Hidden Beauty -Treasures of the City

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

Hidden Beauty -Treasures of the City

Post by Shelley »

Most people driving down the main streets of Fall River would say that things look a bit down at the heel in the commercial section and mill zone, and the Painted Ladies on the Hill could use a touch-up. Still, to the careful observer, there are little nuggets of breath-taking splendor from yesteryear to be found and appreciated. Growing up in farm country and living in a state forest now, Fall River is my adopted "city" since 1972 when the mills were just drawing their last gasp. It is a city of wide diversity where the Past is never really too far away. These amazing stone corbels on the old Academy building at the corner of S. Main and Sullivan have withstood the ravages of time . Yesterday, for the first time, I stopped to really admire the craftmanship -when buildings were built to last, and a man's work was his pride.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Nance O'Neil passed beneath the stone violin and harp at least twice when she played the Academy.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

A trumpet and what I think may be a flugelhorn with a most amazing roll of sheet music where you can actually read the notes- I should have noticed what the melody was!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The magnificent wooden entry door to the old lobby with carved Corinthian columns. Picture Lizzie dressed in her best, going to see a play.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

One of the sweetest stories to me is the dear dentist from San Franciso who, when visiting the city in 1833 was appalled at the number of pubs and taverns. He gave the city this magnifient cool water fountain so the citizens and thirsty animals could drink pure water instead. This touching tribute was actually thrown in the dump back in the 1970's and rescued by Florence Brigham and the FRHS. It is now on South Main Street near the Granite Block.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

A front view