Borden Blocks

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

augusta

Borden Blocks

Post by augusta »

The term "block" has been confusing to some of us in the study of this case. (What hasn't been??)

I ran across this today in an old LBQ. It comes from the April, 2002 issue, page 5, "Lizbits" by Neilson Caplain:

"THE BORDEN BUILDINGS

"There are, or were, three edifices bearing the name Borden: The Borden Block, the A.J. Borden Building, and the Borden Mills Block. The latter, occupied by workers at the Richard Borden Cotton Mill, is no longer in existence. The Borden Block is on South Main Street, directly opposite the A. J. Borden Building.

"The Borden Block is sometimes called the Academy Building, after the theater located on its second floor. The structure is ornate modified Gothic erected in 1875 by Simeon Borden. Recent renovations have converted the building to apartments, but the facade has been faithfully preserved and the edifice is listed in the National Register.

"The A.J. Borden Building is located one block south of Pleasant Street, on the west side of South Main Street. It is now owned and occupied by the Aetna Insurance Company. In the renovations that took place the facade was supposed to have been preserved and the site included in the National Register. It is considered one of the oldest commercial building (sic) in the central business district."

(The AJ Borden Building is on the corner of Anawan and South Main.)

I think we've been thru this before, but I thought it was a good reminder. Back then, the word "block" also meant a big building that had other little shops in it. So, even tho the A.J. Borden Building was a "block", I guess when they refer to The Borden Block, the Academy Building area is meant.

The article quoted above goes on to tell about the offices and stores that were in Andrew's building. Good stuff! Hope y'all have access to it.
Kat

Post by Kat »

The question arises from where does this definition of "block" as a building with "other little shops in it" come and does it describe this time period?
Is it in an old dictionary or wha? :smile:

Did Andrew's building have a store?
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

In Vermont when someone owned the "Wolfe Block"
or whatever name it meant he owned the whole
street of buildings, including the precious corner!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

You don't need an old dictionary. Here's a modern American Heritage:

block. . . . 10. a. A rectangular section of a city or town bounded on each side by consecutive streets. b. A segment of a street bounded by successive cross streets and including its buildings and inhabitants. 11. A large building divided into separate units, such as apartments.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I guess my question was more about "shops", but here I see there was a shop(s).

Rebello, 56:

"In 1890-1892, several businesses and organizations were the first to occupy the new Andrew J. Borden Building. The first floor occupants at 41 South Main Street were Charles E. Macomber & Company

and next door at 37 South Main Street was Knox & Charlton Five and Ten Cent Store, Mr. Seymour H. Knox and Earle P. Charlton, proprietors.

The second floor (39 South Main) was occupied by the Fall River Christian Science Institute, Mr. Seabury T. Manley (uncle of Miss Alice M. Russell, friend of Lizzie Borden) and Stephen A. Chase,

Gay's Gallery of Art, Mrs. Edwin F. Gay, and Mr. Beno Brodkorb, music dealer and teacher.

The next year, the following tenants moved into the building: Mr. Charles C. Cook, Insurance and Real Estate (financial advisor for the Bordens),

Mr. Walter M. Barnes, tailor, Harry A. Clark & Sons, tailors,

Ellen 'Nellie' Butler, a dressmaker,

and Liza J. Saunders, dress cutting teacher. The third floor was occupied by the Woman's Christian Temperance Union (Lizzie Borden was a member), Fall River Literary and Commercial College, Joseph D. Thibodeau, Principal.
A two-story addition was constructed to the back of the structure in 1892. A building permit (#240) was issued on November 21, 1892, to the Estate of Andrew J. Borden, for a
40' x 50' addition for $3,400. The addition was demolished in 1981 when the Aetna Insurance Building was built. The building survived four fires: 1893, 1905, 1916, and 1928. Lizzie formed a partnership with her half interest in the building with Jacob Dondis, April 14, 1924."

--The Knox & Charlton place was a shop and maybe Macombers? And maybe the tailor and the dressmaker?
And the "Gallery of Art"?

The place is Travelers Insurance more recently.

What was in The Borden Block? Did that have shops?
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thanks, Fairhaven Guy. I also have this from "Yankee Talk - A Dictionary of New England Expressions", by Robert Hendrickson, c. 1996, Facts on File, Inc., NY, NY, page 25:

"block (1) A large building in which space for stores and offices is rented.
(2) A large building in which apartments are rented. (3) A pad or tablet of writing paper."

