Buffinton-Churchill

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

Buffinton-Churchill

Post by Kat »

There was a long post around here somewhere :smile: that asked if Adelaide Churchill's father had been Mayor.
Since I can't find it right now - it was during my temp. absence- I thought I would put this here:
It's a copy-paste of myself about the subject from earlier.
Just FYI.

"Kat

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject:"  
------------------------------------------------------------------------
See Phillips History of Fall River, F.III, pg, xv, for James Buffington and 45-47 & 66 for Edward P. Buffinton.

Edward, Adelaide Churchill's father was the 2nd mayor of Fall River, after James Buffington.
(James was Mayor May 6, 1854, re-elected in 1855, and resigned before completing his second term to go to Congress.. In 1854 during his first term, Edward was an Alderman).

Edward was variously mayor several times, it seems, as it was only a yearly office.
Adelaide's house was called The Mayor's House because her father had been mayor.

Phillips says, in a footnote (p66) that Edward was dubbed "Butcher Buffinton" to distinguish him from other Buffintons.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

So, it looks to me that Mrs. Churchill's house, the one next to Lizzie's was called "The Mayor's House?" Am I reading that right? Thank you for the insight, Kat. This murder case has a lot of twists and turns to it.

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973