Fall River Hotel circa 1877

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh, I would be the farmer's daughter, living in Tiverton growing the hay to stoke the horse. Ah well, it's much more fun to make imaginary forays into the Past isn't it? :grin:
RayS

Post by RayS »

Thanks, but I have neither the time nor interest to answer each 8 paragraphs. Wouldn't that make me argumentative?
Ha ha ha yourself Ray. You know, I now know who will take Andy Rooney's place when he croaks. I will take the time to respond, although I doubt you will have the courtesy to read it being "too long" a response.
Andy Rooney started as a newspaper reporter (before the war?) and made a name for himself by the end of the war. One book exposed corruption among the occupation forces. Long out of publication.

I guess we can agree to disagree. Having grown up in a 100 year old house, I would almost always prefer something newer. One guy said the best homes were built in the 1950s. Wet-wall construction, and wood that was properly aged and dried. I have no first hand experience myself.

There was a large hotel in town near the train station. Once autos became popular in the 1950s it started going downhill. No air conditioning. After it caught fire and burned, it was torn down and replace by an apartment house. Isn't that recycling of a sort?

I think that those who are against anything new are basicall incorrect. I know of another area with an old Federal style home dating to 1820. It was preserved as an office. But when a politically connected millionaire wanted to build an apartment complex, he got that area condemned and razed. Even a church with an active membership. Never underestimate the power of a dollar.

I also knew of a small hotel in another state. It was closed, then torn down brick by brick as the old bricks were worth quite a lot. Money talks.
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yep- that's where I got my image! (the secret's out now) :grin: Are you planning to bid?
Harry

Post by Harry »

That's a nice find. That was a nice station. Can't you just see Emma returning from Fairhaven!
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

There are also now two great cards on the Mellen House in the 3-8$ range. There seems to always be cards of the train station, Durfee High School, City Hall and the Central Congregational on ebay!
Kat

Post by Kat »

I had posted this link earlier. I would like to stress its use for those who are doing historical research. Our volumes of Phillips' History were very expensive but here you can download chapters for free. I had looked up the info in the index of Vol 3 of our copy and checked the pages in 2 volumes and then provided the link and page info for on-line:

"Try The Keeley Library.
They have Phillips History of Fall River there as a download (at the bottom). You can download these chapters from these volumes to find hotels and taverns in Fall River:

http://www.sailsinc.org/durfee/fulltext.htm
Vol. 1, Chaper VIII, pages 75+
Vol. 3 Chapter IV"

Here is an excerpt. I think this resource will be very useful to you in future, Richard.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.