Fall River Questions

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Lefty

Fall River Questions

Post by Lefty »

I've looked around for references but have yet to find the answers, hopefully someone here can provide them.

1. in the 1800's - early 1900's there was a minor league baseball team that played in Fall River. Why I am trying to find out is where the team (usually going by the name Fall River Indians) played.

2. Louis McHenry Howe, the man who was so instrumental in the political lives of FDR and Eleanor Roosevelt, lived in Fall River and is buried at Oak Grove Cemetery. Howe lived on Locust Street in a multi-family home. I'm trying to find out if the house he lived in is still standing today and where it is.

If anyone has the answers to these questions, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance!
GilC

Post by GilC »

My understanding is that the Fall River Indians played at Bigberry Stadium which was located in the area where Phillip's History of Fall River describes as:

Bigberry. A granite ledge jutting into the Quequechan River near Sixteenth St. Erosion marks on the surface were believed by not a few to be Indian footprints . A windmill once stood near what is now the northeast corner of Pleasant and Fourteenth Streets.

Bigberry Stadium later became known as Fall River Stadium and is now the site of Britland Park.
william

Post by william »

Indian footprints in granite are unlikely, if not impossible.
Fossil imprints usually occur in sedimentary rock deposits.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Thanks for the help!
Kat

Post by Kat »

In the Fall River City Directory of 1926 the listing is:
Howe Louis (Grace H) h 636 Rock

I found the address and attach a photo of 636 Rock.
Whether this is what you want- I don't know. I can say I did not find Howe in the 1921 Directory.
BTW: It is listed as owned by PEOPLE INC. and the bldg. is classed "charity."
Hope this helps!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

That is very interesting!

With out divulging too much, I know someone who works at People Inc. amd although the building needs TLC to bring it back to its glory, it is what I would have expected for someone like Howe.

However, I've come across news stories that stated that Howe lived on Locust St. and have received an email showing me a Locust Street home.

Puzzling.

If Howe lived here why would he sell this home and move to an apartment on Locust Street?

Perhaps because his obligations to the President kept him away from Fall River? I know that he also had a summer home in Westport so perhaps he was willing to give up him home in the city. Just thoughts!
Kat

Post by Kat »

If you give the dates of the Howe's residence in Fall River I can look in the few Directories I have access to.
All my post did was show that the Howe's were at that 636 Rock address in 1926, but not named in the 1921 Directory at all.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Of course now I can't find the source, but I am just about positive that I read that Howe lived in an apartment on Locust St and an email I received shows what surely has always been a tenement home.

I believe that Howe lived on Locust Street by 1935-36, and of course he passed away in 1936. The home would be at 464 Locust Street.

Thanks for the help and for showing your interest!
Kat

Post by Kat »

In the City Directory of 1896 there shows Grace's father:
Hartley James W. physician 50 Cottage boards ditto

No "Howe" in the 1896 Directory.

We saw no entry in 1921 & in 1926 showed "Howe" as above

1946 Directory has :
Howe Grace Hartley wid Col. Louis McHenry postmaster PO h 141 Martha
also:
Howe Hartley E (Rosella S) clk r 141 Martha

Rebello says that the Howes "resided in several locations" in Fall River before the Col.'s death in 1936. (pg. 333)
Kat

Post by Kat »

If one goes to the LABVM/L website and click on "Resources," one can Word Search "Howe" and find an LBQ item:

Curry, Judith Paula. "Cousin Grace Harley Howe." Lizzie Borden Quarterly IV.1 (January 1997): 1, 16-17.
Biographical essay on Lizzie's cousin and friend in later life, Grace Hartley Howe. A photograph of Howe with her husband Louis McHenry Howe and Hartley Howe accompanies the text.

http://lizzieandrewborden.com/Resources ... BQAuth.htm

Maybe there is more info there.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »