Rock Street Painted Ladies

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

SteveS.

Rock Street Painted Ladies

Post by SteveS. »

Shelley, I was just looking over some back posts on your "Warps and Wefts" blog and came across a slide show you posted under Fall River Families. There is a photo there of a house I used to live in. You posted it with the title Rock Street lady in waiting. The house is on the corner of Rock and Walnut right across from the school administration building. That was my very first apartment living out on my own while I was going to college back in the late 70's early 80's. The house does seem like it is in bad disrepair. It was alot nicer when I lived there. I was so impressed by the main staircase when you walk in the front door. It is MASSIVE. Also the built in drawers and shelves. It boggled my mind to think that at one time it was a single family home since it then contained like 9 apartments. I was just wondering if you or mbhenty or anyone else on the forum could shed some light on the history of the place, who owned it originaly and such.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Sorry, I just realised I should have posted a link to it here for viewing convenience......so with Shelley's permision....
http://sanctaflora.wordpress.com/catego ... -families/
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:,,
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The house next door on the right looks very similar, but is in better condition. Both have "great bones". I would love to see the Lady In Waiting be rescued soon. The green house next door was for rent last time I looked. Wow, Steve- so you lived there! Do you recall anything special about the woodwork, newel post, etc?
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

I lived there for about 1 year while I was going to college. My apartment was on the second floor. It was almost 30 years ago so my memory is fading :-? but i still remember the impression it left on me that this was once a single family home. Thanx mbhenty for the info. So the house belonged to a Tripp family. I wonder what the husband did for a living? They where well off financialy I'm sure. I remember while I was living there that the house to the south caught fire while workers were restoring it. I hope you weren't involved in that mb? :shock: I don't recall the wood type or anything like that Shelley, I just remember a very wide, huge straight staircase and landings running on either side the length of the house on the second floor. It was just an amazing sight.
Kat

Post by Kat »

In the 1896 Directory there are Tripp(s) at 389 Rock.
Did 77 change to 389? Is it 389 now?
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Kat....when I lived there it was 389 Rock and I assume it is still the same today. It must have been 77 Rock back in the late 1800's???
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Thank you mbhenty for the information on the Tripps and for any other info you can dig up. It just fascinates me to know who lived in that house before i did.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I found a fair number of Tripps in Riverside Cemetery in Fairhaven and in Westport's Beech Grove. May be related to the Rock Street bunch.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Here are some photos from my August 2000 stroll up the Hill.

Can anyone identify some (any? all?) of these houses?

{I'm heading over the pond this evening, but will be snooping around on the Forum again probably by Sunday at the latest...I'll be with my parents & I don't think we'll be out & about very much.}
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The Remington House is the red one with the cream gingerbread, the Dana Brayton is the big 2 tone Green house- I think I have labelled them on my Rock Street Painted Ladies link. http://fallriverpaintedladies.wordpress ... lide-show/

and there are more on the Painted Ladies link below of this area.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Shelley, Bridget worked for a Remington family before coming to work for the Bordens.

Would that house be the one where Bridget worked or is it newer?
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Thanks Shelley...those are pretty much my 2 favs from these shots!
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Would that be the same Borden/Remington's from Borden and Remington down at the river end of Annawan St. ? Right across from the Lamport Warehouse.