Fairhaven

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

Fairhaven

Post by Shelley »

I have really been enjoying frequent trips to Fairhaven lately, sampling the world's best clam chowder at Margaret's and prowling the shores of Fort Phoenix. Yesterday there was quite a storm, and last night the wind howled up on the third floor of the Borden house. Cemetery Jeff and I stopped by Riverside Cemetery and caught this shot as the leaves were swirling. We are at peak foliage this week and the color is incredible.
ImageImage
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Fort Phoenix is a great place to get a good look at New Bedford across the water. Seagulls are pretty bold, but the scenery is breath-taking. No doubt Emma a enjoyed a stroll here, band concerts at the old pavilion, and other delights of being on the water in the summer.
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

The leaves are beautiful, ours aren't so pretty this year, not enough water. Thanks for sharing!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

It's nice seeing Shelley and Jeff in town every couple of weeks.

Riverside Cemetery, by the way, was created in 1850 by Warren Delano II, the grandfather of President FDR. Besides his maternal grandparents, all of the president's aunts, uncles and cousins are buried in the Delano section of the cemetery.
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Those are really great pictures of the foliage. The cemetery looks beautiful with its carpet of colored leaves.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

The foliage pictures are beautiful Shelley. Theres nothing like Autumn in New England. You made my mouth water for the clam chowder. I am really homesick now. :sad: You just seem right at home in cemetaries Jeff. Thats a hobby of mine also. I just love the history that can be found in old cemetaries. I have plots and plan on being buried in "Ever Green" cemetary in the town of Dartmouth, Ma. That is where my parents are buried. The Russels are buried there from Russel's Mills in Dartmouth along with a few civil war soldiers graves. I will be in good company. :smile:
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Chowder is a religious experience with me, Steve! I grew up down in Maryland with The Blue Channel Crab of course, - we "chum" with clams. But nobody does seafood better than this region where I find myself the past 35 years. Rhode Island has a clear broth chowder, with onions (fried in salt pork or bacon), potatoes and of course plenty of clam juice and de-bellied quahogs (hard shells). New England is most famous for the thick milk-based white chowder which is sometimes so thick you can stand a spoon in it. I am not particularly fond of that style. Manhattan-style features a red tomato-based broth which is okay. But Margaret's in Fairhaven has a wonderful broth all its own- neither clear nor white. I don't know how they do it but the bowl arrives chock full of tender clams, Red Bliss potatoes with skins on, onion, and tiny bits of bacon rind. The potatoes are cooked just right- not mushy and the broth is seasoned to perfection- not too salty. The broth is neither watery clear nor thick with cream or milk- in fact there is no whiteness to it- it is sort of opaque. I would kill for the recipe. The proper accompaniment is the small round common cracker or a "Pilot" cracker. On a cold day near the water- this IS a little slice of heaven on earth.

Jeff and I met in Oak Grove over a year ago. I am a rabid taphophile too and a member of Graven Images- a group which restores stones, volunteers to clean up cemeteries and has field trips to especially notable cemeteries in New England. As you might expect- this is our time of year!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Yes Steve, I am very comfortable walking around cemetaries and looking
for notable people and Shelley and I have found alot of notable people
from the Borden case in a couple of different cemetaries.

Chris- We found a big tomb in the back of Riverside and we believe
it's a Delano. There are other Delano grave surronding it. I wonder if that
tomb is FDR's grandparents ??
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Jeff,

The Delano section is on a rise in the center of a circular gravel road that runs off the south side of the cemetery.

On the top of the rise there are lots of Delano graves. The Warren Delano Tomb itself is in the eastern side of the hill, with a granite entrance designed about 1859 by architect Richard Morris Hunt. (He designed one of the Newport Masions--the Breakers?)

I'll see if I remember how to upload a photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks Chris. That tomb is something else.