Fall River's Great Theatres

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

Fall River's Great Theatres

Post by Shelley »

I tried to have a look around the Academy building recently but found nothing of its former glory inside. I did, stumble across this very nice photobucket however, containing some great shots of FR theatres. The Easton tea house, next door to the FRHS saved one of the Durfee chandeliers and it has been cleaned and hung in the foyer there.

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d21/m ... 0theaters/
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Oh wow, those are beautiful Shelley, thank you!

I wonder if Lizzie ever went to the theatre in Fall River (incl cinema) after 1893, or if she restricted such entertainment to travel.

Have you any idea which ones were around in Lizzie's day? I think it was the Academy where Nance performed.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yes, the Academy was there and Nance performed there twice I believe, once in the role of Magda. I should imagine Lizzie went often in Boston and maybe New York. The Durfee was ENORMOUS! How sad these are all gone now- I am not too sure about the Capitol. . . .
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Here's what I get on the Capitol

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/6981/
Richard

Post by Richard »

Shelley, when you took me to the Academy Building last month, I took the following picture from the lobby peering in through the security doors. This room is to the right of the elevators.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A book shall be an axe for the frozen sea within us -- Franz Kafka
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I wish we had taken a photo of that great front staircase which looked to be walnut and no doubt original. Maybe I can get a shot of it over the weekend. I am wondering what happened to all the fixtures from the Academy building. They must have been auctioned off.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Shelley, are you talking about the staircase on the inside of the north side of the Academy Building facing city hall? The one that winds down on both the east and west sides and had the elevator in the middle? If you are talking about the same staircase it's magnificent. I didn't know that they saved it when the converted the Academy over to senior housing. When I was a child going up and down that staircase made me feel like I was really something. :grin:
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Angel

Post by Angel »

Steve, you ARE really something.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Speaking of the Academy Building, I’m currently writing a THIRD Lizzie Borden Girl Detective Story called the Case of the Miniscule Monk. I’ve decided to use the Academy Building to my advantage because it looks like it opened in January of 1876 and my story takes place in the fall of 1875. I figured the building would have been in construction during that time, and Lizzie and her family, recently moved into 92 2nd St, would have witnessed the construction.

I’m thinking of having the Hitchcock-like chase scene that ends the piece be on the scaffolding and catwalks of the Academy Building construction site. Can anyone give me any advice as to where I would start researching this? Does anyone have any pictures of the building in construction, or a floor plan of the original structure, or dates on which construction started?

The last time I reached out for help was for my last story The Case of the Melancholy Scion and got excellent feed back about hotels in downtown Fall River in 1877. I appeal once more to my favorite Victorian Unsolved Crime community!

Richard
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Angel!!!!!!! Big hugs to you kiddo. you made my day!!!!!!!
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Harry

Post by Harry »

Richard @ Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:59 pm wrote:Speaking of the Academy Building, I’m currently writing a THIRD Lizzie Borden Girl Detective Story called the Case of the Miniscule Monk. I’ve decided to use the Academy Building to my advantage because it looks like it opened in January of 1876 and my story takes place in the fall of 1875. I figured the building would have been in construction during that time, and Lizzie and her family, recently moved into 92 2nd St, would have witnessed the construction.

I’m thinking of having the Hitchcock-like chase scene that ends the piece be on the scaffolding and catwalks of the Academy Building construction site. Can anyone give me any advice as to where I would start researching this? Does anyone have any pictures of the building in construction, or a floor plan of the original structure, or dates on which construction started?

The last time I reached out for help was for my last story The Case of the Melancholy Scion and got excellent feed back about hotels in downtown Fall River in 1877. I appeal once more to my favorite Victorian Unsolved Crime community!
Richard, this site may be of some interest to you:

http://tinyurl.com/26huq9
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Richard

Post by Richard »

Harry, this is EXACTLY what I was hoping to find in regard to the Academy Building. This is a great start for me! Thanks!
GilC

Post by GilC »

Here is a link for an Academy Building rental page which includes pictures of the rear courtyard, one of the hallways and the staircase that I think Shelley is talking about:

http://www.apartmentsinma.com/listings/ ... erty=13659
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yes- that's the one! Beautiful! - They don't make 'em like that anymore!
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

What a gorgeous building!
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893