Associated Addresses Still Standing

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

Associated Addresses Still Standing

Post by Shelley »

The House on Second Street is deserving of its own thread as well as Maplecroft- but what else is still standing from the Trial of the Century in the city for visitors to see? Here is #4 Weybosset, a little over a mile from Second Street. The houses are renumbered now so it is #24. The street has run down as you can see just a bit, -and these are 2-families still. A gentleman came out of #26, and looked curious at us shooting the photo. I told him what happened at "#4" back in 1892 and how grateful Uncle John was for the alibi of this old house. The man was quiet for a long time, and I thought maybe he did not speak English. Then, his eyes brightened and he exclaimed, "Why, I 've lived in Fall River all my life and never knew that one!"- he seemed delighted and vowed he would spread the news to the neighbors. Is that Uncle John walking up to the door now? :smile:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Looking North on Weybosset towards Pleasant St. The Emery house on the right at the top of the street.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Luck was with us on the jaunt to Pine Street to see what was left of the Holmes house where Lizzie passed her first free night after leaving the New Bedford Courthouse. Once again, a man came out just as I was shooting the photo. Since he was a handsome young man, I went to chat him up. He lives on the third floor, knew nothing about the house but was delighted to hear of the Lizzie connection. The house is now 6 apartments and sadly is much modernized inside. The steps are granite and the porch overhang is still boasting a little Victorian gingerbread. You must go up High Street, then take a left on Pine- second house on the left, as Pine is one way going west.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

That is the Church of the Ascension on Rock in the background, which is very close to the Central Congregational. Rev. Cleveland who was rector of Ascension did Lizzie's funeral service. You can see how close the Holmes lived to the Central.
Kat

Post by Kat »

How did you ascertain that that was #4 Weybosset Street?
:?:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I called Len while on the trail- in fact he was pestered most of the day from my cellphone so I would not make an error. He had looked it all up on old city maps for his book years ago. Actually, his book was propped up on the stick shift most of the day. It's an awfully heavy tome to carry up and down the street! :lol:
RayS

Post by RayS »

Shelley has brought new color to this site!
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

I like those potos. I always like to walk throu towns to see the historical sites.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.