Fall River Politics

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

Fall River Politics

Post by Shelley »

Wow- I just heard the new mayor has fired all of the city's department heads! Just yesterday I was happily chatting with the Oak Grove superintendent and now he is fired too! The new mayor is having a crackdown on everything from cell phones to professional dress. I bet he is a pretty unpopular guy tonight. I just hope the new Oak Grove projects are not in jeopardy. Only in Fall River. . . . :sad:
Lefty and MB- I bet you can tell us a few things!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:cherry:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I cannot recall a precedent for this. Well, MB, maybe some new people coming in will be more helpful to your case. I feel bad for Tom Eaton at Oak Grove. I was just in his office making plans for the new Friends group yesterday and 12 hours later he is GONE. Poor man did not see this coming. I can't say I like Correia's style. Time will tell.
http://www.heraldnews.com/homepage/x1295930212
GilC

Post by GilC »

Shelley, relax! The new mayor didn't fire all the department heads, he asked them all to submit their resignations. His plan is to meet 1 on 1 with each department head to discuss the operations of each department and the future plans of each department to better serve the residents of Fall River. When all is said and done most of the resignations will not be accepted. I think the only people in jeopardy are those whose competence has come into question recently. The head of the Community Development Agency has already been let go for improper use of agency funds to fund positions in the previous mayor's office. The head of the Board of Elections should be faxing her resume after the last preliminary election fiasco. There may be a few others but it isn't going to be as drastic as it sounds.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Well that's a relief, Gil. I read the Herald, and it sounded pretty GRIM. I like Mr. Eaton, and was worried for him. A lot of us are not getting any younger, and I know he really does love Oak Grove. It's hard to find work after 60. The front page with that man carrying out two televisions, and the Herald's emphasis on a Big Housecleaning where the 6th floor Mayor's office is the only place which might comment to media was scary- and the gag order imposed on all employees too.

I like the Mayor's, "Pride City Wide" ideas, I just tremble a bit at the sweeping measure 12 hours after his inauguration. I dislike all politics and have zero interest in politics of my own hometown- so one might wonder why Fall River's has any fascination. I see the need for some big changes there, in a lot of departments. So I will watch with some interest to see if this newly elected guy will be able to make some positive changes which the city really needs. I really want to see where he stands on preservation of historic buildings and neighborhoods.