I don't think writers today refer to the AJ Borden building as The Borden Block. It would be very confusing. Actually it's still confusing, if one doesn't know that there's another Borden that built across the street. I know I didn't know this years ago when I would read about the case. I'm sure, tho, that I've read Andrew's building being referred to as The Borden Block. A confused modern-day writer? Or an old book?

Yes, the Borden Block - which was built by Nathaniel Borden's children - did have some shops. This comes from "Fall River - A Pictorial History" by Judith A. Boss, c. 1982, Donning Co./Publishers Norfolk/VA Beach, page 74:

"The Borden Block was built on South Main Street in 1875 and today is one of the most outstanding historic buildings in downtown Fall River. The Gothic-style commercial block was designed by Hartwell and Swazey of Boston and named in honor of Nathaniel B. Borden because the construction costs were met in part by money he had left to his three children. The Metacomet Bank, seen on the corner moved into the building in 1876. In addition to shops, banks, and offices, the Borden Block housed the famous Academy of Music.

"The block, usually referred to simply as the Academy building, was placed on the National Historic Registry in about 1970. The building has recently been renovated and now houses shops, offices, and apartments." I'll try to post this photo. It's a goodie.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Here is the photo that goes with the caption I just quoted from Judith Boss's book.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Here is a photo & caption from the following page of the Judith Boss book (page 75) regarding the Academy Building:

"The Academy of Music was officially opened on January 6, 1876, with a concert by Theodore Thomas. For years the academy, with its programs of concerts, live theater, and ballroom dancing, was the cultural center of Fall River. Fritz Kreisler, Joseph Jefferson, Ruth Chatterton, and Sarah Bernhardt are only a few of the many famous people who performed in the academy theater. After each performance horse cars would be at the front door of the theater ready to take patrons home to any part of the city.

"About 1928 the academy was turned into a movie theater. In 1980 the theater was converted to apartments."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

THanks for all the info Augusta!
The pictures are great!

I wonder what shops specifically were in the Borden Block.
I wonder about stuff like that- it's interesting.

The info that the children of Nat. Borden built the place is much appreciated because there was a concern as to which Borden did build the place...we had a couple of different names for that- so now that's explained.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Here is an interior picture of the Academy Theatre.
Thanks JOE!

pleaseclickonpic
Harry

Post by Harry »

Kat @ Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:16 pm wrote:I wonder what shops specifically were in the Borden Block.
I wonder about stuff like that- it's interesting.
There was Deane's, the store Lizzie liked to order things from. There was also Wilbur's store where Alice Russell worked as a bookkeeper at one one time. There were numerous shops all along South Main and the entrance to the theater.

In the photo Augusta posted you can see the sign for the Metacomet Bank.

That trade card I posted of Whiteheads shows the address as 18-20 South Main which would have made it part of the Borden Block. It must have moved later to Market Square where it is shown on the postcards.
augusta

Post by augusta »

I didn't know you were looking for the builder of the Borden Block. Glad I was able to provide an answer.

Yes, Kat - it is very interesting to know just what the shops were that were there. It's like getting all these bits of information about the characters - the city of Fall River in 1892 is so interesting, as is the Fall River Line, which I'm just starting to learn about.

Thanks for the info, Harry. I didn't know you were that much into shopping and stores. :wink:
augusta

Post by augusta »

I finally found a source that uses the words "Borden Block" to describe the AJ Borden Building.

From the Witness Statements, page 30 on the copy I own:

"Edith Francis, clerk for C.C. Cook makes the following statement:
'I happened to be looking out of the window of our office in Mr. Borden's Block on South Main Street Thursday morning, shortly after ten o'clock, and saw Mr. Borden going south on So. Main Street, walking on the East side of the street. He looked up at the building, but kept right on. He was alone at the time."

And also this on the same page:

"Charles C. Cook made the following statement: 'I am business manager for Mr. Andrew J. Borden, for the Borden Block. I did not see Mr. Borden Thursday. I have had charge of the Block almost since it was built.....'

I know I've read AJ's building referred to as the "Borden Block" elsewhere before. Maybe in Spiering.