Victorian Houses

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

william

Victorian Houses

Post by william »

Shelley,

How about an article for The Hatchet, depicting all of those wonderful photographs of Victorian homes that you have been showing on the forum?
Such an article, accompanied by a short histiory of the houses, would be very interesting.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

It might make a nice article, actually. It has possibilities :grin: MB could also expand his new thread on the houses and architecture which features more of the history of the houses , into an article. At this point, I have mostly collected photographs of the really beautiful or interesting details on the Hill houses, mills, and buildings around town, and not as much data about them individually. A pleasant prospect, though, for a long winter....
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

duplicate post
snokkums

Re: Victorian Houses

Post by snokkums »

william @ Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:10 pm wrote:Shelley,

How about an article for The Hatchet, depicting all of those wonderful photographs of Victorian homes that you have been showing on the forum?
Such an article, accompanied by a short histiory of the houses, would be very interesting.
I would love to see an article like that. I love to see old historical houses and the articles to go along with them. Kind of like the Whaley House in San Diego.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

I have often compared Maplecroft with other homes in Fall River. Here is another, again, much more beautiful and bigger than Maplecorft. Though architectural beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But this one is a beauty, though it needs a little work. It was in the hands of the Catholic Church for many years and occupied by 3 nuns. At least this was true the last time I worked there.

It is for sale for 325,000. Needs paint and the inside will need updating but wow, 8 bedrooms and 3.5 baths. And, the oak woodwork is beautiful. It sits on Rock Street, just a couple of houses up from the FRHS.

Built in 1889, it is known as the Byron Anthony House. Anthony owned a hardware shop along with some fellow named Trafton.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

What gorgeous woodwork! Thanks for posting that!
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, but no, thank you.

The inside of Brayton's home is much more impressive in person. Though the woodwork is amazing, the air is one of plainest and antiquity but it is an open canvas with tremendous potential.

Not only can the craftsmanship not be duplicated today, the wood itself, quarter sawn oak is difficult to clone.

In many respects it is one huge white elephant. Though 325,000 is very cheap, once someone invests some TLC it could approach 500,000 very easily. Sitll well worth it.

The photo below is of the front entrance from the inside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Ah, for $325,000...

(Well, plus $ for insurance, maintenance, taxes, utilities.....)
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, here is one house in which little is ever said.

This is the "LETS BOIL THEIR HEADS" house.........or at least what I call it.

It is for sale and was the house of the good doctor William A Dolan.

Folklore or truth (?) has it that Dr. Dolan boiled the Borden heads in the kitchen of this very property. Whether true or not, it makes for a good story.

The old Victorian is the best it has ever looked, at least since I remember. Of course, it looks nothing as it did when the doctor had it.

I remember this house always being in disrepair and still it is nothing to write home about. There's a large apartment building behind it which is part of the sale.

http://www.rightchoiceinrealestate.com/ ... n_url=back
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Below are a couple of shots I took from the roof of my house when I was up there tying myself to the chimney so I could paint the peak of the building.

I was shooting into the sun and didn't have a sun shade on the lens, thus the halos. Still cool.

One shot shows a portion of Maplecorft and French street, while the other shows the red Brayton House and the Lake House.