Max's Own Little Thread

This is the place to discuss the city and the locality of the murders and the surrounding area --- both present and past.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

Max's Own Little Thread

Post by Shelley »

Max has become such a fixture at the Borden's house, and a favorite with guests that he deserves his own little place. Here are two pix from yesterday of Mr. Max on the prowl.
Image (Come down quick Maggie!)
Image :cat:
Angel

Post by Angel »

I must have missed this along the way. Where has Max come from? Is he a new resident?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Max is owned by the folks who live in the Kelly house next door. Thing is, they really do not take very good care of him so LeeAnn has been feeding and sheltering him throughout the winter. Max loves people and will go to everyone. I always ask the guests if they are allergic, and if not, Max goes on tour and watches the documentaries and movies at night, goes to seances, sprawls on the rug, and lives in the lap of luxury. The Kelly house was just put on the market and I do not believe the people plan to take Max, so I think he is now an official Borden.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Oh how perfect! I love it. He's sleeping in my room when I come. I'm booking him now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

He's so lovely.

I hope you get to keep him.
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Michael

Post by Michael »

I can't wait to see Max in May. Yes, he is certainly a very sweet cat, and I hope he finds a great home at the Borden B&B.

What do you plan to do with Max if the Borden B&B "adopts" him, but a guest has allergies? Can you put Max in the basement? (Or perhaps, Shelley, you can bring him home.) He'd be a great companion> : )

Wait until I tell Katrina about Max tonight. She is going to be very excited to meet him in May.
Q. "You have been on pleasant terms with your stepmother since then?"
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
A. "It depends upon one's idea of cordiality, perhaps."
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Max is so handsome!!! You're right Shelley, he deserves his very own thread! :grin:

It seems as though the people who live in the Kelly house couldn't give a rip what happens to him since LeeAnn has been the one feeding and sheltering him. It would be a shame if these people plan on taking him with them when they move; and if they do take Max with them, what will become of him?

I hope you are right in believing these people do not plan on taking Max with them; hopefully they will decide to leave him with LeeAnn.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Lee-ann

Post by Lee-ann »

Well, it's official. Max is ours. The people in the Kelly house moved out this past week and left him here.
I just made him a myspace page. He's becoming so popular I thought he should have one.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Hurray! He will soon need someone to manage his fan club! Max for President!
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Partial quite by Lee-ann @ Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:25 pm wrote:Well, it's official. Max is ours. The people in the Kelly house moved out this past week and left him here. ...
:cheers: This is so cool, Lee-ann!!!
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Lee-ann @ Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:25 pm wrote:Well, it's official. Max is ours. The people in the Kelly house moved out this past week and left him here.
I just made him a myspace page. He's becoming so popular I thought he should have one.
That's deplorable, really. Thank goodness he has another "family" to welcome him next door! Did they realize what they were doing?

My friend's cat Thomas (on Ginger Toms thread in Stay to Tea) was simply left behind to fend for himself. And he's one of the best cats I've ever known; well behaved, intelligent, sweet, etc etc.

The lucky ones get new homes, but what about the abandoned ones who don't?

I don't understand people who do that.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Good for you, Lee-ann! Image

Looking forward to meeting him.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Partial quote by Tina-Kate @ Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:19 am wrote:
Lee-ann @ Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:25 pm wrote:Well, it's official. Max is ours. The people in the Kelly house moved out this past week and left him here.
That's deplorable, really. ... Did they realize what they were doing? ... I don't understand people who do that.
Perhaps these people knew exactly what they were doing. I think these people did Max a favor by leaving him behind - it was not only the right thing to do, it was a kind and humane thing for them to do. Shelley stated in an earlier post that these people did not take very good care of Max, so I think it would have been a shame if they would have taken him with them. Why people abandoned pets is beyond me, however, in this case, Max was left with people who obviously love and take good care of him.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Yes, he's a very lucky little guy. Or actually, a very smart little guy to have sought out the folks @ 92! It's a good thing cats can be so resourceful.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Yes, Max is very lucky to have found a loving new home with people who care about him. Animals know which humans accept them and which ones don't.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Hopefully Max won't be like the cat in this YouTube video cartoon. Mine is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rb8aOzy ... ture=bz303
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

That was a riot Harry- as SO like a cat. I have sent it to all my catloving friends.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Good one, Harry! Cats sure have a mind of their own, don't they? :grin:
patsy

Post by patsy »

Max is quite the handsome guy, and it's great he found a happy home. So many cats are dumped it's pathetic. My cat is a stray who came one Christmas and joined us for dinner.

Very nice pictures.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Harry @ Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:27 am wrote:Hopefully Max won't be like the cat in this YouTube video cartoon. Mine is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rb8aOzy ... ture=bz303

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a great cat animation...I love when an artist manages to capture an animal's basic shape & movement.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

I lived in a "haunted" house at one time. My cats always sensed our ghost before I did. They also avoid certain specific areas in the house.

Have you noticed any psychic abilities in Max? He might be more effective than TAPS.
Angel

Post by Angel »

It will be interesting to see if he picks up on anything.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I frequently see Max staring at something invisible to me. Last weekend he sat at the foot of the front staircase and looked up the front stairs with a rapt expression for long time, then meowed, swished his tail, arched his back and stalked into the parlor. I watched all of this from the parlor chair through the doorway. Unsettling!
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Now, if only he could speak English... :smile:
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

I can't wait to see Max in May. I'm so happy he is now part of the house. Shelley the picture of you in the black dress holding him is one of my favorites. I think that is just the most fantastic photo. I watched the Simon Cat video and just went crazy laughing. I had to have my hand over my mouth because Ted was sleeping & I didn't want to wake him up. Well, you know what happens when you don't want to laugh right!!!! I must have been three shades of red by the time I was able to stop.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

:cat: Thanks! Max always improves any photo. The black ensemble is a new one from Recollections (in Michigan). For years I made all the dresses for the house but this mail order place is actually as cheap and they do beautiful work. I always wait until the items are off-season clearance and buy them then. I just got a black velvet mourning ensemble for nearly half price as it is now off season. The outfit in the photo with Max is actually a black twill skirt and a black cotton blouse. The sleeves stay pouffed up with crinoline inserts tacked in- they think of everything. The workmanship is excellent on all their clothing. I have ordered quite a few new duds for our May gathering as they have been going on sale over the winter. I just got a calico, for at the moment there are some summer previews on the sale page.
http://www.recollections.biz/
The Ladies of Recollections now know all about Lizzie and enjoy seeing photos of their clothing in the Borden house!
This just arrived which I found in the clearance bin and is made of flannel- it is so comfortable and toasty!
This one is on sale and has beautiful leg o' muttons. I got it in Concord purple with a black velvet belt.
The serviceable long white cotton apron fit for mutton cooking is on sale too at the moment. They always send you little free thank yous like gloves or haircombs, and they will make anything to order, in your size and if you need it quick- you can give them the date and they deliver! I described the Abby dress as shown in the crime scene photo and they had it to me in 2 weeks. It came with the wrong sleeves- no leg o' muttons. After one call they remade the dress in one day, Fed-Exed it overnight at their expense and I had it ontime for August 4th! And the best part is they make clothing for REAL bodies - so sizes go from 2- 26 which is more than I can say for McCall's and Simplicity patterns!

Sometimes LeeAnn and I have to run out to the grocery store off Plymouth Ave to pick up something for the house, and we run in the store decked out. As busy as it gets in summer, we never give it one thought, but some funny reactions have come our way! And if it is a Fall River native- they ALWAYS get the Lizzie connection when they spot the leg o' mutton sleeve. Funny! :grin:
Of course under all these skirts, you must have at least one petticoat
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Oh Shelley----This site is out of this world. What beautiful clothes!! I can't wait to see the dress you got. :grin: Your right, it's one of the first sites like this that has us real size people in mind, and they will make the alterations to fit. I can't imagine putting on one of those ball gowns. It must put you in a whole different mind set wearing those clothes. I just love the black outfit, what type of material is it made out of?
Angel

Post by Angel »

Sometimes I wish those dresses would come back into fashion again- they are so feminine. About 15 years ago I bought one and wore it to a Gettysburg reinactment and it was wonderful. And the men actually acted different- I was trying to step over a pile of rocks near the encampment and a couple of guys rushed to my side to assist me over the rough spots. I'm sure if I had been wearing jeans they wouldn't have noticed me. lol
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I have been wearing these vintage-styled clothes since I was 13. Naturally I was thrilled to bits when the "granny dress" became fashionable in the early 1960's and had them in every color. When I got to college in 1969, the maxi, midi and mini skirt craze was going full-tilt and so I got to have my long skirts for another 4 years without raising any eyebrows and come prom time, everybody in my dorm was my friend as I had a closetful of maxi skirts and maxi coats to loan out.

Yes,- men are totally different animals when they see a gal turned out in ruffles and glorious, sweeping long skirts. The 1890 "morning glory" skirt with the wide flaring skirt bottom is actually very cool and comfortable. Sometimes I have to don Edwardian attire for Titanic evenings and those 1912 hobble skirts and monster hats are not as user friendly as the 1890s. Once I attended a Titanic affair in Texas and had to wear one of the cartwheel hats on the plane as it was too huge to pack. It had a mountain of black ostrich feathers and a 14 inch hatpin. The pilot actually walked back into the cabin to see this hat! I breezed through security as the guards said "Honey, if you were trying to sneak something by me, you would never be dressed like this!". Total strangers (mostly men) walked right up in the airport to compliment the hat, open doors, smile etc. Yes, I think the more clothing you have on, the more intrigued the fellers are to see what might be UNDER it all! :grin:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The Victorian Trading Company is also nice for accessories, but rather expensive. I just got this teagown for the May 18th Titanic banquet in NYC.
http://www.victoriantradingco.com/

YAY! Plus sizes!
Angel

Post by Angel »

I loooooooove that dress!!!!

You're right about the hoop skirts- if you don't wear the layers of pantaloons and what all under them they are quite breezy and cool. Try getting into a portapotty though.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh yes- port-a-potties! The trick is to compress the back of the dress on each side with your hands, pushing the mass of fabric forward so the fullness pops up in front- then back into cars, potties and sofas gracefully.
Works like a champ! The average cotton calico dress or skirt and basque (waist, blouse) has about 7 yards of fabric in total- which makes BURNING one in a kitchen woodstove QUITE ridiculous and smelly and smoky- that is, unless, you'd have something to HIDE on that dress and could not risk it being seen. Mmmmm. :wink:
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

What a fantastic evening dress. Shelley, I'm really curious to hear about this banquest you're going to. Do you have a webpage for the group you belong to?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh yes- this is a group I and 6 friends began nearly 20 years ago. Our most exciting adventure has been going out on the dives and helping with the artifacts and conservation. http://www.titanicinternationalsociety.org/
There is a link to our convention and our blog. I am archivist and webmaster (and I guess blogmaster!!)
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Thanks for the link Shelley. I found it quite interesting, and will certaily spend alot more time on it. There sure has been alot of work done on the site and it looks really nice.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Max at the B&B has lots of namesakes. The most popular cat names:

Male = Max

Female = Chloe

See the top 100 here: http://www.babynames.com/Names/Pets/

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh! I needed to see that kitty in a hammock ! Too sweet!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Really great pic of you Shell, as your Avatar!!
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

I have to say Shelley, Kat's right, you look like you belong in those clothes. You sure you're not a time traveler?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh, that photo was from one of the 1990's Lizzie Expos. A few of us Early Second Street Irregulars did some singing and skits and talks and tours in beautiful carriages (in character). I believe this was the last Expo (1995 I think). We held this one at the Congregational church (before it was the Abbey Grille) and our carriages left from there.

I recall this was the year I finally got inside the house on Second Street. Miss Josephine had passed away and Ron Evans saw a bunch of us at the Down Under Cafe looking wistful in our costumes, and asked if we would like to see the house!! After I picked my heart up and could speak, we all said "AND HOW!!" -my daughter and her friend were with me. Mrs. McGinn's furnishings were still in the house- her TV console set where the black sofa is now, her bed in the diningroom. She would have slept exactly where Abby and Andrew had been laid out. The thing I recall vividly is the cellar. I was completely blown away by the atmosphere in those little rooms. I went to work at the house 3 years later- although I never could have dreamed of it on that day. The regular actress on August 4th had to go to California and I had 3 days to write a new script and fill the role. I wrote one with myself and Emma sitting in Lizzie's room, talking to visitors about what had happened as they came through the house. I have been doing a new script nearly every year since. I find doing Victorian conversation much easier than contemporary conversation- scary- huh?

Oh, I love Victorian clothing and have traipsed around in it since I was 12. My parents were "worried". I suppose it comes from being raised by Victorian grandparents in a rambling old Victorian house. James Cain, who wrote Mildred Pierce and The Postman Always Rings Twice lived in the house where I was born in the early part of the 20th century. The house was torn down for no good reason other than the wife of the town council was unhappy logging trucks would go by her door once a week. I did not know it was happening and was devastated- it was the only house in town to be torn down.

I used to make all of my clothing but now I have found a great catalogue company which makes stuff as cheaply as I can. http://www.recollections.biz/ Most of home made dresses are in Bridget's room for re-enactments and for guests to parade around in. I also collect Victorian mourning jewelry- and furnishings- Renaissance Revival and Eastlake. I would go back to 1880 in a New York minute- no regrets. Actually there are quite a few "old souls" walking around.