Hey HAR' who are these people....

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

mbhenty

Hey HAR' who are these people....

Post by mbhenty »

Harry

Post by Harry »

Yes, it was a long job, but fun. I always wanted to know just what was on Second St. at the time of the murders.

It was a pretty mixed neighborhood. I'm looking forward to reading Mary Naugle's article.

Yes the Churchill house must have had a revolving door. There were names mentioned in the newspapers at the time as being there that were not in the directory. I don't know who the person was at the Kelly house either.

Do we know what rules there were for determining who made it into the directories?

We need to get the 1893 Directory as I think they span years. ie the 1892 one covers part of 1891 and 1892. If that's true then the 1893 one would include info on 1892.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
diana

Post by diana »

I may be interpreting her testimony incorrectly on this point, but I've always wondered if Mrs. Churchill was a little reluctant to talk about the fact that she took in lodgers.

Here she is at the Inquest:
"Q. You live in the next house to Mr. A. J. Borden?
A. Yes Sir.
Q. Up or down stairs?
A. Down stairs, or all over the house, there is only one family."

At the Preliminary Hearing, she answers "yes, sir" to the question as to whether she occupies the whole house where she lives.

Later, at the trial, when Moody asks her if she occupies the whole house she answers in the affirmative:

Not until Robinson's cross-examination do we get a solid indication she shares the house with paying guests:
"Q. Who are the members of your family, first?
A. My immediate family, my mother and sister and her daughter, and my son and the man who works for us.
Q. I mean those that ....
A. Then we let rooms to other people.
Q. You live on the side of your house towards the Borden's?
A. Live all over the house.
Q. Oh, do you? [It would be interesting to hear his tone here.]
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I suspect she may have been sensitive on the topic of being obliged to supplement her income. People were far more private about their personal finances then. Perhaps it seemed a negative reflection on how poorly her husband had provided for her. Ladylike widows had a hard time of it.

I wonder if Addie Cheetam was boarding or just visiting on August 4th.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Boarding is when you sleep there and eat there right? And rooming is when you just sleep there? Maybe they ate at Mrs. Tripps. :smile:
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

If only her family lived on the side towards the Bordens, and her son was a butcher, she might be afraid to draw him into the circle of suspects.