Maplecroft Exteriors

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

Maplecroft Exteriors

Post by Shelley »

The following are taken awhile back, before the top front was repainted. Rebello's book says when the girls moved in the house was two-tone- verdigris and tan but it was painted "slate"- I have seen one newspaper reference to slate. This shows the stained glass at the top of the first staircase landing -which is lovely. The bumped out window to the left is Emma's room.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The house sitting high on the hill, front parlor going back to the first floor bay , summer bedroom showing over the back porch, second floor library central extension
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The faithful old maple tree for which Maplecroft is named still stands guard

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The second story triple window houses a convenient window seat and lace curtains through which Lizzie looked down to French Street unobserved.

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The central chimney
Kat

Post by Kat »

These are great! Thanks!
I didn't know that was a maple tree. We have always wondered why Lizzie chose the name Maplecroft. Were there or are there more Maples on the property?
(I don't know that I would recognize one). :smile:

I noticed when last there the very near street is named Maple, and thought maybe it was as simple as naming the house after the nearby street?
Kat

Post by Kat »

This is of course Not Maplecroft.
But it is our Greatgrandfather's house in Pennsylvania- not far from the Penn State area. I need to dig out a more current picture. This picture is only a *part* of the house. :smile:
It's an interesting looking place, and I like the fact this photo is old.

Earlier, 'Painted Ladies" were mentioned. Is that like the houses in San Fransisco?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Love all the Maplecroft pics, Shelley! Don't suppose you have or can post any interior pics? Those would be something to see!

Kat, your greatgrandfather's house is so cool, its a Queen Anne too. Do you know any history of the house? By any chance, is it still in the Koorey family?
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I do have some but promised Bob Dube I would not publish them-of course that was a long time ago. I will ask again. Fabulous old Victorian House above! I think the term "Painted Ladies" did originate in San Fransico and 2 books came out about them in the late 70's making the term now so popular for brightly -colored old Victorians with lots of gingerbread. Some of the colors used are really over the top- in some cases using 8 or more colors on all the details. Pastels popped up too- which are not actually true Victorian palette.

One thing was pretty consistent, using sky blue for the ceilings of porches to give a feeling of being under the sky. The authors of the Painted Ladies books have a nice website here http://www.paintedladies.com/
Fall River has some beauties and I drive up on the hill every weekend visiting my favorites. There is one for sale now on Rock St. I have my eye on!
Kat

Post by Kat »

