guests. The barn will also be rebuilt in the original spot (or as close as they can get).

I think the hospitality is even better than it used to be. Elenor and Ed really made the trip worh while! LeAnne was upset because the person who booked the trip, gave us a HUGE discount on the room. She gave us the Lizzie room for $200, and then $50 per extra person... we had 4 more poeple including us two. That came to $400 plus tax. LeeAnne had to give it to us, but she said giving people all those discounts is why they never made any money, and that's why the Mginns sold the house. The new owners are really shaping things up!

We also went back for a daytime tour. We had a very nice tour guide, and yet again learned some new things. I never knew that the kitchen for the 2nd family who lived on the 2nd floor used to be Andrews room! I never knew that! I always wondered how that worked, or if they had to share the Bordens' kitchen!

The 2nd floor was full, but there was only two people on the 3rd floor. The Travel Channel was supposed to be there that night, but they had to cancel. We do plan on going again, because there is just so much to learn!

I am also making a powerpoint; a walk-through-of the Borden house with a corresponding booklet giving info. about the house/case. They also offered me a Day-time tourguide position, but I would rather wait until I'm 18. (Almost there!!!!!!!!) In the pics. I took with my digital camera (which is now broken ever since the Borden trip :< ) I captured some orbs. I attached them.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but there is a lot to tell! I can't wait to read other posts! Hope this helps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bsr88

Post by bsr88 »

Here is the other picture.

Sorry for double-posting! :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for the post and the pictures!

I think the orb in the guest room looks different than those in Bridget's. It looks like it's not a perfect circle, more like a wobbly one. It doesn't look like a reflection because there seems to be some density along with it's opaque charachteristics.

Good orb!
Better than mine in my dining room. :smile:
bsr88

Post by bsr88 »

Kat:

Do you mind posting the pic. of the orb in your dining room on this site? I think it would be cool to look at it.

Thanks!!
Kat

Post by Kat »

I think I posted it somewhere on the Forum- but here it is again.
My orb looks phony compared to yours. However, my Geometrical shapes/shadows are unusual and I have't seen that before or since.
Your Guest room orb seems 3 dimensional, which is impressive.

bsr88

Post by bsr88 »

I sent in all my pictures with what I thaught were orbs to a paranormal society, and they all (well all but 1) came back positive! They also sent me a package of informaiton on how to distinguish orbs for myself. After their response, I keep finding supposible orbs, and test them!!! I'm really happy, but yet in the same time I cannot let my mind imagine things for me.

How is everyone doing? I haven't posted in a long time.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

During my first stay at the house, my mother and I had the Lizzie and Emma suite...it was $200 a night, and now if you rent that same suite, it is $400 a night. No one mentioned that we were getting a discount. When I stayed the second time, I was told that if I wanted the Lizzie and Emma suite again, it would still be $200 per night...this was with Martha McGinn as owner. So, I would say yes, that there has been an increase in price with the hew owners. I think part of the charm of staying there in the past has been the relaxed atmosphere and the kindness of the people who worked there. Even staying there as the only guest was comfortable and relaxing. Some of the improvements the new owners want to make sound good, but if they leave out the "relaxed atmosphere and the kindness of the people who work there" part, I am worried that the future of the house could be in trouble...maybe ?

Tracy...
Kat

Post by Kat »

bsr88, what is the test for orbs?

Tracy: $400 a night, REALLY? :roll:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Yes Kat...$400. At least that's what I was told when I checked with them during the summer. I hope they change their minds. It's just my opinion, but I really feel that if they stay too "busines like" and lose the "neighborly" touch that some of us have experienced, it could be bad for business.

Tracy...
jamfaws

Post by jamfaws »

Tracy, In your opinion what is the best room to stay in for the night? and when you stay are you allowed to freely walk around the rest of the house (even late at night)? cheers Aaron
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Aaron, I have stayed in Lizzie's room and in the guest room. Both had their own exciting kind of appeal. My first time in Lizzie's rooom was exciting, just because I was THERE. The guest room was great the second time, because by then I knew more about the case, plus I was THERE...AGAIN ! I think when I go again next summer, I would like to try the room behind Bridget's room (Knowlton or Jennings ?). Eleanor (tour guide) claims it has been known to have more ghostly activity. Yes, you are allowed to roam around a bit. Except for other people's rooms, you pretty much can go anywhere, even the cellar...at least that's how it was before the new owners came along. I am sure Kat and some of the others could fill us in on what the new owners will/won't allow. Are you coming any closer to making some plans for a trip over here ?

