Cellar Investigations

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

Cellar Investigations

Post by Shelley »

#1 Last week's postings really inspired me to take a closer look at the cellar, so Friday afternoon LeeAnn got a coleman lantern and a tape measure and we dutifully trotted into the cellar to have a snoop in places most people do not go. We climbed up the flue, got spiders and dirt in our noses and did a lot of exclaiming. We chipped at the floors, got stuck on nails, and pretty much got dirty but what a lot of fun. These are the photos so far- about 25 of them in all which may go onto another page. Some things really surprised me and I believe we made and confirmed a few discoveries.
The front cellar room (on Second Street side) with the one and only brick wall "liner" in the entire basement. There is a "dead space" of maybe 5-6 inches between it and the granite foundation. We thrust eager hands into the loose bricks but dust has filled up along the floor level. Lee Ann will vaccum this out and we hope something may be found- even if it is not the hatchet! :lol:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

This shows the west granite foundation wall which continues after that brick wall above stops and the 90 degree brick short wall which frames the entry door.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

View of the brick wall butting up to the back of the little room's southern wall (Kelly side)
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Looking into the same cellar room from about the position of the privy
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I wonder if one of those metal detector things would help find anything in that space behind the bricks ?

Great photos and play by play Shelley !

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Washroom chimney (with face)- this is a double flue design. I climbed up into this thing while balancing on the caldron and found this very ominous stuff dripping reddish brown :shock: out of a pipe which is built into the upper left side of the chimney stack.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

We wondered if this went up to the roof to collect rainwater? It sure gave us a shock!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

This may well be the original paint of the exterior- it is olive drab and is found on the ceiling of the basement.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Going behind the cauldron into the first cellar room, there is a loose brick which I am shooting the shot through into the old laundry room. This is a recess to the left of the cauldron chimney, 41 inches deep where the Kieran diagram shows shelves. It is behind the water heaters.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Washroom back door which goes up into the back yard- the hardware and door look original. You'd never find planks that wide today.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The door into the wash room- which must have been wide open for Lizzie and Emma to have been seen on Thursday night- this appears original as well.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The front side of the fruit cellar -to the left of the stairs coming down- note the extra wide planks- also original.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The other side of this wall under the stairs
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Interesting use of vertical planking going up the stairs to the kitchen
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

We chipped at the washroom floor through the concrete and it appears there is brick underneath by the chimney- a bigger chunk needs to be chipped out for anything conclusive about the rest of the floor. Now, time to go into the first cellar behind the washroom. This is the open flue there
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The floor is clearly earth- as Mullaly said.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Climbing up into this space, we were stunned to find a shelf which passed right through
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

And remnants of another plank on the left
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

You can peek through the bricks into the washroom flue
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Some missing bricks between the washroom and the first cellar. This is the washroom side, behind the water heater. Imagine the shelf in this niche.Image
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Brick pad under the furnace
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The furnace hooks into that west chimney here
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Back wall ripped out of Lizzie's privy, you can see the traces in the ceiling.
with old nails still in place but bent
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Privy window - I wonder if that latch hook dangling there was a flap to close for privacy? Oh, Kat- I did not forget to check the front entry radiator for you. It is much further south and west of the old chimney base, you can see the pipe downstairs that goes up to it in the hall.
Kat

Post by Kat »

These are some really good shots. Thanks! I especially liked the one showing the space under the stairs and the one of the *dripping-looking* hole.
I had seen that *shelf* (board) up inside the middle cellar niche in that area behind the laundry room (what you call the open flue)- but never saw how far it went or where it went, and of course never saw it so closeup.

I also see why you called that brick wall in the front cellar a *false wall.* I thought you meant the interior wall- I see you were describing the outer west wall on the south side.

The lighting you are using is amazing. I've never seen the place so bright!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Does Lee-ann/you subscribe to the theory of Tom Lange et all where they-and/or-producer of that video opined that the sitting room boards of the floor under the couch were flipped sometime after the murders in a renovation so the bloodstained surface now is the ceiling face into the middle cellar? Did you see any signs of that?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The ceiling above the sofa looks just like the rest of the ceiling. Impossible to see any difference-at least with the naked eye. The Luminol they used only phosphoresed under black light. I would think that flipping any boards would be quite an undertaking-they are long runs. With the floor carpeted wall to wall, I think any bloodstains would have been covered if they still survived a good scrubbing. I wondered how they repaired the square of carpet that was cut out- or was the whole room recarpeted? And on another topic- I would love to get some theories about that oozing pipe in the chimney on the previous page. We know there is a water-gathering cistern in Bridget's closet. Does this hook into this chimney pipe? Curious thing. Or somehow, is this how the cauldron for washing was filled- and did the pipe run over to the washroom sink somehow?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Are those sitting room floor boards running east and west, or north and south?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

East to West.