French Street Properties

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Tina-Kate

French Street Properties

Post by Tina-Kate »

Looking over Rebello’s map of Lizzie’s land purchases on French St between Belmont & Underwood/Highland---on the north side (west to east) we have 5 lots: Swifts, Maplecroft, Kennys (later Liz’s garage), Henrys & the Hooper lot (Ref. Rebello pg 284).

However, the c. 1891 photo on pg 285 seems to state the Henry property as the Davenport house. Is this the same house/property?

Lizzie acquired the Henry house with Charles Cook as trustee in 1926 (Reb 560). Cook sold this property in 1928 without recording the sale to Lizzie’s estate (Reb 329). Grace Howe & Helen Leighton caught him out. The property was a bone of contention clear thru 1932. Chas Cook ultimately lost in both Probate Court & his Supreme Court appeal (way to go, Grace & Helen!)

I can’t find my Aug 2000 photos (misplaced somehow thru 3 subsequent moves) that show the existing houses on this stretch of French. Are there 4 houses standing there today or 5?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

:oops:

Oh how embarrassing---I've been under the impression you were 2 separate people: Michael, Hatchet contributor and M. B. Henty, disgruntled neighbor on French St. Now the :idea: has been lit, a lot more makes sense.

So, technically you have part of Lizzie's estate---very cool.

As for the south side---Lizzie had 2 other lots:

In 1905, she bought the lot that is directly south & roughly 1/2 way between the Swift lot & Maplecroft. This had been part of Mrs Lake's lot & I believe Lizzie had the intention of making it into a park (altho I can't recall where I got that source). Cook sold it in 1928 (Reb. 559).

In 1920, she purchased a part of the Baker lot (directly across from the Henry/Davenport house). Cook actually inherited this particular property via Lizzie's will.

Do these lots currently have houses on them? I'm not sure as I was not paying attention while I was there, I was on that side snapping pictures & ogling Maplecroft.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Thank you very much for all your insider info & photos!

I do understand the frustration. I live on one of the oldest streets in my town in the middle house of 3 Victorian mansions. There was a 4th, which was demolished in the 60s to create an ugly box of an 11 story apt bldg.

The house next door to me has been undergoing "renovations" all summer (noise level unbearable) to turn it into a travel agency. It had formerly been a salon/spa with the owners living upstairs. Well, what had been a "friendly" renovation seems to be turning into a horror.

They first cut down 2 110+ year old trees & then proceeded to tear out a lovely "secret garden" at the front of the house. I had assumed they wanted parking, but have merely replaced this little oasis (which could be viewed from my front window) into a pile of dirt with 2 concrete paths & 1/2 dozen boulders. I am mystified.

The front steps/porch was torn out...new ones going in. They painted the trims beige, which now makes the brick look dirty.

They seem to be tearing out the insides...anyway...my only comfort is I don't own the house where I live. Otherwise, I would be livid.

What upsets me most is this had been the only of the 3 houses to remain in largely in its original state. The other 2 were crudely divided into apts during the depression.

I do have to give my town credit that preservation has been getting better. Special tax breaks are given if one applies for & registers their home with the Heritage Preservation Society. However, they do continue to do things like recently tearing down a 1905 school to build a parking lot for the new YMCA...the old 1897 "Y" had been deemed too costly to renovate. The new "Y" has inadequate facilities (inferior to the old one) because the budget was so tight. The old 1897 "Y" was sold to a local doctor for "$1 plus considerations" & IS being renovated to a senior residence & health club facility.

Anyway, will not go on as this could be a 200 page book in no time flat.

Thanks again for the info, Michael.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I would tend to agree that French St. and much of the Highlands should be strictly residential, with very few exceptions.

B&B's seem a good fit, and Dr. and Lawyer offices might be okay, I'm not sure about much else. In general we should have the attitude of Bristol Rhode Island. You want to put a business in here you better convince us it is going to fit and LOOK like it belongs.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Well, I am both inclined toward historical preservation as well as being a Maplecroft addict who would like nothing better than to bring the place back & open it up for those who would appreciate it the most. It's a side hobby for me to think of ways & means & I actually have a pretty good plan. I have knowledge of ways to make it successful right from start...it's the ability to buy the place that stands in my way.

Of course, a neighborhood itself plays a crucial role in a buiding's future.

I am quite surprised to find commercial enterprises encroaching on the Hill area, as it seemed to me a good distance from downtown. Unfortunately, property these days is often accompanied by the word "investment".

The doctor with the Baker lot obviously is using it as an investment. Of course, he also probably holds a good deal of sway in the community. (Here we are so short of doctors we are almost at the point of romancing them & offering all kinds of perks) --actually, one of the oldest homes in town (just up the street from me) was built for a doctor to keep him in the community back in the 1840s.

I can understand your concern (esp because this business is prob the view you see out your front window), but unless downtown is really coming closer & closer to invading the Highlands, whatever business that goes in there is likely to be quite benign. Ideally, perhaps it will one day return to being a home again.
Kat

Post by Kat »

The Dr.'s office is probably there, TK, because the big Hospital is very close- kind of across the street and around the corner.
Why another kind of business there: I don't know the reason for that. :?:
Kat

Post by Kat »

We were graciously invited into the Davenport/Henry house by Michael and he reminded me that Lizbeth most probably had been all around in there. I think it was supposed to house her servants. Might that tidbit be in Rebello also?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Kat

Post by Kat »

Well what do you know! I didn't know that!
Hmmm...
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Not sure how the Lizzie housing her servants in separate quarters rumors got started. Mike Dube seemed to think it was true.

But why should she want to do so when there was plenty of room @ Maplecroft?

No, Rebello proved otherwise.

Unfortunately, I don't have my Rebello Bible here (kind of heavy to haul back & forth to work!). However, the census docs show Lizzie's servants lived with her, also the refs in her will state this.

Michael's house was purchased via Chas Cook early in 1926. Since Lizzie died in mid-1927---she was likely more apt to want her servants close at hand during her illness & not likely to be setting them up next door. Cook was also able to easily sell the house almost under the noses of Lizzie's heirs, so another reason I doubt any servants were living there.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I am trying to find in Rebello where he has shown that the Henry house was not used to house Lizbeth's servants. I've looked and looked and cannot find that.
But I also do not know where that info came from, so need some help here- :smile:
It's between Federal census, so that's not something I can check for source.
Kat

Post by Kat »

This source has been brought to my attention-
page 234 - Williams' Casebook:

"Lizzie maintained several servants, including a housekeeper, maids, and a chauffeur, all of whom lived at Maplecroft. Carriages, and later automobiles, were housed in a garage set back from the house. It, too, is a large, handsome building, panelled and heated. In a small neighboring house, Lizzie installed her dressmaker conveniently nearby."

I'm ready to inquire of MB because we had worked a little bit on the history of his home- and I think he has more info collected by now.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks Michael!
When I read that "small neighboring house" I thought yours was too big to be described thusly.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Thanks Kat. Rebello does not outright state that Lizzie bought property to house her servants---he does not even mention the rumors at all. I came to my conclusions thru Rebello's research in order to prove to myself the persistent rumors I kept hearing along those lines were not true.

I did some checking again last night. The last census info Rebello provides only goes up to 1920. However, he also provides the voters info & that also continues to show Lizzie always had at least 2 female servants living with her @ Maplecroft. I tried to find out where the Terry family was living at the time, but was unsuccessful.

I found a discrepancy in Rebello's inset on pg 329 where he states the Davenport house was purchased from Miss Henry in December of 1926. I double checked with his list of Lizzie's land transactions on pg 560 where he states the sale went thru on March 30, 1926. I'm inclined to trust his land transaction list over the little inset.

Lizzie's will was signed on Jan 30, 1926. In this she offers at least one of her servants "the contents of her room" if she wants them. I noted the Davenport house is not listed in her will, as it was purchased subsequently. Cook tried to use that to his advantage, but Grace & Helen caught him out.

I was inclined to think Lizzie would have used the Davenport house as a rental property. So, thank you Michael---you've confirmed that!

The house proved to be a bad investment for Lizzie's estate in the end because Lizzie died so soon after it was purchased. Cook ended up selling it for $2,000 less than he bought it for. Any money collected in rent before it was sold again probably would not have made up the difference.

Michael, the c. 1891 photo on pg 285 in Rebello also portrays your house & the Kenney house as looking very similar in size.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Watch it Michael, you're dating yourself. Hehehe. That's OK---my late grandmothers were Edwardians :shock:

That's funny you say that re similar designs & sizes. Precursors to modern cookie-cutter subdivisions. The house where I live is one of 4 all built c. 1878 with just minor variations in design, & different color brick & trim. They were all mansions on very small lots meant for the influx of downtown businessmen (bankers, etc) who came in during the Victorian boom years. Prior to that, a Dickensian metal works stood where the houses were built.

So, my place was cursed into downtown business life pretty much from the start.

I think Cook intended to make off with a bonus. He spent Lizzie's money to buy the Davenport house, then sold it & tried to keep the $$$ for himself. In that case, the loss wouldn't have made a difference to him. His explanation to the courts was that Lizzie had meant for him to have the house. However, seeing as she made no codicil to her will, he really had no claim to it.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Michael, if you have the time, inclination & think you would not get in dutch with your neighbors---could we see some pix of how Lizzie's land purchases look today? Perhaps also a comparison shot from the same angle as that c. 1891 picture in Rebello?

Also, roughly what era is the house (now "saloon") that sits on her portion of the Baker lot?

Thanks!
Kat

Post by Kat »

MB, are you saying that the Kenney house was bought for servants before it was moved (as the "small house"), rather than the Davenport/Henry house? Or neither?

As far as the Appendix in the back of Rebello, I've noticed after reading the text, so far the text has been more often right than the Appendix. Of course, in the case of this land transaction, it might be the other way around.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

A few months ago I mentioned my frustration re the renovations at the house next door to me. I was somewhat miffed this weekend to find the house featured in my favorite local history column. Miffed because I enjoy the column & yet, the article was so full of errors (historical & otherwise) I am now wondering how many errors the author makes on a regular basis.

Anyway, I am posting the photo from the paper (showing how the house looks now) and a color photo taken maybe 3 winters ago (the house in question is beige & brown on the left). The author in the article stated, “Until this past spring, Hammond Hall appeared derelict and hidden behind weeds, bushes, and trees.” This is absolutely NOT true. It was in fact an expensive Aveda salon/spa & reputedly one of “the” salons in town. Behind the fence in my color photo was a charming “secret garden” lovingly maintained by the owners. The place was completely sealed & with central air…anyway, FAR from “derelict”. The house where I live is much more apt to be called derelict. The writer oohs & aahs as if this was the greatest renovation in the history of the city. Egads.

Unfortunately, you can’t see very much of the new “garden” from the news photo, however it is just grass with beds of rocks surrounded by woodchips. Last week, I noticed no one had even bothered to take the price tags off the new little shrubs they put in. I mourn a very unique & European styled garden that is now just another common sight.

Thanks for letting me rant.

I wish I could find my Aug 2000 photo of the Hooper house to show this guy what “derelict” can really look like…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Oh yes, forgot to add...

So many people make the error of calling a renovation "a restoration".

Some of the things done on the inside of this house in question could be called restoration, but the overall work that was done this summer was in fact technically a renovation.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

I wonder if doing this changed the tax structure & might have meant more $$$$ for "City Hall"...usually a priority over keeping the character of an historic neighborhood...

:sad:
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Angel

Post by Angel »

Very nice, Michael!
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Wow, great work!

"How to Make a Victorian Look More Victorian"! :grin:
Harry

Post by Harry »

Looking GOOOOOD, Michael! Move over Maplecroft!

Can't wait to see it live.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Maybe Mr. Dube will get the renovation bug and paint Maplecroft! I would love to see the porches there re-opened.

I particularly like the front gable sunbursts on either side of the grillework, MB- perfect! Really dresses the Old Gal up. I always think of the gingerbread on these old houses as jewelry for a prim maiden auntie!
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Shelley @ Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:57 am wrote:Maybe Mr. Dube will get the renovation bug and paint Maplecroft! I would love to see the porches there re-opened.
Yes, that's what I always said I would do if some miracle happened & I ever owned Maplecroft. I love the look of the old front porch & don't like Lizzie's 1920s "sunroom".
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

You took the words right out of my mouth Shelley about the front gable sunbursts on either side of the grillework. AWESOME!!!!! You are doing a great job Michael. Reminds me of the gingerbreads on Martha's Vineyard.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

MB, I totally understand your frustration and why you want to fight. They should never ever put in a commerical business on that street. It's an old residential neighborhood & it should be kept that way. The houses have history and character and should be kept as original as possible. I know that to do this can cost much much money. But these jewels once gone can never be replaced. I wish Maplecroft had a loving owner who would really take care of it. When I took pictures of it a few years ago, all I could think of was----wouldn't it be nice if they did this or that. I feel if you buy one of these old homes you have a responsiblity to keep it at its best. My hometown had so much rich history and they just tore down so much, that you would never know that it was once a very prosperous & thriving community. Keep up the fight MB, I'm sure most of the people if not all of the people on the forum are behind you. I have to admit :oops: for a long time I thought you were two different people also. I've enjoyed so many of your articles in The Hatchet. And the posts are really neat when you go into the history of the city. It seems that Fall River was quite a town with so much opportunity.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

There is a great architectural salvage place in New Bedford- might be Cove Street. It has all sorts of Victorian harvested trims. Might be worth a shot.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

',,
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

It's about 5am, and I'm sitting here looking in my dictionary to find out what a foscia board & crown rake boards - what they are and how are they used. Then I read Shelley's post about the architectural salvage place. MB----I had NO IDEA how much the cost of reapairing these homes could run. To me it would be cost prohibitive. I apologize if I sounded pushy by saying that the houses should be kept looking original. You took on quite a challenge by doing alot of this work by yourself and should be given alot of credit for doing it. I still cannot imagine how to even go about fighting to keep a neighborhood as a residential area. You would think the town, knowing how much history they have would be more than happy to help. What do they say is the reason they want to change this to a commercial area? Also I was looking at the picture you posted, the roof looks like plank boards, do they even make these size boards anymore?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

MB- YES- the tub room is hilarious. I was on one of the weekend antique jaunts with Len and we happened to find this place by accident. Climbing up the stairs, all of a sudden we turned the corner and were confronted with over 400 tubs of all kinds, facing the same way clawfoots mostly. Then the rows and rows of SINKS. We laughed so hard tears were running. I had to sit on the floor holding my sides. It's worth the trip to New Bedford!
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Shelley, I love to poke around these sorts of places. By chance would you know the name, so I can find directions.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

"Architectural Salvage"...O my! Just hearing of that gives me a feeling of anticipation like being a kid in a candy store. Love those places! You never know what you might find. :grin:
Harry

Post by Harry »

MBhenty, from this mornings' Herald News:

http://www.heraldnews.com/news/x1838783040

They might want to add enforcing the zoning laws to the list.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »