A Walk Around Town and Farther Afield

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

GilC

Post by GilC »

For anyone having a cool $1.2 million burning a hole in their pockets: The old Pocasset Engine House located on Pleasant St. in the Flint Village section of the city, designed by Hartwell & Swazey who also designed the former Central Congregational Church and the Academy Building, is on the market.

The Story:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 9784&rfi=6

The Pocasset Engine House:

http://www.weichert.com/search/realesta ... 17001&pg=2

252 High Street:

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

One can only wonder what Alice Russell would say to this temporary bus station across the street from her old home.
terrie

Post by terrie »

thank you thank you thank you shelley for the great photos! I can't wait to see Fall River in person!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh you will enjoy taking your own great photos and making an album of your trip. The first time up here is very special.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Shelley @ Mon May 14, 2007 6:50 pm wrote:Oh you will enjoy taking your own great photos and making an album of your trip. The first time up here is very special.
I can vouch for that !

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Shelly, somewhere you posted about taking pictures of the house that John Morse visited his niece and nephew at on the mourning of the crime. I think you said a man came out of the house and you informed him what house it was and that he wasn't aware of that until you told him.

It makes me wonder about the people who own the Brownell house in Fairhaven. Do they know about the history related to their house.

Of course what about the other places? The Bertha Manchester house. The Whitehead house, Knowlton, Jennings, and Buck. Do the people who live in these houses today know who used to reside in them? Do the owners of the Kelly house realize that it was there on August 4 th 1892?
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

LeeAnn has been inside the Kelly house- and they do know about the case and also about the sad story of Mrs. Ladowick Borden before with the homicide/suicide there. The Brownell house residents, as far as I am aware- do not know "Emma Slept Here". There never seems to be anyone home when I go by. The house is in deplorable shape. I have had several long chats with the lady who owns the Whitehead house. She had a yardsale one day when LeeAnn and I were passing by and we enlightened her on many facts of which she was unaware- but very interested to learn. I am pretty sure the Knowlton digs in New Bedford, are well-known to the owners. I will check on Jennings and Buck on Friday.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Cemetery Jeff just could not resist stopping to "worship" at the site of the old Ferry Street House where Lizzie began one July day in 1860!
A big thank you to mbhenty for pointing this "shrine" out to us last Spring in greater detail.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Just a little west of Saint Anne's, on Middle Street facing Kennedy Park, are two lovely row houses reminiscent of the Crescent in Bath. England. These were especially pretty in the early Sunday light as church goers swarmed up the steps of Saint Anne's for Mass.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:,,
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »