Unique gravestones at Oak Grove Cemetery

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Mark A.

Unique gravestones at Oak Grove Cemetery

Post by Mark A. »

While doing some research at Oak Grove Cemetery today, I came across a few unique gravestones. The 1st is of a house or mill. I think that it's a cotton mill because the name on it is Stafford and there is a Stafford Mills here in Fall River. Maybe it was made for the original owner of the mill. This stone is unbelievable! It's solid granite thru-out. It's neat how the mill windows are carved.
The second is in the shape of a tree stump. It looks like a petrified tree. I've seen one of these before in a jewish cemetery in Connecticut but never in Fall River. I thought it was cool if that word can be used when refering to gravestones.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark A.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Nice pictures, Mark. Does anyone in Fall River give guided tours of Oak Grove?

Here in Fairhaven, we have guided tours of River-Side Cemetery several times a year. (The next two are Sunday, September 19, and Sunday, October 10, at 2:00 p.m.) This is one of the most popular tours we offer in town, with up to 100 people showing up sometimes for a ninety-minute walk.

River-Side was created in 1850 by FDR's grandfather Warren Delano II. A Lizzie-related grave on the tour is that of Eli Bence who is buried with his wife's family, the Maxfields.

It seems with prominent people, including the Bordens, and such interesting grave art, Oak Grove would be a good place for tours.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Thanks Mark. Oak Grove is the one place I didn't have time to see when I was in Fall River. If I ever go back, I'd love to have a good look around. That tree stump is something else.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thanks, Mark. I like the one of the mill, the windows are really neat! It looks almost like a doll house. :smile:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks Mark! Yes they are unusual!

If I see another tree stump I think I will "Do a Bridget!" :smile:

The monuments look so clean and well-cared-for. That is really nice to see.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:arrow:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:arrow:

Yes, Just interesting.........like the one above.

North Burial Ground. fall river.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yes, the sphere monument was much-desired by those who could afford one when they first debuted. They became a hot property when the technology became available to carve granite into a globe shape. You don't see many of them in Oak Grove or Old North- in fact I think I have seen only one in Old North.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I am more than happy to show people around Oak Grove and show them
all the notables. They don't call me "Cemetery" Jeff for nothing LOL
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Thanks Mark and MB for the photos. I have seen them all last time I was at Oak Grove and Old North but that was probably 10 yrs ago. I remember the Benedict Arnold grave also. If I ever make it back to Fall River Jeff I will book you for 1 of your tours.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."