Hurricane Noel and Fall River

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Stefani

Hurricane Noel and Fall River

Post by Stefani »

News from Fall River and Lizzie's Maplecroft neighborhood.

Storm Noel takes down large tree branch in front of the John H. Pitman House on the corner of Belmont and French one house down from Maplecroft. In the background is the Elizabeth McWhirr House.

Below are two more shots, the red house in the back ground is the John Brayton House, the house with the little crowing bird that Lizzie complained about in a letter to Mr. Brayton.

photos by mb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Stefani

Post by Stefani »

mbhenty @ Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:05 pm wrote::smile:

Though the power in parts of Swansea and Fall River went out, I don't think the winds got much worse than that. Further down the coast, to Westport, Newport, New Bedford, the winds were much worse.
Do you know how many were without power? And what is it like to have big winds and rain from a hurricane and it be so cold outside? Here in Florida when we get that kind of weather, it is always really warm. The rain just adds to the muggy feeling.
Read Mondo Lizzie!

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Stefani

Post by Stefani »

mbhenty @ Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:19 pm wrote::smile:

Almost got my donut and coffee for free when the power went out in Swansea and the electronic register went out and the girl had no idea what it cost.
So without a cash register she didn't know the price. THAT's FUNNY! :lol:

I can't imagine freezing temps with a hurricane. You guys in New England have got wacky weather!

Today on the news, as I was trying to find out where the storm was, the CNN newslady said, "New England is used to it. It builds character!." I was shocked---can you imagine her saying it about Florida? "Southerners are used to hurricanes. It builds character." See what I mean? :roll:
Read Mondo Lizzie!

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Chatham got a good pounding. Westerly and Mystic got mostly rain, 30=40 mph winds and plenty of rain. We lost power for about 4 hours. Nothing to do but take a nap and wait for the electricity. Everything we needed to do required it, so we just built a fire in the fireplace and snoozed. Seemed a good excuse not to wash and iron! Inland CT got nearly nothing- a few sprinkles and a gust or two. There is talk of snow showers on Tuesday. :shock:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

They had kerosene lamps at the Borden house. Totally independent of anything except running out of kerosene.

I wonder if Lizzie & Emma moved into Maplecroft with gaslight or electricity. Could have been either one or both & I don't recall ever having read it anywhere.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893