Ghost Signs

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Okay- let's build this thing. First- we need a title- which I will leave to "The Natives"- then we get Len (who knows every great breakfast place in town and where to get the best pancakes), Lefty and MB, and Steve, and whoever else knows the places to chow down to let loose with the golden memories. Remember Manila Jade -best pancakes anywhere, and the Highland Avenue Spa, now cleaned up and making great breakfasts ? You can usually catch Bob Dube there on Saturday with the breakfast boys' club!
I think candy stores, bakeries, dives, diners, drive-ins are all legitimate game/ I think I actually have a 40's postcard somewhere of Almac's on President's Ave. We could all write an Ode to Almacs! And the candy counter at McWhirr's. I am shameless about asking chefs for recipes -and of course- taking photos. :wink:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

MB, all this good stuff should be on a blog!
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

MB, is the A & W still located on Townsend Hill on S. Main? You are right, the clams were excellent there. You had me rolling on the floor with your story about the Sword and Shield :lol: Similar story happened to me. Some friends and I were cruising and I spotted the Sword and Shield and I suggested we stop in for a few drinks. I was totally oblivious to what kind of club it was. My friends were the ones that pointed out to me that sure we can stop there as long as you know it's a gay bar. I had no clue. We did land up going in for a few beers. I think for Fall River to have a gay bar back in the late 70's early 80's was a brave thing. I also remember the Huge windows of Salvos and i'm now thinking that it didnt so much have a 2nd level as a basement level. I think when you first walked in you had to go down some stairs and the 1st level and basement level were all one open area.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Tina-Kate

Re: Ghost Signs

Post by Tina-Kate »

Tina-Kate @ Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:42 am wrote:Here in my town, we have an old sign that sez "FURNITURE" attached to a building with the letters spelled out in wood. It can be seen in a photo from the 1870s & still exists today, tho the business is LONG gone. (Wish I had a digital camera so I could share!)
OK---I just got a digital camera & this is my 1st shot.

The buildings are a little distorted so I could get the sign to be as visible as possible (it's rather in the shadows).

“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

This one's for you Steve! Remember where this is?
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

I want to say that sign is facing 2nd st. and is on the west side of 2nd st. near Durfee-Buffinton Insurance.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

It's on Morgan Street Steve, just across the street diagonally from Lizzie's grammar school. Does anybody bowl anymore?
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

LOL i was way off Shelley. I knew i had seen it many times before but I could not remember just where. I used to bowl at Walko's at Globe 4 corners when i was growing up.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Michael Martins tells me the crystal chandelier in the foyer of the Easton tea house was once in the old Durfee Theatre. Beautiful. The Cinema Treasures website has this to say about the old Durfee . I recall the sad day when the Durfee was razed. And another sad day when the China Royal closed. My daughter and I went for a farewell dinner. Those were the good old days. http://cinematreasures.org/theater/6448/ How I wish I had met Maude Darling-Parlin, the architect- what a gal! It must have broken her heart to see the Durfee torn down. At least we still have the Eagle Restaurant, and some of her other designs still standing. http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/travel/pwwmh/ma73.htm
You can type in the names of other FR theatres to get info also.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Then I was right on in my mind. I knew it was near Durffee-Buffinton because that was my car ins. co. for yrs. since I 1st started to drive and I remembered parking under that sign many many many times. Does not that parking lot face 2nd st.?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

YES!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Well Steve- you have inspired me to get cracking. I have been waiting around to see if any foodie blog would appear from our last discussion on the previous page of this thread. Lefty, over at View from Battleship Cove has urged me to finally get my act together -and so, blog # 4 for Fall River http://fallrivereats.wordpress.com/ is up and running. I am game to try anything, so if you know of any good places , I am ready to take fork in hand. I have a few dozen places to be starting with but I know there are many more salted away in alleys and side streets!
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

I haven't had a chance to look at the new Food Blog yet Shelley but when I do I hope I can add my own 2 cents worth. :grin: I miss alot of things from back home but the food is right up there on the top of the list.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh, I will be looking forward to that Steve! I'll bet you must have memories. Did I tell you Manila Jade closed? They had the best pancakes in the city.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

OK, my stupidity and "old school" ways is going to show big time now......I don't know the 1st thing about blogs. How do I post anything on them? I don't have a clue.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Is that "Darling" related to the "Darling" who designed the A.J. Borden building? And is that "Darling" related to one of Laddy's wives?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Darling is a fairly common name in New Bedford and Fall River-there are some in Oak Grove. I would not be surprised if there was some connection.
Maude was too young to have designed the AJ Borden building (she was not born until 1885). Her grandfather Joseph M. Darling established the firm and her father George continued the business. George is a likelier candidate.

I am currently tracking down some of the more than 100 homes Maude designed in the city- not to mention theatres and civic buildings. I was delighted to learn she was also involved in preserving the Luther's Corner's museum! Article for the Hatchet? Well- YES actually- that's the aim! :grin:
Kat

Post by Kat »

I love these "Ghost Sign" pictures here.

Page 23, Rebello, Lizzie Borden Past & Present --George M. Darling designed the A. J. Borden Building. I guess I need to do a tree or something. I always wondered about those "Darlings."

Yes Maude Darling's too young, but it would be interesting if she was related: it would be a talented family, if so.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

George Darling was Maude's Father- and also her brother was named George.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Steve- to post a comment, just scroll to the bottom of the post and click on "No comments" and a box will open for your comments. Easy to do. I always have a look at the comment before it goes up thanks to spam freaks, so it may take a few hours to appear on the blog.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Shelley @ Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:34 am wrote:George Darling was Maude's Father- and also her brother was named George.
Where does this come from, please? Then I can get a tree going to see if Laddy is in there. Thanks.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh, any online bio of Maude Darling Parlin will tell you about her family. Her mother was Frances (Maude's middle name) and she had another brother a year younger named Edward. Her grandfather and father and brother were all architects. I am at present working on an article about Maude and her exisiting designs in the city. She designed many of the theatres and over 100 private homes and many civic buildings. There will be a slide presentation on the Painted Ladies blog next week of Maude's designs. She was quite a gal for her time. Of course she had the support of her parents, brother and spouse which helped. She was an MIT grad and also worked at Pratt in NYC. She only died in 1979- I would love to have met her. Her grandfather, Joseph M. Darling, in 1889 had an office at 49 Bedford St in the Metacoment Bank Bldg. and lived at 121 Rock St. There are other Joseph Darlings in town, including one on New Boston Rd., so it can get very confusing. Maude was active in preserving Luther's Corners too, which Mr. Becker knew all about when I was there this week. She was quite a gal, Maude.

Darling is not an uncommon name in the area, I have checked ancestry.com without results, for her family tree. Ladwick's wife Eliza may have descended from the New Bedford Darlings (one of which is in my husband's family tree).
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you. But, please excuse me- I am asking for your source? I Appreciate it!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Ancestry.com has the Fall River city directories and death records with the family information, addresses, etc. all there. Women Architects in America also has plenty of Maude's academic background material. My other sources on buildings she designed in FR and other places will be in the upcoming article.

Of course, it is possible Eliza Darling Borden might be in the Maude Darling Parlin family tree, but since Eliza was not actually a blood relation of Lizzie's, the possibility that Ladowick's wife might have been a relative of the architect loses interest for me pretty fast. Maude had three children, who are probably still alive- that seems a promising idea for some follow-up to be pursued.
mrcody

Post by mrcody »

I don't know if this is the right place for my question. But I saw someone mention the "Sword and Shield". I'm doing some genealogy research on my wife's ancestors. Prior to 1920 they lived at 619 Pleasant. I believe this is the property that became the sword and shield. I remember as a child it was a restaurant my parents went and took me to a few times. Now it's a small strip mall with Dunkin Donuts and Dollar Depot. My question is, does anyone recall a fire at the property about 1920 or know where I can find out? Based on the 1900 and 1910 census, I think it was a 12 unit building. Possibly similar to the one across the street down a bit. 4 units high, 3 units wide. In particular the ancestor I'm researching was Manuel Duarte. He has a few children. He shows in City Directories until 1918 at that property. But in 1920 his 2 youngest daughters are now with another family that was living at that property but now Bristol, RI. The wife ended up remarrying but the girls began showing up as her daughters. So what happened to Manuel, why did this woman (Emily Miranda) move away and care for Manuel's children. 2 other families related to Manuel also were living at this property and moved in 1920. One to Langley street, the other to Doyle St. My morbid fear is that there was a fire at this property with deaths occurring. Why else would everyone in a 12 unit property all suddenly move. Why would Manuel's children be living with someone else and He and the rest of the family not show up anywhere else in history? Unfortunately I can't find any death records. Please help if anyone knows. Thanks.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Mrcody:

Lots of questions and ones that would need extensive homework and research. I wish you luck. I had a friend of mine, lived in Somerset, who cut my hair for 30 years. His name was Donald Duarte. He died about 3 years ago.

As for the Sword and Shield, it did not stand where the plaza is today. It was located about a block or a couple of hundred feet east of the strip mall. Same side of the road or around where the police station stands today and very close to and across the street from the old Firestone store.

The restaurant I remember that stood at the strip mall place was called Sambo's. It was one of those stainless steel buildings. Photo of Sambo's is below.

I remember once as little boys, we were walking down Pleasant Street, and by Sambos, on the way home from fishing the Quequechan just off the Plymouth Avenue bridge. This was in the late 50s. We grew up poor and were always hungry. We stopped to watch this one guy eating his dinner. The counter at Sambos was right up to and along the window. The customers faced the street. We were amazed by how much food this fellow had in his plate and how fast he was sucking it down. So we just stood there, our noses practically up against the dinner glass, watching the fellow eat. He became very angry, displayed his fist, and shooed us away. Upset my friend Johnny took a deep breath, cleared his throat, and let out a huge runny blob of virescent viscid spit right onto the window. The cook came out and chased us up Pleasant Street as we ran dropping our fish and can of worms along the way. If he caught us we would get a good whipping. And it was not like you could go home and complain to your parents. This would only bring you another thrashing. Not like today.

:study:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.