OH! Cool! We saw a couple of blue painted porch ceilings in Newport! I didn't know that was the trend. It made them look like they were reflecting the ocean. I liked the effect, personally.
Well, I think you mentioned you *collect* "Painted Ladies?" Do you have pictures?

~~~
As for that house I posted, I did not know it was Queen Anne- thanks for the info.
It was in our mother's grandfather's family.
Believe it or not, the family story is that he invested in Florida *Swamp Land* and lost the rest of his money in the Depression. He died, the house was sold and his wife took over a boarding house for male students at Penn State. Oh the resourcefulness of the female sex!
(I'm sure Shell would agree!) :wink:

The end of the story is that the Florida land changed hands later and turned out to be in the area where Disney World was built.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Hopefully it wasn't among those Florida parcels that Disney picked up for less than $2 per acre! :lol:
I staid the night for shelter at a farm behind the mountains, with a mother and son - two "old-believers." They did all the talking...
- Robert Frost
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Getting back to the maple trees, yes there are more on the property. The big tree in the front has suffered either lightening strikes or disease over the years as you can see. Maples have very distinctive leaves( think Canadian flag) and are the first to turn in New England. Already our sugar maples are beginning to show autumnal color.

Naturally Oak Grove is chock full - of oaks! Oaks are so common here. I always thought Lizzie named her house because she saw something like this on her Grand Tour. Every humble shack and grand mansion in England seems to have a name!

When she bought Maplecroft, so I understand, she had the house next door demolished to make room for a nice carriage house and stable (later it became her garage) . The stone foundations from that house were made into the big granite wall all behind Maplecroft. She also was responsible for that magnificent stone chimney in back.
william

Post by william »

In July 2002 I corresponded with Len Rebello re. the date that "Maplecroft" was chiseled on the top riser of the steps leading to the house. His reply:

"Maplecroft was carved sometime after 1913. If you look at my book on page 285, you will see a photo that appeared in the Boston Herald in April, 1913. If you check the stairs in the photo you will see they are made of wood, with a wooden rail."

One of the books in Lizzie Borden's library was, "A Book of Descriptions" written by Esther Matson and published in 1914. In the foreword of this book the author poses a question: " Who has not at sometime wished for a word, or two, or perhaps merely a name to fit a particular place or occasion?" That's what the book is all about and it carries a listing of forty-five different categories. I discovered the following names in the book:

Storycroft
The Maples
Maple Place
Cedarcroft
Boxcroft

Rebello believed the name, "Maplecroft" was placed on the riser after 1913. The book in question was published in 1914. Realizing that Lizzie had a copy of this book, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to believe it may have influenced her decision in naming her home, "Maplecroft."
(The definition of "croft" is a tract of land, usually adjoining a house.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Well, that is a possibility of course. I also suspect though, that having maple trees on the property , and the large one in front had a lot to do with the choice. I would like to know when the current set of steps were put in and Maplecroft carved in those. Wood is always such a bad choice for exterior entry porch steps-it never lasts, termites, wear and tear. Naming a house always carries the cachet of being a person of means and social status. That sort of things is seen so much in Europe and the British Isles, and somewhat less in America unless you are from big old money or position. Teddy Roosevelt had his Sagamore HIll, Taft his Palametta up in Beverly, Mass, etc. I am sure this is one thing which irked the daylights out of Fall River people. It simply was not done there. Even now. Shows a flaunting and putting on airs.
Kat

Post by Kat »

It was my understanding *the house next door* was moved rather than demolished.

Rebello, 310:
"Lizzie purchased property around French Street; Mr. Kenney's house in 1897 which was removed from French
Street."...

Rebello, 501:
"I Remember," Fall River Herald News, July 31, 1992: 9L.

"If things did not go the way Lizzie wanted them, she would complain. Grandfather owned a small house/garage on her French Street lot which she wanted removed. An annoying letter was sent requesting the house be removed. It was moved to Hanover Street." Elizabeth Kenny (Kenney), 1985."

It sounds really reasonable that Lizbeth got the "croft" part from the book and the "Maple" part from the nearby street name and her own lot of maples. (I mean, Maple Street may have been named after the Maples around that area).

Were there pines around the area of Pine Street? :smile:
If there weren't, my idea of the street name influencing her may be flawed. :smile:
RayS

Post by RayS »

Does anyone here know who lived in Maplecroft in the 1950s?
This can be important to all of us - I'll tell after this is answered.
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.
RayS

Post by RayS »

william @ Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:58 am wrote:In July 2002 I corresponded with Len Rebello re. the date that "Maplecroft" was chiseled on the top riser of the steps leading to the house. His reply:

"Maplecroft was carved sometime after 1913. If you look at my book on page 285, you will see a photo that appeared in the Boston Herald in April, 1913. If you check the stairs in the photo you will see they are made of wood, with a wooden rail."
Rebello believed the name, "Maplecroft" was placed on the riser after 1913. The book in question was published in 1914. Realizing that Lizzie had a copy of this book, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to believe it may have influenced her decision in naming her home, "Maplecroft."
(The definition of "croft" is a tract of land, usually adjoining a house.
Brown says this name was disfavored by her neighbors, who didn't name their houses. Local custom? But a younger Lizzie may have decided to be more "fashionable". I suppose anything Lizzie did would be used against her.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Shelley said the same thing about naming houses, just a couple of posts ago.
I like Shell better than I like Arny.
Kat

Post by Kat »

What do I win if I say the Silvias?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

How about a quart of Maple syrup?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I think think the foundation stone from that house which was removed made up the new fence in back of Maplecroft. I have a photo of this somewhere.
RayS

Post by RayS »

Kat @ Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:21 pm wrote:What do I win if I say the Silvias?
This will be a surprise!
Is this the name of the spinsters who lived there circa 1955?
What did their father do?
I read they were the daughters of an important doctor (involved in the case?).
Kat

Post by Kat »

It was a family: Mr. & Mrs. Silvia and their son.
By 1980 they had lived there 33 years. They planned on moving to their summer house which they had converted to live there "year-round."
Mr. Silvia was a lawyer.

Why?

I want my maple syrup, not more questions.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

There are some carvings inside the house. In particular I remember Scottish thistles carved in the library fireplace with At Hame in My Ain Countrie, cloverleafs on the front bedroom mantel, the one with the "When my fires burn low" poem in it, and maple leaf motifs on some of the woodwork in the front entry. It is impossible to know if Lizzie had this all put in or maybe it was there already when she moved in. In any event, there's plenty of Maple going on all around so Maplecroft sure fit the bill. Maple syrup time here is in February!
RayS

Post by RayS »

Kat @ Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:57 pm wrote:It was a family: Mr. & Mrs. Silvia and their son.
By 1980 they had lived there 33 years. They planned on moving to their summer house which they had converted to live there "year-round."
Mr. Silvia was a lawyer.

Why?
I want my maple syrup, not more questions.
In one book these unnamed sisters were said to be daughters of a Physician who was a close friend of Seabury Bowen. Their Dad never told them anything, but did confide in their Mom. After he died, their Mom told them the "secret", which doesn't tell much to anyone.

Please forgive my answer, but your maple syrup is hidden in the trees about Maplecroft, and can be retrieved in the spring when the sap runs.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Sap, as a present? I guess there's a certain symmetry to that.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Sap! :shock: Oh no!! - 'Tis the liquid, sweet golden essence of the stately maple! Ambrosia of the Gods! :grin:
RayS

Post by RayS »

Angel @ Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:35 pm wrote:Sap, as a present? I guess there's a certain symmetry to that.
There is uncertainty in your statement. Are you talking about the donor, the recipient, or the commenter.
Thanks for your donation to this subject.
BTW, what books have you read and commented on?

Should we have a "review section" limited to discussion about published books? That could be useful for many.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Harry has reminded me of these spinster ladies who lived on the Hill. They talked to Agnes de Mille and her companion, Welch. These ladies did not live at Maplecroft, from what I understand.

In her book a dance of death (1968), page 103+, she writes:

We visited the home of two spinster ladies, the daughters of a prominent doctor. Their mother had gone to school with Lizzie, their father had been closely acquainted with Seabury Bowen and had known the family.

They themselves had seen Miss Lizzie often enough. They welcomed us graciously and told us everything they knew, but they stipulated that they must remain anonymous, and I was brought up sharp once more against the New England shrinking from publicity. Sixty-four years after, the mere mention of the trial caused the descendants of contemporaries to withdraw shuddering as though from a poisonous blast. The horror still blisters.

No wonder the police proceeded tentatively at the time. No wonder the jury was loath to draw unhappy conclusions.

Mr. Borden lived, as we have noted, very modestly, and at the foot of the hill. Our hostesses, although not necessarily much wealthier, lived quite otherwise.

Their house is on the heights in the best and most fashionable part of town. It is square, of granite, surmounted by a widow's walk and framed in a sloping lawn. The carriage house is as large as a modern cottage. Enormous slate flags lead across the lawn to broad steps. The front door is thick, of mahogany.

The owners were educated well for women of their generation and have traveled extensively. Neither of them married. They have spent the greater portion of their lives in those opulent and quiet rooms, caring for the furniture and for each other.

----

"Did your father have no opinion about what really happened that morning?" we asked our hostesses.
"He was away at the time of the trial. He was in Europe. "

"I know, but he was acquainted with all of them and a close friend of Seabury Bowen; they must have talked. Dr. Bowen must have indicated something."

"Father always refused to discuss the case with us, or let it be mentioned in his presence. Ever. But he told mother before he died that there was much more to it than anyone knew, that the truth "Was by no means known."*

"Did anyone ever suspect Bridget?" I asked.
"No, never. Why should anyone? What was there in it for her?"

" Was she never searched?"
"Not more than anyone else involved. Why should she kill?"

"Did your father never say anything further?"
"Never."

" Do you think he knew the facts?"
"Yes, we think he did. But he would not speak. The case had been tried and it could not be reopened---not at any rate with Lizzie as the accused. Dr. Bowen was
discretion itself. He never in any way violated Lizzie's confidence. Nor, of course, could her defense lawyer, Mr. Jennings."

*--This is the extent of that story about their father telling *whatever* to their mother. I don't know from where comes the tale told here that the mother passed on some kind of secret. It is not in this book.
Angel

Post by Angel »

[quote="RayS @ Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:29 pmThanks for your donation to this subject.

Should we have a "review section" limited to discussion about published books? That could be useful for many.[/quote]

Well, Ray, for one, I'm reading "When Strangling Isn't an Option" by Sandra Crowe, a book that I'm sure many on this forum would find useful. But that's a different topic.

As for you, I would strongly recommend "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.
RayS

Post by RayS »

Thanks Kat, I acknowledge a misquote in my previous posting. I guess I was interrupted while I was taking notes. That 'square granite house on the hill with a widow's walk' should be easy to spot (?). Then tracing the records would reveal the name of that physician.
Thanks again for the details. But don't overlook that important legend!
"I know, but he was acquainted with all of them and a close friend of Seabury Bowen; they must have talked. Dr. Bowen must have indicated something."

"Father always refused to discuss the case with us, or let it be mentioned in his presence. Ever. But he told mother before he died that there was much more to it than anyone knew, that the truth was by no means known."

"Did anyone ever suspect Bridget?" I asked.
"No, never. Why should anyone? What was there in it for her?"
I interpret that as an agreement with Brown's theory: an intruder did it and was shielded by Lizzie etc.
Does anyone have another explanation?
RayS

Post by RayS »

Angel @ Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:50 am wrote:
RayS @ Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:29 pm wrote: Thanks for your donation to this subject.

Should we have a "review section" limited to discussion about published books? That could be useful for many.
Well, Ray, for one, I'm reading "When Strangling Isn't an Option" by Sandra Crowe, a book that I'm sure many on this forum would find useful. But that's a different topic.

As for you, I would strongly recommend "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.
If the library or bookstore has records, you are guilty of premeditation.
I did read it many years ago, and found it quite full of phoniness. In my experience, any stranger who comes on like a long-lost friend is a phony or con man who is trying to set you up. Agree?
Confucius said "beware of well-dressed friendly strangers who try to sell you something". Still true today after 3,000 years?
Angel

Post by Angel »

eh?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Michael Martins knows who these ladies are I believe.
I also think Harry has figured it out.

Here again is a suspect list. We can pick anyone on here and spend a lot of time trying to prove or disporove them:

http://www.lizzieandrewborden.com/Crime ... tsList.htm
RayS

Post by RayS »

Kat @ Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:45 pm wrote:Michael Martins knows who these ladies are I believe.
I also think Harry has figured it out.

Here again is a suspect list. We can pick anyone on here and spend a lot of time trying to prove or disporove them:

http://www.lizzieandrewborden.com/Crime ... tsList.htm
If they are dead (after 50 years?) there should be no reason for not naming them. Unless there is something in FR society about this.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Maplecroft back porch and Lizzie bedroom taken from Belmont street.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Looking bare without the old tree in front
Kat

Post by Kat »

Actually I think it looks better. I don't know why they hung on to that old broken tree.

Time for renovations! Maybe he can claim insurance from the windstorm?

Do you know the guy who lives on Belmont Street? I wanted to take pictures from over there but he was out in the yard ignoring me so I didn't go into the yard.
Good shots.

Do you have auto-zoom? Can that pic of the back of Maplecroft become a close-up?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Nobody appeared to be home. I usually wear a churchlady outfit (with hat and gloves) , look as innocuous as possible- and trespass with impunity :shock: . I just tiptoed down the driveway, careful not to step on the lawn, and took a shot. Since there was not a NO TRESPASSING sign posted, I took a chance. There were also no Rottweilers with big teeth. Sometimes one just has to take a risk. After all, what is the worst that could happen- someone opens the door and says "Hey you- scram!!"- and of course I would with as much dignity as possible. :grin:
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

Shelley @ Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:22 am wrote:Nobody appeared to be home. I usually wear a churchlady outfit (with hat and gloves) , look as innocuous as possible- and trespass with impunity :shock: . I just tiptoed down the driveway, careful not to step on the lawn, and took a shot. Since there was not a NO TRESPASSING sign posted, I took a chance. There were also no Rottweilers with big teeth. Sometimes one just has to take a risk. After all, what is the worst that could happen- someone opens the door and says "Hey you- scram!!"- and of course I would with as much dignity as possible. :grin:
You are so funny, I can just see you sneaking around in all your Lizzie Clothing.

How does one get in Maplecroft? Is it still for sale?
The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mohandas Gandhi
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I have heard Mr. Dube plans to give it to his daughter. So, it may be off the market. His son, who used to post here, has a lovely family now in Swansea and Mr. Dube I believe wants to retire there to enjoy his grandbabies. He has from time to time opened his doors- there is no pattern to this however. Mostly, I think he is a bit weary of all the Lizzie-ites taking photos and knocking on his door. I can understand that. Once, about 7 years ago he invited me to tea and what a thrill it was to sit in the diningroom and admire the interiors. I have made many notes of the interiors but promised not to publish the photos as Mr. Dube requested. I was glad to see this weekend that the stained glass on the stairwell is in place. There are always rumors that bits of Maplecroft have been sold off such as the mantel, Tiffany sconces, etc. I do not think he minds exterior shots. It is, after all, someone's home, and I can understand a wish for some privacy. During the centenniel Michael gave a great tour of the first and second floor and garden which was memorable for so many. It was, as you know, a B&B for a time, but unlike Second Street, photos were not allowed.
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

YOU had tea at Lizzie's Maplecroft??? WOW

Do you know the realty company that he had Maplecroft listed with?
What do you suppose the daughter will do with the house?
How come he doesnt want any interior pictures posted?
Is he a big Lizzie Borden fan?
What are my odds of getting in there in April?

Mohandas Gandhi
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

He is selling privately I was told. No realtor. I am not sure why he does not want photos- maybe a security issue. I am not sure I would want the world making money off publishing photos of my home either. I think he has some interest in Lizzie, certainly- but I don't think I would use the word fan.The children had a certain fascination when they were teens. It is hard to say anyone could count on a visit to Maplecroft. This past summer a group of 4 young people were on the street from the B&B, and he invited them in- so one never knows. He is a busy person, but sometimes extends a friendly hand of hospitality.
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

I guess I can add Maplecroft to the list of things that me go "Hmmmm" and resign myself to taking pictures from the street.

Mohandas Gandhi
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Here is a photo I took in May 1991 when the red cedar shingles were being replaced, then later when it was all finished and painted. You can see a difference in the size of the shrubs! They were just pruned in the shingling photo. Happily that one had the processor's date on it so I am certain of the date.The house looked just grand for the centennial. I picked up one of the discarded shingles on the street and did some color analysis. I did find a grey color under several layers of paint!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I have always been told Lizzie put up this chimney on her addition which was made from dismantled bits of property she bought. It is a massive thing. The over the porch room is the bath and bedroom, which has a charming fireplace in it. Her porcelain painted tub was in the garage, and I never saw it, but have met people who have seen it, and the car turntable. You can see the angle of the fireplace by looking at the chimney. Her bed was on the right side of the room, the bath to the left of the chimney as you enter the room from the main hall.
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

mmmm-great pictures and Maplecroft sure cleans up nicely. Love the big rock chimney, that is a thing of beauty.

Mohandas Gandhi
RayS

Post by RayS »

I am surprised by the amount of land around the properties.
About 5 decades ago I visited relatives in Elmira NY and was impressed by the big yards in that part of town. Smaller homes of course.