This molasses not slow

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

augusta

This molasses not slow

Post by augusta »

I found this article in a 1919 newspaper. It sounds like a hoax, but I guess it isn't.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

It's not a hoax. I've read about this several times over the years. First time I saw it it might have been in one of those great People's Almanac books that the Wallace/Wallechinsky clan put out in the '70 to '80s
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh yes! The Great Molasses Flood! It was a tragic thing. I remember reading about horses and people being sucked down in the thick stuff, breaking legs, and all sorts of horrible things. It was in a Weekly Reader back in 1958- funny the things we remember. I think the gas came from a slow fermentation in the tank- what a dreadful way to die. Here are some photos from the Boston Library http://edp.org/molasses.htm
Steve Puleo's book Dark Tide has many more photos.