Tracy...
Kat

Post by Kat »

Speaking of staff, Ed is retired and so has Dave Q., as far as I've heard.

I've not stayed the night and don't know the "overnight" policy, sorry.
jamfaws

Post by jamfaws »

Thanks Tracy,
I had hoped to make the trip sometime in May, but now I know how expensive it is going to be i'll hopefully save enough to get there around September 2005 (I can't believe it's $400 a night) I wish I had gone there in 1998 when I went to New York, but I spent most of my time in the Lincoln centre and the TV archives (as well as second hand book hunting)
I would have so much liked to have met all those lovely people you all keep talking about! Oh well i'll get there in the end (it's on my list of "To do" things before i'm 40-so time is rapidly runnig out :shock: ) Cheers Aaron
Allen

Post by Allen »

I hope they keep the same staff! The staff were a part of the reason my trips were so enjoyable! They were all so easy to talk to. And you were right about Dave the cook. He was very nice, during my second stay he presented me with a copy of "Slaughter on Second Street". You are allowed to roam around freely, anytime you like. Except into others peoples rooms as theebmonique said. I was also allowed to video tape and take photos to my hearts content on both trips.But this was with the old owners, so I don't know if the policy has changed. I would say that the cellar is the hardest to photograph or video tape.I am going to try, if its still permitted, to photograph it again when I go back.My video camera battery died when I went down, and my flash refused to work. Most of my pictures of the cellar turned out almost pure black.I did get a few good shots though. For the orbs..great photos! I have a photo I would like to show you that I took out in my grandmothers back yard. I was trying to photograph the first snow of the season.Its not an orb, I dont really,excuse me, know WHAT the hell is it. Its just weird. I havent showed it to many people.Not many of the people I know wouldn't just look at it and sigh and shake their head and say it's just a trick of the camera.But I will have to find it, I moved not too long ago and am still unpacking.When I go back I am planning to stay on the third floor this time, in Bridgets room. Has anyone stayed there? If so, what is it like?
I decided to stay there because the last time the "hair stood up on the back of my neck" in this room.
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Lee-ann

Post by Lee-ann »

You are allowed to take photos and video...we encourage it. You are allowed to roam the house at night...as long as you do not disturb the other guests. You are allowed to go into the basement at night...but only if you ask an employee...my office, the giftshop and cash register are all down here till the barn is built, so someone has to bring you down. Ed, Eleanor and Dave are still here and don't seem to be planning to retire any time soon.....any other questions?
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

YAHOO !!! Ed, Eleanor, and Dave ! I am glad to hear they are still there ! Tell them they will not be allowed to retire...ever. They are just too good ! Thanks for the good news Lee-ann !

Tracy...
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

Kat... Those pics you posted on the old forum of Oak Grove Cemetery were full or orbs....
Allen

Post by Allen »

:grin: :!: I will be looking forward to seeing them when I make my next visit! Very glad to hear they aren't going anywhere.
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Kat

Post by Kat »

Lee-ann @ Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:17 pm wrote:You are allowed to take photos and video...we encourage it. You are allowed to roam the house at night...as long as you do not disturb the other guests. You are allowed to go into the basement at night...but only if you ask an employee...my office, the giftshop and cash register are all down here till the barn is built, so someone has to bring you down. Ed, Eleanor and Dave are still here and don't seem to be planning to retire any time soon.....any other questions?
I have friends in Fall River, but they are not attached to the house.
I provided the info I was told, but getting it from the primary source is the best way to get it! Thanks so much for joining and offering answers to our thirsty members! :smile: Including me! It is much appreciated.
I see my info was incorrect, and I will not presume to give house staff info anymore, so please excuse me.
-Kat