UPDATE: 19 Green Street

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

FairhavenGuy

UPDATE: 19 Green Street

Post by FairhavenGuy »

This afternoon at Town Hall I saw Fairhaven's Health Agent and she gave me a bit of an update on the former Delano/Brownell house that students of the Borden case refer to as "19 Green Street."

Some of the background of this case has been covered in other thread, most recently in the "slide show" thread in the Privy.

The good news is that the competent brother is in court trying to get legal authority to take charge of the property. There are apparently two different parties interested in buying the property and fixing up the house.

A friend of mine also visited this week with a cousin of the family and heard that the brother who had been living in the house at the time it was condemned is now living elsewhere in the state.

The town officials following this situation seem to think that there will soon be some positive action regarding the Green Street house.

Chris
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thanks for the update, Chris, thats great news. Even if its someone who is not big on the Borden connection (though I hope they will be!) that will purchase the property, at least the house will not be lost to the wreckers ball. :grin:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

We could use another B&B in town. . .(hint, hint. . .)
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

That's excellent news! I'm always happy to here of a preservation effort.

Thanks for letting us know!
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Thanks, Chris. That is wonderful news.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thanks for the update, Fairhavenguy. It would be great even if we were just allowed to take photos all around the exterior of the house. I'm real glad it's not gonna be torn down.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Anything new happening at 19 Green?

What's the Delano relationship with the house?
What is a Picture, but the capture of a moment in time.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

19 Green Street (Actually 132 Green Street today) continues to be cleaned out and is supposed to go up for sale. I'm watching for details of that.

A friend of mine knows a relative of the current owner. Some scrapbooks of some sort, with lots of historical info, have been removed from the house and left with the relative. My friend will be looking at them later this week.

The Delano connection is that when Emma stayed there, the occupants of the house were Moses Howe Delano, a shipbuilder and the owner of the house; his wife Amanda (Eldredge) Delano; Rebecca (Delano) Brownell, the widowed sister of Moses; Helen Mar Brownell, the daughter of Rebecca.

Just down the street was the property of Warren Delano II, a distant relative and the grandfather of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. FDR, born in 1882, could very well have been at his grandfather's in the summer of '92. There are photos of him there two years later at the age of twelve.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh Christopher my mind is whirling with the names you put up there: Eldredge, Howe and of course the ubiquitous Brownells.

There is Jane Eldredge Baker (Gray) that was second wife to Oliver Gray, Abbie "Gray" Borden's father. Any relationship? Her first husband died at sea according to Rebello, pg. 23, as did Rebecca's I think you told me?
Any ties with Howe and Louis Howe, the 'kingmaker?'
And I just ran into a bunch of old Brownells today in census living near Morses in Rhode Island. (I need to double check that- it's pretty late.)
Jeesh!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Well, Kat, one thing to remember is that until after the American Revolution, this whole territory east of Fall River, including part of Tiverton, RI, and all of Westport, Dartmouth, New Bedford, Fairhaven and Acushnet, was one huge town: Dartmouth. Lots of the settlers to that area were related. The whole area was full of Akins, Eldredges, Morses, Hathaways, Bordens.

Most of the families tended to congregate in their own parts of town. More Delanos were clustered in Fairhaven. More Spooners in Acushnet. More Bordens toward Fall River. But there certainly was mixing and matching.

One of our most prominent men in Fairhaven when it was incorporated in 1812 was Capt. Samuel Borden. We had a number of Morses, including blacksmith Joseph Morse.

Some of these family names came from the Cape and Islands. Eldredge is one of those.

I haven't traced Howe. Maybe Cynthia has. She's done more genealogical research than I have.

And along the lines of Cynthia's research, our Edmund Anthony Jr., Fairhaven School Committeeman and publisher of the New Bedford Standard, is connected with Lizzie's David Anthony. . .
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks!
Oh yes- I had illustrated the "Anthony" from the Evening Standard from Gramma's information, including David, and the "Anthony" Banker. It's around here somewhere. I'll include it here.

Yes Cynthia also has good stuff!

When I look at census I look thru the surrounding pages to see the neighbors so I do recognize that congruance of surnames. But those Brownells are everywhere! Like "Smith." :smile:

So do you have an Eldredge connection available? That's a first for me. Especially the seafaring background.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.