Lizzie's Neighborhood -Painted Ladies

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

This one is for rent! Great water view on North Main ST.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Also on North Main, an unusual brick house now owned by the Catholic Diocese.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Charles Shove house on High, built 1850- I think this is the same Charles that was Ellen Shove's father. Ellen, being one of Lizzie's Grand Tour companions. I was picturing Lizzie visiting Ellen here, getting ready for the trip and getting a good look at how they lived on The Hill ! :grin:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The old Hooper house on French, on the corner. Looks like the Adams Family should live here. It's in pretty bad shape, but I see there seems to be some siding going up- right over the bad wood! It must have been amazing 100 years ago!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Here's a funny little commercial building for rent just diagonally across the street from Maplecroft- an odd place to find this.
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

Shelley @ Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:53 pm wrote:Here's a funny little commercial building for rent just diagonally across the street from Maplecroft- an odd place to find this.
Lizzie would probably have it torn down or moved!!!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

We were a little perplexed at the location of this building just right across from Maplecroft and that big Adams family mansion.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

If you stand on Maplecroft's steps and look diagonally to the left across the street, you will see this little building. Maybe we can investigate further Saturday morning? The big old "Adams Family" house on the corner of French and Highland used to be the Hooper house.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I remember the first time I saw the Hooper house. I thought...My hell, it's 1313 Mockingbird Lane ! I was tempted to knock on their door and see if Lurch would answer.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

"You Rang?"- Oh yes! I have thought the same thing. I wish they would get the siding on that place!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

yes we could investigate further. I also found the name of the reporter Mr.
Manning and made a list of people we haven't found that still could be here
as well as ones I have eliminated. I also looked up the names of the jurors in case some me be buried at one of the 2 cemetaries.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Shelley @ Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:53 pm wrote:Here's a funny little commercial building for rent just diagonally across the street from Maplecroft- an odd place to find this.

323 FRENCH ST

Owner
 COTE ENTERPRISES LLC
City
 FALL RIVER

State
 MA
Address
 302 HIGHLAND AVE
Zip

Sale Date
 9/28/2001
Sale Price
Grantor(Seller)
 COTE ENTERPRISES LLC

Year
Building Value

Xtra Features Value
Land Area
 0.146 acres
Land Value

Total Value

Narrative Description

This property contains 0.146 acres of land mainly classified as ONE FAMILY H with a(n) CONVENT`NL style building, built about 1940 , having WOOD SHING exterior and ASPHALT SH roof cover, with 1 unit(s), 8 total room(s), 3 total bedroom(s), 1 total bath(s), 0 total half bath(s), 0 total 3/4 bath(s).
----------------

Whomever they are, they also own 302 Highland and 268 Highland. The latter address is an office building.
The former looks like one too.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Was 323 ever a medical/dental office ? I parked there the first time I saw Maplecroft.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Kat

Post by Kat »

In 1946 FRCD I find Francis E. Sullivan at 323 French Street.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Also, 1946 FRCD I find Herman David at 306 French Street. Never heard of him!
RayS

Post by RayS »

The site www.zillow.com can provide info. Or the site for MLS (which may not be available to ordinary people).
Those Second Empire mansions used to symbolize a haunted house denote the ruined or failed millionaires from the late 19th century.
Getting rich quick they would spend a fortune on a big mansion. When they lost it to bigger crooks, it would deteriorate. Examples?

I've never seen them, but I once read that the Coal Mine Owners of Scranton PA also built big houses that decayed when they fell on hard times. They said they would get a 40% yearly return on their investments from squeezing money from their workers who lived in what were small shacks (company housing). Ever visit that museum near Antracite country?
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Once a private home on the corner of Lincoln and Highland, this magnificent enormous house is now the Women's Center of the Highlands.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I am hoping the Foster -Stafford House on Grove and Locust is the same Mr. Stafford whose tombstone is a replica of his mill! This is now condos. Fabulous old place, nicely maintained with NO aluminum siding.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The date on the sign is 1874.Image
Harry

Post by Harry »

Shelley @ Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:19 am wrote:Once a private home on the corner of Lincoln and Highland, this magnificent enormous house is now the Women's Center of the Highlands.
That's a beauty, Shelley. I believe it was the home of Sarah S. Brayton.

I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh Cool Har! I love those comparisons.
That's a nifty house!

BTW: I bet that "David" family are the ones who removed the *middle bar* of the Borden B at Maplecroft to make it a D!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The rain yesterday gave all the Painted Ladies on Rock Street a sparkle. I treated myself to a new digital camera for my birthday and made a slide show at the link below. The historical society Victorian garden was exquisite after the rain. I did not realize Jefferson Borden had 2 residences in Fall River- this was his second address:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks MB. The extra dimension you give and the insights, are valuable.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I have never much cared for the High Street house- looks like a mini White House with all those columns. I wish I had thought to photograph so many of the Hill houses before the home "unimprovements" and I really regret not taking photos of the old city hall when I had the chance. But- I'm making up for lost time now before anything else gets "improved". I love the idea of the mill-style architecture. There was a sign about an order of nuns on the property and I wonder if the Jeff Borden house is not part of a convent or something? I was in a hurry or would have knocked on the door- not being shy you see! :lol: He who hesitates is lost!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

I've been having fun tooning Lizzie's houses & I thought I'd go ahead & do all of them.

(MB, I hope you don't mind getting tooned!)

Note, much artistic license used. Was too lazy to include Hooper's next door. Yes, the house is not & prob never has been purple, but the color from the picture this was lifted from would have come out as a dark blob.
So, I did a "painted lady". Unfortunately, my current program I use to toon doesn't do a shingle texture (my MAC did).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

:cheers:
WOW! Good one TK! Thanks!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Constantine

Post by Constantine »

Love all these old houses. It's a good thing I'm not a termite: If I were, I'd eat 'em all up!
A man ... wants to give his wife ... the interest in a little homestead where her sister lives. How wicked to have found fault with it. How petty to have found fault with it. (Hosea Knowlton in his closing argument.)
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

mbhenty @ Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:31 pm wrote:

Love the color.

Will be painting my house in the next year. If this was the late 60s I would go for it, purple.
Imagine your neighbors' reaction :shock:

I'm disappointed you're not going to go for the purple (just kidding!)

Look forward to seeing what you do.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Well, it was bound to happen. My great passions in the city are #92, Oak Grove Cemetery and city architecture, so having "blogged" the first two, it was only a matter of time until Painted Ladies debuted. Someday I hope to get a color booklet out of these gingerbread gems, but for now, I wanted a place to collect the photos I have been making for a few years. I know there are some old house fans here too, so I hope you will enjoy this site as much as I enjoy writing it.

www.fallriverpaintedladies.wordpress.com
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for all the pictures!
I don't know where you find the time!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Things are quiet at the house this time of year- and I am an admitted insomniac with 3 websites and 8 blogs. But, I guess there are WORSE vices! :peanut19:
Kat

Post by Kat »

What are your other Blogs? :cat:
Kat

Post by Kat »

OMG! Have you ever heard of Ambien? :cat:
I've looked at a few of your slide shows today- very nice!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Hmm- I see what you are saying. Well, I bought the postcard last year on ebay for 5 dollars and it has "Fall River High School" on the bottom of it. I also checked the Keeley Library photo archive and it looks like the same one there. So I am sure this is the correct building. I am at a loss to explain the angle and terrain though. . .
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:,,
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I wonder if the photographer reversed the negative? A lot of these cards were actually printed in England or Germany. Now I need to go lie down in the middle of June Street and "get the lay of the land"! :peanut19:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Kat

Post by Kat »

Here is the link to School pictures from Keeley Library:
http://www.sailsinc.org/Durfee/fallriver.htm#schools

And here is a link to Phillips History of Fall River, vol. 3 as download.
Go to almost the very bottom of the page to find Vol. 3.
http://www.sailsinc.org/Durfee/fulltext.htm
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Now- if all mysteries were as easily solved.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

For those who love the Painted Ladies, last Saturday was a beautiful sunny day for photography so I took a drive up and down Highland Avenue from south to north and snapped some of the gorgeous homes on both sides of the street. The one at the top of the post is now owned by the Catholic Diocese and is a beautiful mansard roof Victorian. Others on the north end of the avenue date a little later on. Leaving town, the Central Congregational Church was positively gleaming in the sunlight. This church and the Academy Bldg in the Borden Block have got to be my favorite non-residential buildings in the city. Both were designed by Hartwell and Swasey. Hartwell Street, which is just around the corner from Second Street must have been named for this architect who did so many designs for the city. Of course the Academy Building has become residential, but originally housed a theatre. It is a stone's throw from #92 Second St. The large brick building with Adams House sign on the lawn is the former Old Folks Home which Andrew Borden was planning to include in his will as a benefactor. It is now a very high-end nursing home. There are so many photos, I had to make a slide presentation which, if this sort of thing is of interest, can be seen at the Fall River Painted Lady link below.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Thank you for sharing that, Shelley---it was delightful! Felt as tho I was taking a bike ride & feasting my eyes! :grin:
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I was practically taking a bike ride while making it! I think the slide.com formatting is perfect for these sorts of projects.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

With snow coming tomorow, it seemed like a good time to put up the Painted Ladies of Winter Street tonight. I just found this street by accident while hunting up the corner of Linden and Locust where Officer Medley (Chief of Police by then in 1917)was mortally wounded in a car accident. I turned onto Winter Street and was delighted to find a nearly pristine street full of Victorian homes, with only rare modern encroachment here and there on the facades- amazing to see!
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Thanks again, Shelley---you give us so many goodies!

The fire escapes are a shame, tho I suppose that's the price paid when the houses become apts, & if the houses hadn't become apts, chances are they would not have survived at all.

One thing I really like about Fall River is that so many houses have been pretty much preserved in their original state (at least on the exterior). In my town so many that survived have been extensively altered.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893