Remedy?

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

augusta

Remedy?

Post by augusta »

While reading a doctor's testimony, someone mentioned "bismuth powders". I was just wondering what they were and what they were used for.
Harry

Post by Harry »

See this thread in the archive. More than you'll ever want to know. :grin:

http://www.lizzieandrewborden.com/Archi ... ismuth.htm
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Bismuth? Isn't that one of the active ingredients in the pink stuff?? :lol:
I staid the night for shelter at a farm behind the mountains, with a mother and son - two "old-believers." They did all the talking...
- Robert Frost
augusta

Post by augusta »

I think it's the capital of North Dakota. ...
Thanks much, Harry. I'll visit that link.
Dougoh, I don't know. I am thinking that it's an old fashioned word, perhaps not used anymore.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Harry, thanks again for the link. It was really interesting!

Dougoh, you should get a prize for your post. YES - it's in Pepto Bismol. If you go to Harry's link, there are great posts on there about it. Pepto can be very dangerous! That's a new one on me.

Susan posted some real good stuff about what they used to do to cats to de-worm them and stuff. Incredible.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Duplicate post.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Pepto-Bismol still contains 262 mg. of Bismuth subsalicylate in 15 ml.

http://www.pepto-bismol.com/liquid.shtml

Today's medicines still use toxic ingrediants, just in smaller, more strictly controlled quantities.

As for flea remedies for cats, one of my cats has a dime size ball spot from Frontline. And my last visit to the emergency room was from using a spray to kill flea eggs in carpeting. It caused my blood pressure to rise to extremely high levels and petechiae to appear over my entire body. It's been a year and a half, and I still have some of the petechiae marks. Many over the counter flea remedies for cats today cause irreversible kidney damage.

Households today are much more toxic than in Victorian times. Fire retardants in carpets and drapes, for instance. Anybody see the movie The Sixth Sense and how the mother poisons her child with common household cleaner in a way that fooled the doctors?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you so much for bringing these things to our attention, Cynthia.
I think people don't realize the amount of poison around them. Just stopping and thinking about it can help us protect ourselves. That's a good thing.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Wow - Cynthia, I'm sorry to hear about all your difficulties from those flea treatments. They are potent. Yes, thanks so much for posting your info.

I saw "The Sixth Sense" - it's one of my favorite movies. I don't recall the lady killing her kid as you say. But then, I think I've only seen it once from start to finish. The other times I'd catch it like when it was part-way into it. I should just buy the DVD.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Bismuth is still current augusta, tho admittedly not a word you'd trip over too often in common usage.:wink: See http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/bismuth
I staid the night for shelter at a farm behind the mountains, with a mother and son - two "old-believers." They did all the talking...
- Robert Frost
augusta

Post by augusta »

Thanks, Doug. From Merriam-Webster online:

Bismuth: "A heavy brittle grey-ish white chiefly trivalent metallic element that is chemically like arsenic and antimony and that is used in alloys and pharmaceuticals."

It says the word comes from the year 1668.

Their entry for "bismuth sybsalicyate" says that word comes from 1941.

Hey, they have word games on there!