Academy Theater Photos

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

stuartwsa

Academy Theater Photos

Post by stuartwsa »

While browsing a website called "Historic American Buildings Survey," I found some rather interesting photos of Fall River--particularly of the Academy Building. There are some of the interior, which I had never seen before; I believe they were taken in the 1960s. There also photos of some other buildings as well. Click at the link and scroll down to the Fall River listing.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections ... aceM5.html
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

It is a nice site, with drawings as well as b/w photos. I also liked the mill photos. I had planned to spend the afternoon shooting pix of the Academy building in the snow but have gotten snowed in here in CT and can't get up there.
The staircases are magnificent- too bad someone did not photograph the building before it started looking seedy inside. The mural panels around the central theatre chandelier must have been magnificent once.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Thank you for bringing those photos over to the forum, Michael. My computer skills ain't the best, and wasn't sure how to do it.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Kat

Post by Kat »

Cool Stuart! Thanks!

Here is a map piece from 1891. It has (above the number 4):
Rodman, Plymouth Lonsdale, Lowell, Nashua that MB mentions.
The mill in the photo, upper middle, with the two towers, burnt to the ground in the early 80s. A Gas station and Tire Shop stand there today. Well to the right is Plymouth Avenue, the large road. The mill in the upper right hand corner is the Doval Mill which still stands today on the corner of Plymouth Ave and Rodman street. Just below that, off to the right and off the photo, the shorter mill, has since been demolished and a Walgreens stands there.

To the left of Plymouth avenue is Blacksotne street and then Lonsdale Street to the left of that. Part of Blackstone was removed, along with the parking lot you see upper middle and the mill between Plymouth Avenue and the parking lot and a Shop and Stop Supermarket stands there. (Only in Fall River would they remove a city street and give it to big business.)

But, what I find of great interest is the Richard Borden Tenement Houses. (two rows of buildings with black roofs) They stand way over to the left in the photo. There were 19 multi apartment buildings inside a block area, between Rodman, Lonsdale, Lowell and Nashua Streets. All gone, along with the history they encompassed.
--partial MBhenty

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »