Maplecroft Exteriors

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

It's amazing in a way, that lizzie living such a protected and cared for life, once she got out on her own, made some great decisions concerning what she wanted, and how she wanted it. Of course with her money all she had to do was point and tell and someone did it, but still........
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

If you think about it though, Emma did the very same thing, beginning with her exodous from French Street in 1905. As "courageous acts" go, that one on Emma's part gets my vote, hands down!
I staid the night for shelter at a farm behind the mountains, with a mother and son - two "old-believers." They did all the talking...
- Robert Frost
Kat

Post by Kat »

Shelley, is that your close up from your earlier Belmont view, or a new one?
That's a good photo!
Thanks!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

That is a photo I took back in 1994 of the chimney.
Kat

Post by Kat »

That is a rare view. Thanks again!
Societygirl1892

Maplecroft Exteriors

Post by Societygirl1892 »

Shelley,
That picture taken from the back of Maplecroft on Belmont Street, is that the same tract of land willed to Ernest Terry by Lizzie do you know?
Pam
Pammie :-)
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I am guessing that back window by the fireplace is in the bathroom and that Lizzie's bedroom was more to the side as that seems like a small window to put in a bedroom for a view of the back yard.

That's what we need, a floorplan of Maplecroft like we have of the b and b. I studied the floorplans of 92 second street for so long before I ever went there, that when I did go there, it felt like I had been there before.
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The lot willed to Ernest Terry was on French Street, just on the diagonal from Maplecroft . Len says the one behind Maplecroft, on Belmont (which was at one point considered for a driveway access to the house) was given to Ernest Terry, Jr. , who was, by the way, put through medical school through the generosity of Lizzie. The young Dr. Terry was subsequently murdered down in Kentucky.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Saturday Nov. 18th was a perfect clear day for photography with two days of 60 degree weather, everyone was out and about. This is taken from Belmont St. about 11:30. With Jeff riding shotgun, we passed down French Street in time to see Mr. Dube hacking away at the great fallen maple tree with a small hatchet- we longed to take a photo of this moment, but thought better of it. So here are a few of the house from the rear instead! :smile: A single beam of sunlight broke through on the rose just as the lens clicked open.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The dappled light breaking through in patches through the bare trees make a golden aura around the porch and summer bedroom. Her private bath is the second (small) window to the right of the great stone chimney.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The little trap door for the ice man or deliveries is still on the porch and a script letter "B" is etched in the back porch glass door.

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

In back of the Hooper House near their old carriage shed with view of Maplecroft in the background.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

william

Post by william »

Hi Shelley,

Some time ago I was in touch with young Dube - he told me the the glass door with the etched letter "B" had been destroyed by vandals.

Is this another door or did they have the old one repaired?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh! How sad. I do hope they got a photo of it- photographic documentation is SO important! I do not know if this is a new door or if they just had the old one repaired. I hope the brass "B" is still in the front entry door. The middle bar was removed , making it a "D" before the Dubes got there.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Would that be on Underwood Street? I was hoping to catch sight of you on my jaunts down French Michael! I saw Mr. Dube hacking at that fallen tree with a hatchet last weekend- but I think he will need a chainsaw-the trunk is huge!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh - I noticed that too Michael- some time ago. It was in Lizzie's library. No, I do not know what happened to it but would love to know. I did photograph it back in 1992 and it was lovely, full off amber-colored glass. I also wondered what happened to her floral hand-painted bathtub which used to be in the garage, the Tiffany glass sconces in the diningroom and I heard the scary rumor that one of the great old mantels is gone now. I hope this is not true. I was hoping Mike Dube would post again and tell us. One hates to be nosey and prying by calling Mr. Dube. Maybe after the vandals got the door he was concerned about the stained glass window.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Maybe you might ask him if you see him in the yard? I hope it did not get broken. I see his side fence was broken from that tree falling. Although that fence might be from the Swift house.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Kat

Post by Kat »

Our gradfather lost it all in the crash and he died and his wife moved and opened a boarding house- like Mrs. Churchill almost- where Mrs. Churchill was daughter of the Mayor but when he died the women-folk had to find ways to make-do.

That Allen house was not bought for much more than the Second Street house, and if one compares that 1872 price with the 1893 price of Maplecroft- I'd say Second Street cost more!

In the papers, Second Street was often referred to as the mansion. Back then I think it was a term for a bigger than normal house, single family probably. Not like what I think of today- which is Newport! :smile:

If you are cautioning people to not think in terms of mansion when talking about Maplecroft, I agree! :smile:
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Shelley @ Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:27 am wrote:The lot willed to Ernest Terry was on French Street, just on the diagonal from Maplecroft . Len says the one behind Maplecroft, on Belmont (which was at one point considered for a driveway access to the house) was given to Ernest Terry, Jr. , who was, by the way, put through medical school through the generosity of Lizzie. The young Dr. Terry was subsequently murdered down in Kentucky.
I had missed this thread previously. Thanks Shelly for sending me here!

Do you know details on the murder of young Dr. Terry? That's very intreguing.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yes, it is a tragic story indeed. Dr. Terry was a company doctor and had given an employee a truthful fitness report which resulted in the man losing a promotion. This man entered Dr. Terry's office and shot him with what I believe was a shotgun. Dr. Terry was well-loved, and a graduate of BMC Durfee- and a handsome boy in his yearbook photo. His left a family, including a son who was only 13 at the time. It was devastating. The family still has some lovely mementos from Maplecroft- but they are an extremely private family and do not wish to discuss it. They speak glowingly of Lizzie, and her kindness to the family. Aunt Grace is still alive and bought 5 copies of the Rebello book- proclaiming it "very fine". They like the cartoon of Mr. Ernest driving Miss Lizzie in the old tin lizzy car.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

How awful---being shot dead for doing your job & telling the truth! How senseless too, since it didn't solve anything for the rotter who did it; just stupid revenge.

Thanks again, Shelley!
Lefty

Maplecroft

Post by Lefty »

Shelly,

I have to confess I just 'borrowed' one of your pictures of Maplecroft for my blog. I hope you don't mind and if you do please let me know and I'll remove it. One of your pictures shows what looks to be a freshly painted Maplecroft and I really didn't want to use a picture of the house in need of paint and fixing up. :grin:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh no-i don't mind. I have given all my photos to date for the "Lizzie folks" to use- my blog photos too. If you plan to use anything, I usually just like a very tiny photo credit somewhere underneath the photo- 8 pt. is fine. I never plan to write or publish a Lizzie book, so no point in hanging onto things for dear life.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

By the way- can we all see your blog? Or is it a private for friends only?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Thanks Shelley!

I've added the photo credit and no the blog is not private by any means.

It's just my thoughts and observations about some of the things that go on in and around Fall River. I do occasionally stray into other topics.

I've included the link in my signature (hopefully!). Others here have stumbled across it and I more than welcome you to visit!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Thanks for the link. I just had a look and it is really well-done. Wish I had known about it before. I wonder if anyone else here has a website or blog we can visit?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Gee,

These compliments have taken me aback!

Really thanks for the kind words, particularly your glowing words mbhenty!

I'm afraid I can't live up to the praise you've heaped upon me.

Honestly, this started out as a way to find out a little more about the whole "blogging" thing. I decided that I didn't want to blog about me or my personal experiences, not directly, so I instead chose to blog about Fall River, the area and its history. It allowed me to express view points that perhaps I couldn't otherwise. Too often I listen to the local am station and want to run to the phone to dispute a point and put in my two cents, or want to dash off a letter to the editor for the same reason. This allows me to express those views that my otherwise stay bottled up inside me. It allows to dig a little into the history of the city and express it with out boring to tears the people around me who may not share my interest.

It's a learning experience, early on I blogged about anything that was news worthy and found myself simply regurgitating the local paper. No fun at all. So instead I blog about those things that interest me enough or incite enough passion to bring me to the keyboard. Lately however I find making time to write something up to be fleeting and news worthy stuff does seem to have a shelf life and now I find myself missing the chance to comment on something I'd like.

In the last week I'm having a run on Lizzie Borden posts, but it really just happens that a recent visit to the house and Oak Grove tied in nicely with the blog for one post and I stumbled the the content for the other two posts.

Anyway I'm flattered you've enjoyed it, urge you to leave whatever comments you wish (I do police comments so they remain civil!)
Bob Gutowski

Post by Bob Gutowski »

Just wanted to tell you that, as we're only going to drive part of the way up to the Cape next Sunday, Jay secretly called Maplecroft, which is still listed as a B&B, to see if he could surprise me by getting a room for one night there.

The not-too-friendly Bill Dube told Jay he only rents out rooms to people who have lost their homes in tragedies like fires.

We thought about calling The House, but we're not going to do much more than crash for one night, so it seemed a trifle extravagant.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:,,
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Does anyone know about property values in the neighborhood? I've wondered if the price (I believe he last listed Maplecroft at about $750,000) he was asking was overly inflated because of the house's notoriety.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

I had wondered about that, because I had figured the house was in much need of repair.

I thought he was eager to get rid of it because he needs a smaller place, & then I next heard he planned to leave it to one of his kids.

Very disheartening.

Perhaps the next generation would offer some hope.

I would love to see Maplecroft become a kind of house museum and/or B&B. There aren't many open to the public in North America from that period and those that are generally fall into the grand mansion category. I think it would be important historically because turn-of-the-century was a time when more people than ever before were upwardly mobile & so there were a great many of these large houses. However, almost none of them have been kept "in period" (they're apartments or have been practically gutted & renovated over & over) & so one has to do a lot of research to know how people lived at that time. Maplecroft would be great because it also has the Lizzie angle.

Anyway, I can still dream...
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

Holy cow! Just for starters, why would anyone want their street to become commercialized? Makes you wonder what his reasoning for doing so, could be. Quite frankly, that doesn't bode well for maplecroft.........imho I guess it would now be too late to get up a petition? I just can't imagine every one living on that street not caring that a business would soon be bringing in alot of strangers, not to mention opening the doors for other business's.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

wow, you were right the first time, you shouldn't go down to his level, it doesn't become you......and there are too many of his ilk in the world as it is!! So, shake off the anger and bitterness and start that petiton, I just can't believe he has you all out manuvered and the war won!! I have to believe the good still out number the bad!!! So, get their signatures!!! So, glad the weather there is great, it helps to be able to get outside and exert some energy and rid yourself of all that bottled up frustration! Helps clear your head too!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

I've never met the man, so I can't comment on him.

However, re. ---"Everyone that has owned that place before him has had respect for it. For almost 100 years." I agree completely that this was the case. This Maplecroft picture from the 1970s:

http://lizzieandrewborden.com/Galleries ... 201974.jpg

It shows the house very close to how Lizzie had it & it was then owned by the people who eventually sold to the current owner. In fact, that lady had wanted to take the "Old Time Friends" fireplace mantel with her when they left, but she thought the better of it.

The reason we know so much about how Lizzie lived at Maplecroft is because the various owners have taken so much care in preserving it for posterity.

When a place has a special historical significance, (esp one that other generations have preserved) it does not completely belong to you, even if you are indeed the legal owner "for now". Destruction is easy; preservation is difficult. History is like the environment---we do not inherit it from our parents, we borrow it from our children. It is a very special honor to be a custodian of history, and there are many people who recognize that to be such a person is its own reward.

Unfortunately, someone who deliberately destroys a place like Maplecroft for their personal gain, or to childishly "prove a point", etc. will not be remembered as someone of honor, but as someone who destroyed something special.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

bobarth

Post by bobarth »

mbhenty- I am saddened to hear about the goings on with French Street. :evil: :evil: We just cannot let him totally ruin her house. There must be something we can do, somehow, some way??????

I found this on the net a few weeks ago, thought I would share. Cant vouch for accuracy as I am not that familar with the area.

http://fallriver.patriotproperties.com/ ... umber=6221
The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mohandas Gandhi
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I was relieved not to see the distracting bright blue flower boxes this season on the east side of the house- at least those are now in back. Great photo of the granite stepping stone-had not seen that in several years! I guess it is so heavy no one would try to steal it.

The case for Maplecroft is not unique. So often people who acquire these great old historical properties have money to restore and furnish them, but no appreciation for the historical value, or the knowledge and taste to furnish them correctly to period. There are plenty of online and library resources showing how to decorate and what pieces to choose, accessories, ornaments, artwork, window treatments etc., but still the owner's personal taste and notion of "antique" or fitting and appropriate to the architecture is way off base and often the owner does not understand this-thinking it looks fabulous and period.

Even with all good intentions, which I think at one point might have been the case at Maplecroft back in 1991- the interiors were very far from what was appropriate for decor if restoring the place to 1893 or turn of the century was the aim.

Yes, the house is full of antiques mixed with imported furnishings, some unusual and of merit, side by side with modern stuff. "A Man's Home is His Castle", I guess, -and in the end, one should have the freedom to live as one chooses. For purists, who want the house to reflect the time when Lizzie was in residence, well... they might be let down somewhat if they expect Art Nouveau throughout the house , or Arts and Crafts (either which would have been appropriate), or even 1920's style. It's hard to know if Lizzie kept up with the styles as time went on- she sure had the money to do it.

Whenever anyone wants a portrayal of Lizzie, they always ask for the leg o'mutton sleeves 1890's Lizzie. Hard to think of her in a cloche hat, shorter skirt, and trappings of the 1920's, -she, the house on 2nd street and Maplecroft all get locked into a mental time warp of 1890's for most of us.

As long as individuals with their individual tastes- or lack of taste, or lack of a sense of history, whatever you want to call it exist, privately-owned historic homes will be subjected to the care and furnishing of their owners. There are some houses in such a status on Rock St. where this has been a great success. Lucky house, I say to those folks who did the research and preservation and make the effort. The recent Christmas open house was a comforting reassurance that many people do care very much about preserving the heritage of their fine old homes on the Hill. Sadly, there is no way one can legally force someone to embrace the lofty aims of preservation unless they want to- and thus we and the grand old houses everywhere are at the whim and mercy of their owners.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »