Near miss at Maplecroft!!!

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Richard

Near miss at Maplecroft!!!

Post by Richard »

I was shocked to see that a tree had fallen on the front lawn during the storm. It was a horrible thought, the tree hitting the house and causing damage. With all due respect to Mr. Dube's privacy, here are some pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A book shall be an axe for the frozen sea within us -- Franz Kafka
Richard

Post by Richard »

Here's a broader view of the house with the felled tree.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

Oh that could have been bad!!
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I'm glad no one was killed! A woman not too far from me died when a tree fell through her house during a storm last year. One moment you are alive and the next instant it's "knock, knock." You never know. :sad:

Well, this may give the owner an opportunity to plant a new one, a new maple maybe. Lizzie would love that.

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
Richard

Post by Richard »

I wonder if that is a tree from Lizzie's day.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

We were all wondering that. It would have to be at least 79 years old now to have been there in 1927, 113 years old to have been planted when she moved in in 1893. The trunk was pretty thick. There are some vintage pix of Maplecroft to compare. There may also have been maples in the back yard.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Somewhere in my files there is a photo of Maplecroft that appeared in the June 1996 Yankee magazine. It shows an old car (don't know the year and make but definitely prior to 1927) parked in front. It also shows a tree in that location.

Right now I'm headed to bed but I'll try to post it tomorrow. Maybe Kat can find it in her files and post it.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Harry

Post by Harry »

Here's the photo of Maplecroft showing the tree.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yay Harry! That's it- oh, I do feel more sad now that it is gone. :cry:
Kat

Post by Kat »

I don't think that's the same tree. It seems to be the Swift's tree, or is the angle off for me?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

ImageImage

Check the fork or "crotch" of the tree and you will see it is identical. In the color photo of course that fork culminates in broken -off branches. The 2 angles are somewhat different, and over years many branches have been lost. The position of the trunk does look over further to the left in the old photo, but maybe it is a question of angle. It takes awhile for a tree to grow to that size, and seems unlikely that 2 trees would have been planted at one time so close together. Sadly, now I can't try for a duplicate angles as the old faithful maple is gone.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I'm looking at the base compared to the walkway in front of the Swift house to their front porch. That tree that fell is 1/2 a front lawn over towards Maplecroft.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I see. I put a magnifying glass on the old vintage photo and there appears to be another smaller tree to the right of the large one.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Good catch, Kat, that the large tree is not the one.

Good catch, Shelley, that there is a second tree. It is clearly visible in this enlarged portion of the photo and looks in the right position for the one that fell. In any case it looks like it was there in Lizzie's time. Alas, no more.

William in the past has noted the wooden stairs leading to the front door. I don't remember if we ever learned how they got there or were removed.

Kat

Post by Kat »

Harry, you have taught us to look closely at things like this and analyze what we see or don't see. I have you to thank for that kind of training and developing my powers of observation.
I mean- we have actually practiced it here!
It's also Fun!
Richard

Post by Richard »

I'm glad I braved the rain and the winds that day to get the photograph. I'm still tripping over how easily the tree could have smashed into the house.
Richard

Post by Richard »

This isn't anything you haven't seen before, but just thought I'd post it for completeness sake.

Click on the photo for higher resolution.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The rootball and deep hole of the victim of the storm. There is a good photo in Rebello of the trees- yes, this is the one second on the right which went down last weekend. This shows the exact alignment of the trunk in front of the house, near the corner.
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

aaahhhh, that's too bad, "to everything there is a season".........
Kat

Post by Kat »

How did it miss the house? :?:
Thank you for the picture.
Is it cleared away or are you guys hearing chain saws everywhere everday? That's familiar!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

It is still laying just as it fell as of Sunday noon. It is a miracle it did not collapse on the porch.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The Great Maple in repose, now chopped neatly into chunks. There was a wheelbarrow full of fireplace -sized logs by the front steps. I am wondering if the fireplace inside might be taking advantage of this "wind"fall from last October.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

I cannot believe that tree didn't hit either house. It could have gone either way. I want to thank all of you so much for posting these pictures. It is so interesting to see what going on over there. Is this house for sale? Someone mentioned it, but I'm sure you all would know for sure.
william

Post by william »

Was this the last maple tree growing on the property? If so it would be the last of the Mohicans, so to speak - and the reason Maplecroft originally received its title.