Miller painting

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

Miller painting

Post by Harry »

From Bill Ulrich:

doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Wow Harry that's a neat painting!
(This is also a test message of sorts on the new forum :smile: )
Robert Harry

Post by Robert Harry »

I am just doing this to get the knack of this new system. :roll:
For a while I thought I'd be out of touch with the forum till I found my way around. This is getting high tech!! We do appreciate all your hard work, Stefani. This new format looks like it will be a lot of fun.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Harry, do you know where this picture came from? Wow, it's a [/u]great image. (I don't know how to underline yet, so if anything other than 'great' is underlined it was unintentional.)

I am very interested in Franklin Miller but can't find much about him. Anything any of y'all have on him to share would be much appreciated.

God, I get really involved in these Borden case characters. :shock: I find myself wanting to know more and more about them. Especially these ones where I can't find much - like Franklin Miller and Dr. Bowen.

I would think there would be a lot on Franklin Miller. But if there is, I haven't found it yet.[/u]

Wow - looks like I underlined everything! And I don't know how to stop it!
There - I tried something. Now maybe it'll be right. ... Oh well.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Bill U. found the painting on E-bay and Harry posted it. I had then e-mailed the seller and she sent me to a link to check out the earlier listing and the paintings worth.

http://www.fineartregistry.com

Well, that doesn't seem to work anymore.
It took me to the painting and it was worth $2,000 to $3,000 in 2002.
There was no info on the artist as bio.
Maybe he is in Phillip's book(s)? Or the FRHS reports?
I think he is just barely mentioned in V.V.?

I found it- what little there is:

General Information  
FAR ID: 00010
Title: Fall River Massachusetts
Description:

A beautiful oil painting on wafer-thin board by listed American artist, Franklin Harrison Miller. Signed at the lower right hand corner, F. Miller, and on the reverse, the following is written, “Painted by Franklin H. Miller, about 1889 of Fall River, Mass.” This piece was purchased at an estate sale, no provenance or other history is available.

The painting is certainly indicative of Miller’s style as he painted still lifes and landscapes. Franklin Miller is listed in Davenports Art Guide. Although this piece is quite small, measuring only 7” x 4”, it is truly one of his more desirable pieces, expertly painted using lovely shades, of brown, green, yellow, a burst of red and subtle blue for the sky. On the reverse, bottom right hand corner a Fine Art Registry Tag is applied referencing, “00010”. Black light inspection is negative for any repairs or other alterations. The piece is unframed and with the exception of slightly bumped corners, it is in excellent Condition.

Category: Art -> Paintings -> Antique Pre 1900
Appraised: No
Authenticity: No
Provenance: No
Estimated Value: $3000
Dimensions: 7 1/2" x 4" in

http://www.fineartregistry.com/cgi-bin/ ... detail=218
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thanks, Kat. I had found one of his paintings in an online gallery a while back. It was a gorgeous still life of flowers, and they were asking $1,800 for it. I mentioned it to Michael Martins and he said, "That's about what they go for."

It would be interesting to find out how many paintings he did.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Can you check Davenports Art Guide?
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thanks, Kat. Davenport's has very little biographical information. I don't have the book. If someone has it and can post what they have in it on Franklin Miller, that'd be great. I wouldn't expect it would have much other than what we already know, but you never know.