"Brownell House" Unfit for Habitation

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

FairhavenGuy

"Brownell House" Unfit for Habitation

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Well, for a few years now the front steps have been falling off 132 Green Street, Fairhaven, where Emma stayed in July-August 1892. Photos of it in its decaying condition have been posted here in the past.

Within the last week a notice was stuck on the front of the house. A friend who is nosier than I went up and read it. The house has been declared unfit for habitation. (Until last week, there WAS, in fact, a guy living there. He looked like the sort who would be living in a house unfit for habitation, too.)

If I have time, I'll check at Town Hall and see what's up.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Chris
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Thanks- none of this comes as a surprise. Sad it has come to such a state.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Uh-oh! That doesn't sound good.

Please keep us up to date on it, Chris.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for the update Christopher!
Will look forward to your investigative results!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

Well said!!!
Susan

Post by Susan »

Makes me wonder what kind of shape the interior is in? Its very sad, it appears the homeowner is on a fixed income and can't afford the repairs. How does the mailperson deal with those front steps to get to the mailbox?
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Not much new to report at this time.

Basically, here’s the background. The original Mr. B was about 95 years old when he died several years ago. The house at 132 Green St. was not really being well maintained at that time. Mr. B had two sons. Number One Son lives in a lovely house a block further south on the opposite side of Green. It was, however, Son Number Two, who got 132 Green. He has been let alone to live there.

Son Number Two, is unstable, reclusive and, according to one town official, a “hoarder.” The house is apparently now filled with junk from top to bottom in addition to being in structural disrepair. I have no idea whether or not there has been an issue of unpaid taxes, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there were. If the trash wasn't being emptied, I doubt the taxes were being paid, but maybe Number One Son was taking care of that.

When the building inspector finally declared the house unfit, Number One Son has had to step in. I hear the house is in such a state that he might have trouble getting permission to get in and clean the place out.

Ultimately, the plan seems to be to clean the place up, fix it a bit, and put it up for sale.

The person I talked to at Town Hall said that since the notice sign went up, there have be two or three inquiries a day about the house.

If I hear any more I’ll let you know.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for the news Christopher.
It's nice to see you back, as well.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Hi Kat, I might not post as often as I did in the past, but please remember that I'm always around to answer any questions with regard to Fairhaven and nearby areas. Anyone may email me through the forum.

mbhenty, I repect your opinion on personal freedoms, but in this case there is the issue of the health and safety of nearby neighbors to consider.

The houses in the older parts of town are quite close together. If there is a situation involving issues of sanitation, vermin, etc. or similar hazards to the wellbeing of others in the immediate area, I think some sort of official action should probably be taken.

We have to remember that individuals are also part of a larger society. And in our society, thank goodness, the rules are created by either a majority of our own votes or a majority vote by those we have elected to represent us in such matters.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

I noticed that Hooper house & the state it was in when I went up to Maplecroft. Such a shame. That was almost 6 yrs ago now, so it looks like things have just got worse.

It's very similar in style to the house where I live & was built around the same time.

I love the iron fence around the property & have always wondered why Maplecroft didn't have something similar; esp with Lizzie's privacy issues.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Lizzie had that imposing granite block wall across the back. I understand it was in large part made up of bits of the house which was knocked down next door.

The Hooper house has aluminum siding going up (slowly) on parts of the facade. It seems to be taking forever to get it in place and what worries us all is that it seems to be going right up over rotted clapboards! Work seems to have come to a grinding halt on the siding, as other parts are literally falling off. It is a fabulous home and I hope it is saved- and quickly!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

snokkums

Post by snokkums »

It's sad to see a house get to that point.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.